Not a phone or tablet guy - can I still use an EUC?

Paddle2See

Hey folks,

I'm really intrigued by these electric unicycles - they look like a lot of fun as well as a practical means of cheap transportation (for fairly short distances).  My problem is that I don't have a smart phone or a tablet.  I do have a windows laptop with bluetooth that I often have with me.  Is it possible to use an EUC effectively without a phone or tablet?  Are some models more useful for a "tech-handicapped" person like me?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

You can borrow a friends phone for a 1/2 hour or buy a cheap tablet or pick up a junk phone. Some people have their old phone just sitting around.  You can use WiFi to download the app and then use Bluetooth to set the wheel. No phone service needed. Once you set the wheel up you should not need the phone again.  I have an old junk phone that I use while riding in case I drop it. 

1 minute ago, RockyTop said:

You can borrow a friends phone for a 1/2 hour or buy a cheap tablet or pick up a junk phone. Some people have their old phone just sitting around.  You can use WiFi to download the app and then use Bluetooth to set the wheel. No phone service needed. Once you set the wheel up you should not need the phone again.  I have an old junk phone that I use while riding in case I drop it. 

Awesome!  That sounds like a way forward.  Just so long as I don't have to pay monthly phone bills.  I just have to find a cheap phone with both WiFi and Bluetooth.  Thanks so much.

9 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

You can borrow a friends phone for a 1/2 hour or buy a cheap tablet or pick up a junk phone.

+1 with that, my wheel only connects to Android and I use an iPhone so I bought a very cheap android phone to configure it.

Even if you have no knowledge or interest in phone technology it is no barrier, I’m sure you can find a teenager (or even younger) who will be able to wiz though whatever you need to do in minutes ?, I’m slightly horrified at just how proficient my 2 year old Grandson already is with an iPad!

6 minutes ago, Paddle2See said:

I just have to find a cheap phone with both WiFi and Bluetooth.  Thanks so much.

That is pretty much all of them these days - just check that it has an operating system that is compatible with the app, some apps need at least a certain version of Android or IOS - again any teenager should be able to help ?

I have heard that android is better.  I have only used IPhone on my new Kingsong and GotWay.

Iphone software requirements  (software version not phone)  If I remember correctly the iphone  6 came with IOS 9  over three years ago.

Inmotoin  IOS  9 

KingSong  IOS 8 

GotWay  IOS  8

Ninebot IOS 8

Android software requirements 

Inmotion 4.1

KinSong 4.4

GotWay 4.3

Ninebot  4.3

just borrow someones phone to change the settings how you lile them on the wheel and then never use a phone again. Phone is usually only used to unlock speed limits, set the riding mode and so on. you dont need a phone for everyday use. Just maybe once for setting it up. But you can also just ride with the limits that are set and never use a phone if you have to. But fiddling a little with it is a good idea

On 7/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, Paddle2See said:

Awesome!  That sounds like a way forward.  Just so long as I don't have to pay monthly phone bills.  I just have to find a cheap phone with both WiFi and Bluetooth.  Thanks so much.

I bought a $20-30 Android phone at Dollar General. Walmart will have them that cheap too, and then on trips where you want to use the app you'll have a phone to do so. And you can take photos of your EUC travels with your cheap Android phone too. No phone contract necessary.

Archived