New toy, MCM5 experience...

31 minutes ago, maltocs said:

sure, it's all yours, just meet me at the thirty ONE mile marker.... oh, i'm sorry, I forgot, you can't get that far.

That was a low blow man :efee565ab0:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, maltocs said:

It's so pretty, especially the little white sticker!

I was hoping for 10a delivery so I can charge it all day and leave work a little early to ride but it didn't come until 3p with only 20% battery life. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow ?

2018-07-31.jpg.f0a035939397461ce387f998ef6d98ef.jpg

800 Wh, Im little jealous, but not as jealous as @Marty Backe :w00t2:

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That was a low blow man :efee565ab0:

I probably just jinxed myself, Knowing Gotway, my luck, and karma, they'll come out with a 1020Wh version tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I probably just jinxed myself, Knowing Gotway, my luck, and karma, they'll come out with a 1020Wh version tomorrow. 

That's GREAT, I am getting mine on Friday, I am willing to give you my sticker as yours is going to Marty... Meet you at mile marker 38... LOL :whistling:

Don't worry Marty, I got your BACKE.... :D

My thoughts on MCM5 after 230 miles.  Contrary to my initial thought that MCM5 being 14" wheel I figured it will be closer to ACM2 than Mten3.  But now I've noticed MCM5 is cannibalizing Mten3's ride time.  To me MCM5 is closer to Mten3 than ACM2.  I would of never guessed... :confused1:

Yup gave my little Bimmer a stress test to get home to see my new girl friend MSX.  It's narrower than I expected only 20% charge.  It's on the charger now will take it out after couple of hours for initial ride...

I absolutely love my mcm5 , it’s my go to wheel here in nyc. The quick acceleration and agility can’t be beat, I feel it’s the “wheel of the year” so far.  

The design of the mcm5 without pads and contact on your legs is fabulous.

I highly recommend it!

Just now, Mrd777 said:

I absolutely love my mcm5 , it’s my go to wheel here in nyc. The quick acceleration and agility can’t be beat, I feel it’s the “wheel of the year” so far.  

The design of the mcm5 without pads and contact on your legs is fabulous.

I highly recommend it!

I actually learned on a padless Ninebot S1. I bought shin guards from amazon but after two days of waiting for prime shipping, I got used to padless. When I got the MTen3, it was very natural to NOT use the worthless pads. When I got the V10F, it was a totally different riding experience having to learn how to use pads on a high wheel. Now I'm back to basics where I started with the padless MCM5. Can't believe this Friday will be 3 months to the day of receiving my first wheel, what a ride (pun intended) so far. 

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

I actually learned on a padless Ninebot S1. I bought shin guards from amazon but after two days of waiting for prime shipping, I got used to padless. When I got the MTen3, it was very natural to NOT use the worthless pads. When I got the V10F, it was a totally different riding experience having to learn how to use pads on a high wheel. Now I'm back to basics where I started with the padless MCM5. Can't believe this Friday will be 3 months to the day of receiving my first wheel, what a ride (pun intended) so far. 

Yeah, you're doing fantastic for 3-months.

Sure am glad everyone is enjoying the MCM5 :thumbup:

With only 50% battery, I decided to take it around the hills in my hood. The MCM5 was beeping a lot at me while climbing. I never really ride the MTen3 on hills so I'm unsure of Gotway alarms. I know it's not speed , i'm not going too fast, so it must be AMPS or WATTS is my guess.

I was looking into various apps to get some insight on the beeps.

The Android Gotway App only has options to disable 1st and 2nd alarm, and one for open alarms which only causes the MCM5 to beep and app returns a "send a success" notice, but doesn't really tell me what the alarms are.

The iOS Gotway App only has alarm options to pick one 1) default alarm, 2) turn off 1st Class alarm, 3) turn off 2nd class alarm, and 4) open all alarms, also doesn't tell me what these alarms are.

Using the iOS Darknessbot app I can only possibly tie the alarms to AMPS or WATTS. My AMPS never went higher than 65 but my WATTS were bouncing to red 2500W. I can't see number to be correct. I was only doing about 10mph on a hill i can easily do with the V10F with no overloads. 

I didn't get a chance to play with Wheellog extensively but I believe it was giving me AMPS and WATTS number similar to Darknessbot.

Can a seasoned GOTWAY user shed some lights on this beeping. Anything I should be worried about? I was planning on taking a big hill ride tomorrow, but if it can't do the easy hill here without it yelling at me, it won't be able to do tomorrow's hill. Thanks.

49 minutes ago, maltocs said:

With only 50% battery, I decided to take it around the hills in my hood. The MCM5 was beeping a lot at me while climbing. I never really ride the MTen3 on hills so I'm unsure of Gotway alarms. I know it's not speed , i'm not going too fast, so it must be AMPS or WATTS is my guess.

I was looking into various apps to get some insight on the beeps.

The Android Gotway App only has options to disable 1st and 2nd alarm, and one for open alarms which only causes the MCM5 to beep and app returns a "send a success" notice, but doesn't really tell me what the alarms are.

The iOS Gotway App only has alarm options to pick one 1) default alarm, 2) turn off 1st Class alarm, 3) turn off 2nd class alarm, and 4) open all alarms, also doesn't tell me what these alarms are.

Using the iOS Darknessbot app I can only possibly tie the alarms to AMPS or WATTS. My AMPS never went higher than 65 but my WATTS were bouncing to red 2500W. I can't see number to be correct. I was only doing about 10mph on a hill i can easily do with the V10F with no overloads. 

I didn't get a chance to play with Wheellog extensively but I believe it was giving me AMPS and WATTS number similar to Darknessbot.

Can a seasoned GOTWAY user shed some lights on this beeping. Anything I should be worried about? I was planning on taking a big hill ride tomorrow, but if it can't do the easy hill here without it yelling at me, it won't be able to do tomorrow's hill. Thanks.

But you have an Mten3. All Gotway wheels, circa 2016 and later, share the identical configuration behavior. So I don't know what you did with the Mten3.

In any case, when you click the first alarm, that turns it off. When you click the 2nd alarm, it gets turned off. When you click the "Open All Alarms" button, that re-enables the first two alarms. Isn't that obvious? Common man, use your common sense. :facepalm: ;)

The first two alarms are triggered by speed. I always disable them. The 3rd alarm is power related. On the earlier Gotway wheels there is some thought that it is triggered based on a fixed speed. But certainly the newer wheels trigger the alarm based on the speed and available power. As the battery level drops the 3rd alarm speed drops.

You will never hear the 3rd alarm when climbing hills since it is a max speed alarm, not max power/amperage alarm. So you were probably hearing the 1st alarm sound (I forget at what speed that's triggered - it's different for each wheel).

There is a low-battery alarm that kicks in when the battery percentage drops below 15%, forcing you to lower your speed until the alarms stops. As the battery level continues to drop, your max allowed speed also drops, until you're going something like 3-mph. So if your battery is at 20% but you start climbing a steep hill that drives the battery percentage below 15%, you'll start hearing the beeps. But you shouldn't be climbing steep hills at 20% battery.

RECAP: Click the first alarm button followed by the second alarm button. Maybe turn off tilt-back too. Fully charge the wheel. Have fun.

You will only hear Gotway wheels beeping in the hills when your battery percentage dips below 15%

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But you have an Mten3.

First of all, thanks for the detailed explanation. It was most likely the low battery combined with the hill climbing making the battery dip even lower. The app is not as obvious as it seems. With the iOS app, you choose one of the 4 options, a check mark appears by your choice. There is no 3rd alarm option. The Chinese really need to spend some money on Human Factors Engineers. 

With the MTen3, it is such a fun wheel, I just ENJOYed it. I never even used any app. I never did hills other than small hills and never got below 35% battery. Only in Miami when I was speeding along the beach sand it would beep every time I hit a bump.

My short ride confirms your assessment that this wheel is a big MTen3 but more stable at high speeds. It's so nimble and maneuverable.... and fun.

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

First of all, thanks for the detailed explanation. It was most likely the low battery combined with the hill climbing making the battery dip even lower. The app is not as obvious as it seems. With the iOS app, you choose one of the 4 options, a check mark appears by your choice. There is no 3rd alarm option. The Chinese really need to spend some money on Human Factors Engineers. 

With the MTen3, it is such a fun wheel, I just ENJOYed it. I never even used any app. I never did hills other than small hills and never got below 35% battery. Only in Miami when I was speeding along the beach sand it would beep every time I hit a bump.

My short ride confirms your assessment that this wheel is a big MTen3 but more stable at high speeds. It's so nimble and maneuverable.... and fun.

BTW, I hope you understood that I was just having fun at your expense for not understanding Gotway's logic in naming the Alarm buttons :whistling:

Will be interesting to see what you think of it when charged to 100-percent.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I hope you understood that I was just having fun at your expense for not understanding Gotway's logic in naming the Alarm buttons :whistling:

hey @maltocs don't feel bad... I had the same misunderstanding when I got my Tesla... and I also got a similar "sarcastic" response from "EL REY" without the half assed apology...  :roflmao:

Funny thing is, when you knew to all this, you just dont get things, but when you had multiple wheels for a while it appears to be to common sense. Don't feel back @maltocs most of newer users get pick on to a degree and @Marty Backe gets picked on the most (we all just like him that much, lol).

Here is a screen capture of WheelLog from a ride of my Tesla to demonstrate the 3rd alarm:

At point 1 I got the 3rd alarm, I exceeded 80% of available power. At point 2 no alarms, so the 3rd alarm is not tied to speed, but to power usage.

wheellog-1.png

2 minutes ago, NECway said:

Here is a screen capture of WheelLog from a ride of my Tesla to demonstrate the 3rd alarm:

At point 1 I got the 3rd alarm, I exceeded 80% of available power. At point 2 no alarms, so the 3rd alarm is not tied to speed, but to power usage.

wheellog-1.png

interesting... Thanks...

Well, this forum has me so afraid to burn out a Gotway, I have to worry. btw, I bought my MTen3 used, and the previous owner silenced all the alarms for me. The only thing I ever used wheellog for was to check the battery. And I kinda baby the MTen3, I only ever rode it on basically flat or small inclines and probably never more than 20mph, faster than I care to ride that little rocket. 

So on my midweek day off with no kid to take care of (very rare for me), I spend the day climbing two hills, You can read about my V10F 28 overloads in the other thread.  

I charged the MCM5 to 100%, fired up wheellog, silenced the speed alarms, set the Temp Alarm at 70F and the Current Alarm at 85A and started climbing what I call HALF of Mt Wilson. The ride from Verdugo Park to Tongva Peak (the Glendale Antennas) is about 4 miles / 1900 elevation (Mt Wilson is 9mi/4500ft, very close same consistent incline)

I made it about 3/4 the way up to my destination and I hit the temp alarm set at 70C. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the vibrations, hitting OKAY to acknowledge didn't seem to do anything. I finally just set the Temp alarm at 75C to shut it up. I continued my climb after letting it rest for about 10 minutes. At my destination, it was 74F. I NEVER did hit the Amp Alarm.

Today with all my gear, I was 205lbs, it was 85F to 90F during the ride. If I compare to the V10F, I'm very impressed with the power and peppiness. I was not babying it like I do the V10F to not get an overload, I was just riding like I normally would averaging 10mph up the hill and way too fast on the way down. I love the agility. I steer with my feet not my inner shins so it's a much quicker to turn esp when going super slow. The V10F is definitely smoother with that fatter bigger wheel and it comes down bumpy hills better. 

What I don't like is I'm literally holding my phone in my hand the whole time to feel for alarm vibrations. I won't feel it in my pocket and I don't have a pebble watch. I wish wheellog had an audible alarm that i can hook up to my bluetooth headset or get a phone holster closer to my ear. I tried to kill my V10F today by overloading it in the heat. I'm 100% positive that thing can't be destroyed because has too much overly cautious self-preservation built in. But my new carbon baby, i'm not so sure. Am I being paranoid? Do Gotways have ANY self-preservation built in?

