Mechanical Braking for EUCs

Esash

Electric scooters have regenerative AND mechanical braking, but EUCs only have regenerative. Isn't it possible to have disc brake or caliper brakes on an EUC? Perhaps automatically, electronically activated when leaning back? Perhaps even an option mode so that mechanical braking can be turned off, and a "Sport" or "Brake-Assist" mode that can be turned on, for double braking power?

I don't know, it seems like it'd be a good innovation as we see the top speeds of new EUCs reaching the point of "that'll do, thanks. What else can you innovate?"

The added complexity and costs of mechanical brakes, probably of disks, may not be worth the added benefit, and as far more powerful engines comes to market, mechanical brakes may not be needed for most of us.

I do think having no apparent brakes seems very wrong when I open up a wheel. Seems unChristian somehow.

The only times I've wished for better brakes is going down some absurdly steep pavement, and even then I just lean back more, and usually just ski slalom down. It's a non issue for me since I rarely go faster than, say 28 mph, and average 16-22 mph most of the time (and often just under 10!).

For usual riders the electronic brake is enough and probably better than a mechanical one. But for those who want to do trial, specially high jumps, need a manual brake (linked to the brake disk and stop the engine torque)  that allow the lean forward to get a nice up impulse when brake is release. Hope this video can help to get some idea of it can work.

How are mechanical brakes on a self-balancing vehicle supposed to work? Where's the difference to a blown mosfet that shorts the electronics and locks the motor in place, and you faceplant? What changes the rider's position so a motor stopped from balancing without rider input does not lead to an imbalance (= fall forward)? EUCs can't slow down on their own against the rider, how are brakes going to overcome that fundamental constraint?

Anyways, pretty sure with today's powerful wheels, the weakness isn't the motor's braking power (torque), but the tire's traction. The more you lean back, the less force pushes down (and the more of it is horizontal) and provides traction. And if the tire slips, you fall on your behind.

Bikes, scooters etc. can come to a stop on skidding tires. EUCs/self-balancing vehicles can't, that would be an automatic fall.

Electric braking is better than mechanical braking and has been around for a very long time.   80+ years on elevators. Elevators only use mechanical brakes to hold the elevator after it has stopped. 

I did some tests on my MSuperX at 36kph and my bike with hydraulic disc breaks at the same speed.  At first on my wheel the stopping distance was 21 paces by just leaning back.  Then I learned a new method where you basically do a sitting pose and I was able to stop in 14 paces.  On my bike it is 12 paces.  So pretty close to my bike.

I think if you had two dyno wheel generators at either end and either side of the tire that would attenuate at a high reverse lean that would help stop and generate power in either braking or a power failure type of overlean.

You could have a reset button on the underside of the handle like those buttons on the bottom of the garbage disposal units. You may have to turn it on and off to reset them if its not a critical circuit failure.

9 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

EUCs/self-balancing vehicles can't, that would be an automatic fall

The idea isn't use the brake for reduce the speed, is more for stop the wheel spinning when the EUC are static (mechanical brake and power demand must act at unison). That give a extra option what can improve a lot the climbing and jumping capacity of EUC when is used by a expert rider

16 hours ago, Demargon said:

For usual riders the electronic brake is enough and probably better than a mechanical one. But for those who want to do trial, specially high jumps, need a manual brake (linked to the brake disk and stop the engine torque)  that allow the lean forward to get a nice up impulse when brake is release. Hope this video can help to get some idea of it can work.

Wow. Someone get Toni Bou an EUC stat! I'd love to see what he can do with say, a gotway monster.

Archived