Topping up inmotion V8 battery charge

veryfastracer

My V8 doesn't seem to want to accept further charging when battery is at about 50%+. If anything, instead of charging, it either holds the same charge or even depletes a little. 

If I ride it close to depletion: say about 20-30%, turn it seems to charge normally (I've gotten it to about 95% charge. I am using the stock charger. 

Does this seem normal? Any additional info out there? I love this machine. I take it often to work (about 17kms away). Charging is slow!!! Thanks.

I can get it tested. Another note: the charger shows a solid red light up until it reaches about 55% after that, it stays mostly green and at times shows red intermittently. I've been monitoring charging with wheelinfo app on my Android phone. This is where  I'm getting the percentages.

Very likely a bad charger. We seem to be seeing a few of these falling. Check the output voltage. It should be around 84.5V with no load. If your wheel is only charging to 55% then the charger will likely read in the upper 70v range. 

Up to 60% currently. This would be the second charger sent to me by Jason as the 1st one was doa. Wheel info currently shows 76.70V. 

Should the light on the charger be green right now? This is the part I don't get. I would expect a red light until battery is fully charged... Sort of like a laptop charger. 

I don"t own an InMotion, but every charger I've owned (four EUC and two hoverboard) the red light turns green only once the charging has completed.   Unless maybe there is a fault with the BMS?  I'm not sure whether the battery BMS might have something to do with the problem. Best to check the charger output voltage as a first step. 

7 hours ago, veryfastracer said:

Up to 60% currently. This would be the second charger sent to me by Jason as the 1st one was doa. Wheel info currently shows 76.70V. 

Should the light on the charger be green right now? This is the part I don't get. I would expect a red light until battery is fully charged... Sort of like a laptop charger. 

The wheel should reach 84v and then stay at 84v for probably half an hour before the light turns green as the charger will run in the constant voltage decreasing current saturation stage until the current drops from 1.5A to 500mA. Once green it should stay green. 

33 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The wheel should reach 84v and then stay at 84v for probably half an hour before the light turns green as the charger will run in the constant voltage decreasing current saturation stage until the current drops from 1.5A to 500mA. Once green it should stay green. 

Thanks to Hunka Hunka and Warped. This is helpful information that should allow me to troubleshoot. Will post findings when I know more.

So here is the update on my issues:

As mentioned earlier, when charging my wheel with the stock charger that Jason had sent me earlier in the year, I was struggling with getting any consistency. I could, at times, reach a charge of about 90%, but that was at best and rare. To achieve this, I would have to leave the charger on for about 24 hours. 

As of late, I had not been able to reach any charge above 66%. At about 60%, the charger light would turn green and the charging process would slow right down. Upon reaching 66%, the charge would actually begin to drop. At one point, it dropped to below 50% while being charged. I have been using Wheelinfo app to figure this out. 

After posting here on Monday, my charger finally quit. No more green light, no more red light... The wheel was no longer responding to being plugged in. 

I desperately contacted Jason to ask him to send me a replacement charger. He offered to send me the latest fast charger and discounted the initial price I had paid for the stock charger. He shipped the new charger for free (to Canada).  I received it yesterday (2 days later). 

Wow! Not only is it fast, but my wheel got a full charge yesterday for the first time. I can finally get an idea of autonomy on a full battery. Super happy that it was indeed the charger and not an expensive battery (not yet at least). 

I love that I will be able to charge to 80% and get the most out of my battery from now on.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Archived