New toy, MCM5 experience...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

hey @yourtoys7 was curious if the little vent louvers are removable from the side covers... Since I do not want to spend $150 extra and wait 3 months, I was thinking of maybe painting those a different color when mine comes in in a few weeks...?

Not from inside, looks like they are just attached from outside somehow, so its possible, dont no for sure.

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

well, had to open after that rain and to my Surprise :blink: barely any water, Gotway A+...

ufzcaBN.jpg

very little, I do mean couple of drops, impressed...

Couldn't help but notice that the control board says MCM5 "HS". I wonder if that means that there are high-torque versions out there.

17 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

I don't feel too bad, all this cash could be going into so many other places that she would defiantly have an issue with...

Exactly, tell her it is keeping you out of the strip clubs... :D

500 km update, I came this far with some Bad and Good experiences... if you are experienced rider and need more of a commuter wheel (DONT BUY THIS), If this is your first wheel or getting 2nd, 3rd etc. absolutely BUY THIS NOW.

I have Dualtron II as my main commuter (being fixed now). So this wheel came as alternative and NOT 2nd wheel, so when Im not able to ride my Dualtron II and I only have this wheel to ride to commute, it is slow, comparing to (I miss my Msuper v3s)...

My BIGGEST draw  back to this wheel is speesd... (39km/h max), It can be negative and positive. 

You can go very, very slow with this wheel, maneuver between pedestrians is amazing. Perfect 1st. wheel, it feels like there is no stopping.... until you hit 35-39km/h and on and than you realize, lack of more power/ speed could be a Huge negative. If you ever need to pull away or push forward, you're done, this wheel just wont go any faster than 35-39 km/h. At moments like this, you realize very quickly how Msuper v3s is better. If you have a stretch of path that you could accelerate (guess what, no way).

If I could turn back time, would I buy this wheel again Absolutely (for experience alone). To go slow in traffic, portability etc.

Please... dont get me wrong, I really, really like this wheel a lot, Im just comparing it to what I had in the past and how I ride. Msuper..., there is something about 18" the way it absorbs the the path, speed (I dont' mean to go fast, but to be able to accelerate if need be). I almost wanna say its safer because you can pull away if need be.

I guess I would rather have v8 power, so I can just pull away when I want :)

10 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

500 km update, I came this far with some Bad and Good experiences... if you are experienced rider and need more of a commuter wheel (DONT BUY THIS), If this is your first wheel or getting 2nd, 3rd etc. absolutely BUY THIS NOW.

I have Dualtron II as my main commuter (being fixed now). So this wheel came as alternative and NOT 2nd wheel, so when Im not able to ride my Dualtron II and I only have this wheel to ride to commute, it is slow, comparing to (I miss my Msuper v3s)...

My BIGGEST draw  back to this wheel is speesd... (39km/h max), It can be negative and positive. 

You can go very, very slow with this wheel, maneuver between pedestrians is amazing. Perfect 1st. wheel, it feels like there is no stopping.... until you hit 35-39km/h and on and than you realize, lack of more power/ speed could be a Huge negative. If you ever need to pull away or push forward, you're done, this wheel just wont go any faster than 35-39 km/h. At moments like this, you realize very quickly how Msuper v3s is better. If you have a stretch of path that you could accelerate (guess what, no way).

If I could turn back time, would I buy this wheel again Absolutely (for experience alone). To go slow in traffic, portability etc.

Please... dont get me wrong, I really, really like this wheel a lot, Im just comparing it to what I had in the past and how I ride. Msuper..., there is something about 18" the way it absorbs the the path, speed (I dont' mean to go fast, but to be able to accelerate if need be). I almost wanna say its safer because you can pull away if need be.

And so we have more confirmation that true enthusiasts need a "STABLE" of wheels for different situations... :thumbup:

Nice :cheers:

I suspect that you knew it wasn't going to be a substitute for a cruiser like the V3. This wheel excels where you want to zip around with high acceleration, and climb hills if you have hills to climb.

@Marty Backe I knew it never would, I just didn't realize how much I would miss my Msuper v3s... MCM5 remind minded me of its little brother years back "mcm3" but matured/ faster and more powerful, I hope I wont have to sell it in order to get X or Z10, lol. mcm5 is in a league of its own...

3 hours ago, Marcglider said:

No mountains here is Central FL, but i will give mine a nice home, the stork should be dropping it off by next Friday... :D

With any luck, I should have one next week also!!! Can't wait to test the hills with it. 

4 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@maltocs I just came back from a 20km ride, man... what rocker, this wheel seems like it has endless torque... I can only imagine what Msuper X and other have in store :w00t2:

I get mine delivered tomorrow Tuesday. I'll test it a bit to get comfortable with it. I just need to learn how to MONITOR gotway warnings as to not burn it out. With my V10F, I didn't really have to babysit it as it complained when it was being overworked. Wednesday I'll take it for a HALF epic hill climb, exactly half of Mt Wilson to the Glendale Antennas (half the distance and half the elevation). @Stan Onymous, do you feel a need to test your new KS?