Ride Summary, 205lb Rider, 85F-90F, average 10mph up 1900 ft /4 mile consistent climb. Hit 70F 3/4 of the way up, and 74F at the top. Amps never got higher than 80A.

Another GOTWAY alarm question. I hear 90 Amps is a good setting for Power, what is a good Temp? I picked 70C today because that is the highest I've ever seen V10F get before it overloads. 

Verdugo Park to Tongva Peak copy.jpg

26 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Well, this forum has me so afraid to burn out a Gotway, I have to worry. btw, I bought my MTen3 used, and the previous owner silenced all the alarms for me. The only thing I ever used wheellog for was to check the battery. And I kinda baby the MTen3, I only ever rode it on basically flat or small inclines and probably never more than 20mph, faster than I care to ride that little rocket. 

So on my midweek day off with no kid to take care of (very rare for me), I spend the day climbing two hills, You can read about my V10F 28 overloads in the other thread.  

I charged the MCM5 to 100%, fired up wheellog, silenced the speed alarms, set the Temp Alarm at 70F and the Current Alarm at 85A and started climbing what I call HALF of Mt Wilson. The ride from Verdugo Park to Tongva Peak (the Glendale Antennas) is about 4 miles / 1900 elevation (Mt Wilson is 9mi/4500ft, very close same consistent incline)

I made it about 3/4 the way up to my destination and I hit the temp alarm set at 70C. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the vibrations, hitting OKAY to acknowledge didn't seem to do anything. I finally just set the Temp alarm at 75C to shut it up. I continued my climb after letting it rest for about 10 minutes. At my destination, it was 74F. I NEVER did hit the Amp Alarm.

Today with all my gear, I was 205lbs, it was 85F to 90F during the ride. If I compare to the V10F, I'm very impressed with the power and peppiness. I was not babying it like I do the V10F to not get an overload, I was just riding like I normally would averaging 10mph up the hill and way too fast on the way down. I love the agility. I steer with my feet not my inner shins so it's a much quicker to turn esp when going super slow. The V10F is definitely smoother with that fatter bigger wheel and it comes down bumpy hills better. 

What I don't like is I'm literally holding my phone in my hand the whole time to feel for alarm vibrations. I won't feel it in my pocket and I don't have a pebble watch. I wish wheellog had an audible alarm that i can hook up to my bluetooth headset or get a phone holster closer to my ear. I tried to kill my V10F today by overloading it in the heat. I'm 100% positive that thing can't be destroyed because has too much overly cautious self-preservation built in. But my new carbon baby, i'm not so sure. Am I being paranoid? Do Gotways have ANY self-preservation built in?

Ride Summary, 205lb Rider, 85F-90F, average 10mph up 1900 ft /4 mile consistent climb. Hit 70F 3/4 of the way up, and 74F at the top. Amps never got higher than 80A.

Another GOTWAY alarm question. I hear 90 Amps is a good setting for Power, what is a good Temp? I picked 70C today because that is the highest I've ever seen V10F get before it overloads. 

Verdugo Park to Tongva Peak copy.jpg

Nice report. I knew the MCM5 would be the killer wheel, even at your weight :P

You really don't have to worry about the heat. I would disable that alarm. Gotway's do not self-destruct because of the heat. They reliably force you off the wheel via tilt-back when the temperature reaches 79-degrees. Of course when I'm doing something strenuous I'll monitor the temp and sometimes give it a little break if I see the temperature heading to 79.

The amp draw is much more important. From my long experience on different Gotway wheels, I use 90-amps as an indicator of extreme load. As long as that alarm does not sound continuously for more than literally a handful of seconds, I feel safe riding the wheel continuously.

