FPV drone racing

This channel has many reviews of drones and quadcopters.  I used to watch it more when I was flying my Syma X8,  a cheap clone of a Phantom with no GPS.  Had a lot of fun going up about 200 feet and doing slow rotation with the camera recording to a micro SD card, then watching the video on the computer.

My only GPS quadcopter was a Cheerson CX-20, which crashed when a prop came off, after that it wouldn't fly right.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC90A4JdsSoFm1Okfu0DHTuQ/featured

Image result for syma x8c

Edited by steve454

On 8/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, steve454 said:

This channel has many reviews of drones

The Tello looks like fun for $99 and even better with a wifi range extender. Ground scan stabilization makes for a stable hover.

CX 20 is a big one!

• Like 1

@steve454

Motion sensing drone auto correction ..... A thought.

BoofCV:

If you use an Android phone and it can run 'BoofCV' from the app store it has a bunch of demos of computer vision.

This one is called KLT pyramid tracking. Motion between video image frames becomes  displayed as a line from points on the tracked object. The length of the line is magnitude of change and the direction is as shown by the line. 

Perhaps ground sensor assisted drone auto hover using ground image detection and processing uses something similar to cause software-directional-change input to the drone resulting in a stable hover over a place at a given altitude. Plus GPS input as well!

BoofCV tracking with KLT pyramid function

On 7/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, Keith said:

Whilst generally I feel that drones shouldn’t even be seen as flying machines

At Plum Island airport today the affiliated RC flyers club had the field. In the air is a model with a prop diameter of about 10 inches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

In the air is a model with a prop diameter of about 10 inches.

Are you sure, that seems an awfully small prop for a 4-stroke motor? It would have to have a motor of less than 0.40 cu in to be as small as 10”  

Even the little foamy biplane I’m flying below has a 12” prop:

36 minutes ago, Keith said:

Are you sure, that seems an awfully small prop for a 4-stroke motor? 

It could easily have been a few inches larger. When starting it with his hand his 4 fingers were smaller than the section of prop he was turning. He jumped back with each attempt to start it (6 or more turns). I took a rough guess at the prop size based on his hand size  as seen from the distance in the video. Here it is on the ground (P51 Mustang?)

Large RC plane

Large RC planeLarge RC plane

The wind sock is a 'for real airport sized' one.

The clubs website in Facebook is

https://m.facebook.com/Plumislandrcflyers/posts

A jet flew before it.

Nice video of you and your flying field...the runway is a bit short though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...