12 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I get mine delivered tomorrow Tuesday. I'll test it a bit to get comfortable with it. I just need to learn how to MONITOR gotway warnings as to not burn it out. With my V10F, I didn't really have to babysit it as it complained when it was being overworked. Wednesday I'll take it for a HALF epic hill climb, exactly half of Mt Wilson to the Glendale Antennas (half the distance and half the elevation). @Stan Onymous, do you feel a need to test your new KS?

Be prepared to be impressed. You may never want to ride the V10F again ;)

5 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

Yep, it's definitely the alternative I'm looking at.

Love my mTen3 (I have some content on my YouTube if you want to see it in action and hear opinions), the MCM5 arrives this Thursday so I'll be offering some thoughts.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Edddeus said:

This looks nice! You made a good choice! Would you say the acceleration/torque is even more eye watering than the M Super? It looks very discreet, I like the idea that you can ride at snails pace if needed. I am deciding on either this or the Mten3. Let us know how you solve the flappy foot plate problem. 

Same comment as above, though I'll add I have a borrowed mSuper V3 84v I've been riding this week, so I'll try to remember to add some thoughts about that as well - normally I would not think to compare a 10" wheel to an 18" wheel....

On 7/15/2018 at 5:48 PM, Tommy Le said:

How much does the mcm5 cost? What’s the weight? I am waiting for Jason to stock the mten 3. Should I reconsider?

See above.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:54 PM, dieterGRAMS said:

The MCM5 is probably the perfect <10 mile wheel. Currently riding a Tesla(loaner) and MCM4 with an MSX arriving this week. I have to say the 14" wheels are something special. I got to ride a MCM5 at the z10 demo but i'd really like to spend a bit more time to compare the raw torque to the Tesla. Still looking to jump on an Mten3 too 

Which has better torque? MCM5 or Mten3?

Probably the 10" wheel with the 800W motor and lower top speed.  I'll let you know for sure in a week ;)

On 7/17/2018 at 10:07 PM, houseofjob said:

Exactly. (well, partly at least)

The longer your pedals are, the more leverage (longer torque arm) you have over the wheel.

I have no clue how any adult can ride on those mini MTen3 pedals, they're like made for children's feet.

I have size 12 feet and ride the mTen3 pedals no problem (16+ miles).  My approach is simple, I use hiking boots with a stiff shank in them for support.  ?   They also protect my ankles and feet somewhat as the mTen3 loves to bite them if you exit it "impolitely" as it were. ? 

On 7/20/2018 at 8:17 PM, Marcglider said:

hey @yourtoys7 was curious if the little vent louvers are removable from the side covers... Since I do not want to spend $150 extra and wait 3 months, I was thinking of maybe painting those a different color when mine comes in in a few weeks...?

From a first look, no. I wanted to paint my as well, but didn't look into it much. I'll remove to cover later on today and post a pic. of the inside, I dont remember how/ if it connected in the inside shell. 

9 hours ago, maltocs said:

I completely agree with @Marty Backe, you will be very, very impressed. If I could have more top end speed in this wheel, I wouldn't look at others, LOL. The amount of torque this little thing has impresses me each time there is a decent hill. Watch @Marty Backe reaction as hes climbing hills in his area.

I completely agree with @Marty Backe, you will be very, very impressed. If I could have more top end speed in this wheel, I wouldn't look at others, LOL. The amount of torque this little thing has impresses me each time there is a decent hill. Watch @Marty Backe reaction as hes climbing hills in his area.

COOOOL... cant wait... mine will be here Friday between 9:30 and 1... :thumbup:

On a different note, my new ACM will be here probably by the end of next week, or sooner... The Stable is "almost full"... I put in for a new Z10, but I want to wait till I see if they work out all the small bugs on their first shipment, and also I don't know how many Jason has coming in and pre-sold... 

I agree....great wheel with an abundance of torque.  Your preferred maximum speed allowances are faster than mine so I am satisfied with the top end. I do find myself riding the MCM5 more than the V10F and Tesla. My Mten 3 is also feeling a bit neglected. 

BTW @yourtoys7, I did my formal and final speed runs on the Z10 today (video shortly). You want the MSX :D

Although the Z10 is certainly fast, at ~26-mph I was constantly riding the tilt-back (which you'll be able to see in the video). This was at ~80% battery.  Even at 100-percent, I don't think I achieved the stated 28-mph. In my opinion the Z10's maximum comfortable cruising speed is ~25-mph. And like all safety conscious wheels, that speed reduces as the battery drops.

The MSX smirks at the Z10 as it accelerates past 25-mph :lol:

Archived