Gotway wheels do not have a self-preservation mode, except for the temperature. This is why they burn up control boards vs KingSong, Inmotion, Ninebot, etc. So you must learn your wheel and the easiest way to do that is buy a Pebble watch. With the MCM5 you've joined the big boys club. Time to spend a little $$$ and get yourself a Pebble watch :D

With the watch you will then learn what activities put a stress on the wheel. Hopefully you'll discover that the MCM5 just doesn't get stressed (except maybe for heat). Then start saving your nickles for an MSX B)

P.S. The WheelLog alarms don't stop until the condition goes away, which I think is a good thing.

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So you must learn your wheel and the easiest way to do that is buy a Pebble watch. With the MCM5 you've joined the big boys club. Time to spend a little $$$ and get yourself a Pebble watch :D

Just wanted to save you a small nightmare which I recently had and @WARPed1701D helped.... Pebble watch was purchased by FitBit... they are not providing any support for the watch currently... after buying a new phone, I was not able to add the wheellog app to the pebble app list so it would connect... http://rebble.io/ is where you need to go to resolve this issue... they have taken over servicing the Pebble community presently... Walmart.com has a black pebble for sale right now for $39... not going to find one much cheaper... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pebble-Smart-Watch-for-iPhone-and-Android-Devices-Black-301BL/44890523

10 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Just wanted to save you a small nightmare which I recently had and @WARPed1701D helped.... Pebble watch was purchased by FitBit... they are not providing any support for the watch currently... after buying a new phone, I was not able to add the wheellog app to the pebble app list so it would connect... http://rebble.io/ is where you need to go to resolve this issue... they have taken over servicing the Pebble community presently... Walmart.com has a black pebble for sale right now for $39... not going to find one much cheaper... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pebble-Smart-Watch-for-iPhone-and-Android-Devices-Black-301BL/44890523

Wow, great price, and thanks for the info - very helpful!

8 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Excellent!  Any tips for grabbing a cheap Android to host wheel log on?

2 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

Excellent!  Any tips for grabbing a cheap Android to host wheel log on?

You can buy a super cheap LG phone at Walmart. It goes without saying that you don't have to activate it.

13 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Thanks! purchased and awaiting shipment. 

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice report. I knew the MCM5 would be the killer wheel, even at your weight :P

You really don't have to worry about the heat. I would disable that alarm. Gotway's do not self-destruct because of the heat. They reliably force you off the wheel via tilt-back when the temperature reaches 79-degrees. Of course when I'm doing something strenuous I'll monitor the temp and sometimes give it a little break if I see the temperature heading to 79.

The amp draw is much more important. From my long experience on different Gotway wheels, I use 90-amps as an indicator of extreme load. As long as that alarm does not sound continuously for more than literally a handful of seconds, I feel safe riding the wheel continuously.

Gotway wheels do not have a self-preservation mode, except for the temperature. This is why they burn up control boards vs KingSong, Inmotion, Ninebot, etc. So you must learn your wheel and the easiest way to do that is buy a Pebble watch. With the MCM5 you've joined the big boys club. Time to spend a little $$$ and get yourself a Pebble watch :D

With the watch you will then learn what activities put a stress on the wheel. Hopefully you'll discover that the MCM5 just doesn't get stressed (except maybe for heat). Then start saving your nickles for an MSX B)

P.S. The WheelLog alarms don't stop until the condition goes away, which I think is a good thing.

GREAT info. I'm glad gotway has at least some warning before it melts itself. 

Alright FINE, I'll spend the extra $34 for the red Pebble from walmart, just bought it. It's less than the price of ONE of my wrist guards :) I just didn't want to spend the time to learn how to sideload apps. I didn't want to wear two watches as I like using the GPS watch. I like the fact it runs completely independent of all my connected EUC stuff so if it had to reset the EUC or Phone or whatever, the GPS watch is still going. I'll just do the velcro mount on the wrist guards like many of you do. I'd still rather have an audible warning IN MY EAR on my headset. i don't think i'd hear or feel vibrations otherwise. Plus the AMP and TEMP numbers in wheellog seem only to be available on the swipe left screen in very small numbers, hard to monitor at a glance when climbing a dirt hill while trying to avoid the next pothole.

Archived