InMotion V5F just powered off?

Heroine Smith

Hello everyone :)

I received my inmotion v5f the other day and was excited to try it out today. After a few wobbly back and forth, I jumped off and lifted it up. Then the wheel started spinning like crazy, and the woman shouted "Please slow down, please slow down", and suddenly it powered off. 

And now it won't power back on. It's like it just died. If I put in the charger nothing happens. And since it won't power back on, I can't use the app to check for faults or anything. 

Any help would be appreciated. I already sent mail to the store I bought it from. But that's in another country so I would like to fix it from home. 

Sincerly, H

Hello @Heroine Smith and welcome to the forum!

A spin-out might seem scary, but is generally nothing to worry about. It is normal for the wheel to turn itself off when it reaches a certain speed, so nothing unusual about that. It is, however, weird that it won't turn back on. Have you tried to turn it on again a little later, after letting it rest for a while? That it won't charge is also weird. Too bad on such a great little creature - it's a great beginner wheel IMO! (I learned on the V5F+)

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Everything up until 'it won't power on again' is normal. If you try to turn the wheel by hand does it spin freely or is the a lot of resistance. Is it hard to turn? 

I thought the Inmotion wheels had a cutoff switch in the handle so the wheel would not spin when picked up?  :confused1:

40 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I thought the Inmotion wheels had a cutoff switch in the handle so the wheel would not spin when picked up?  :confused1:

Only if turned on and only if the wheel is rotating under 5kph speed otherwise it will not work.

Here is a thread you may have already read, about a similar problem with a V8.  Several people said that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery  reset the wheel and the power switch worked again.  @WARPed1701D mentioned using a slightly longer press on the power switch.  I had that happen on my Ninebot S1 soon after getting it.  The power switch didn't work a few times, until I got used to how long I needed to hold the power button.

But since your wheel is new, probably best to wait for advice from the seller before opening the wheel and possibly voiding the warranty.  

11 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Everything up until 'it won't power on again' is normal. If you try to turn the wheel by hand does it spin freely or is the a lot of resistance. Is it hard to turn? 

It is abit slow actually. But I don't remember how it was when it was functioning.. ?

There will be some resistance. It will slow almost immediately. If you had a big problem it would be very hard to turn. Almost locked up. You sound fine. A reset would be the next step as described above. See what your seller comes back with. 

5 hours ago, Heroine Smith said:

Got a mail from the owner of the store today. And after describing the problem he sent me a new controlboard. And said that should cover the parts it could be. So looks like I get to open it up ? 

Cool. Try the power cycle first. Also I believe there is a fuse on the board. Look at that too before doing the full rebuild. Be sure to press the power button after battery disconnect to fully discharge the board (might not work in your situation but it doesn't hurt) and be cautious around the capacitors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived