Looking for a starter wheel for larger human - LOL

rotozuk

2 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

That was the perfect choice. You can ride it to take out the trash, go into the hardware superstore, pick up the kids from school ( make them ride their bikes), oh the chores you will accomplish!

Congrats man!

I don't know about those things, but I hope to have fun with it. I know it will go to some trade shows for work, camping trips and lots and lots of stuff around the house. 

I'm not too far, down in San Francisco, living on the hills there.

I'm also keen to get my first wheel and start learning. As the OP, I'm also on the heavier side (225 lbs), and just wanted to say that this thread has been very informative. :)

Sweet - Hope you find a good wheel and start getting some miles in. 

I have only had a chance to do a little tiny bit of playing with it one night. But should get a lot more time on it starting tonight. Need to put some time in on it. Feels very alien right now, hope to be able to put my first miles on it by the end of the weekend. I know I have some learning and muscle building to do based off my 30 minutes of practice with it. 

Dang it sucks having a new toy sitting there teasing you, but too much work to sneak in a little play. 

Good choice with the Msuper v2. You need power. Remember power is not just acceleration and speed, but also safety as in stopping power and heavy duty electrical components.

Sure you do take a hit on a Gotway. Optimally you would maybe do better on a Kingsong 16S or 18L but you did write you bought it for "playing" and not commuting. Then Msuper v2 is fine. 

It's a fast wheel so wear protection. Being a heavier guy means that if you fall you hit the ground harder than the rest so take care.

I have managed to get out and play with it several times now. I honestly suck at riding this thing. I imagine it would have been much easier with a smaller and more nimble wheel. This thing is a tank. LOL My last ride was about a mile at the local airport. They have a nice fence up against a recently paved road and few people around. I warm up by cheating and using the fence, then after 30 feet or so I'm OK to flail my arms about and move away from the fence. What a hoot! I can barely turn, but can maintain a distance now. Far easier with a little speed. Working on keeping my speed up in the turns and getting tighter turns a bit better. 

I have tried to just ride at my house or office areas without cheating with a wall to "warm up" with and it never goes well. Something I guess will come with time. If I warm up with a wall for a minute or two, I do much better. Go figure. I tried to sneak in some practice yesterday without my warmup and drooped the Msuper pretty hard. :( Have mostly caught it prior it hitting the ground. This time it nailed me in the back of a leg before it faceplanted hard on a corner. 

Anyone have any clues how to connect this thing to Bluetooth? I'm told I might need an old V2 Andriod device and a bit of luck..? I think my buddies kid might have one I can borrow. LOL

I see that you have reached the psychological portion of your training. People tend to learn more every time they get on the wheel but have to relearn for the first 5 minutes. When you are learning you don't really know what you are doing right and when you over think or think in general you don't do well. So when you are put on the spot you don't trust yourself because your learned skill is a secret even to yourself.  In this case persistence wins over skill.  

Don't look down. Look in the direction you want to go. 

( Disclaimer -- I am not a real psychiatrist...... How does that make you feel?  ) 

Yep - Pretty much figured that out.

I love what someone said somewhere else. They talked and talked about how to learn, then at the end he addressed how to turn and said something like: "When it comes time to learn how to turn, you will just come naturally." 

Yep, like a paddle board - Don't look down when you are new. At least it is easier to get back onto our EUCs than paddle boards. Heck, I bet I will be much better next time I find myself on a paddle board! 

Lots of chores today but snuck in a little practice. This time at the local high school at the baseball diamond. This is a good training area, lots of fences with smooth concrete on the audience side. Didn't need the warm up this time. :) So pretty quickly went onto the diamond and got my first dirt on the tire,  followed be the first grass. I would love to say that the first grassy hill had been tackled, but it tackled me instead. Came off the MSuper and it swung around and ran the foot pad into my right lower shin. I might need to get some sort of shin guard as this is hurting decently well.

I should probably point out that I'm an old dude at 51, and have not been into board sports. Biking and kayaking in the past, but it has been a long time. Got to build up my muscles again.

• 4 weeks later...

Have not been able to ride as often as I would like, but building time now. I have been transporting the EUC to flatter locations to ride from, but no longer need to do that. Been putting in laps around my house on the hills.  Should ride it a lot more now that I can just hop on and go for a quick spin. Sure is nice on these hot days to go for a quick spin around the block, makes for a nice full body fan. LOL Does take some good lean to get up the hills, and happy I have the bigger wheel size as our roads are well, tired..

Will be going to the mountains this weekend and will take the EUC along for some fun at around 10,000 ft. May use it to transport back and forth between sites on a dirt road at about 10,500 feet elevation. The electric power will be nice there. :)

2 minutes ago, rotozuk said:

Have not been able to ride as often as I would like, but building time now. I have been transporting the EUC to flatter locations to ride from, but no longer need to do that. Been putting in laps around my house on the hills.  Should ride it a lot more now that I can just hop on and go for a quick spin. Sure is nice on these hot days to go for a quick spin around the block, makes for a nice full body fan. LOL Does take some good lean to get up the hills, and happy I have the bigger wheel size as our roads are well, tired..

Will be going to the mountains this weekend and will take the EUC along for some fun at around 10,000 ft. May use it to transport back and forth between sites on a dirt road at about 10,500 feet elevation. The electric power will be nice there. :)

Good to hear!  Yes when you can just jump on the thing anywhere you begin to get better quick. And it becomes more useful.  With more time the hills will get easier. If you ever try a smaller wheel you will be glad you got the 18". The bigger wheels make the ride much smoother and on a smaller wheel big guys have to put so much pressure in the tire that it is a rough ride. 

I enjoy taking mine camping!

A quality wheel isnt better than a lesser quality wheel, if the wuality wheel cant live up to the performance needs, get the wheel that can take your weight, the msuper v2 is gonna be much better than the v8 i can assure you! 

There are a lot of things that go to turning with an EUC. ”It’ll just come eventually” doesn’t cut it in my mind. You can cut down the learning period to a fraction if you know exactly what to practice.

For me it was this video:

Letting the wheel tilt between your legs while you have one knee bent and the other straight(er) is the key to balancing at slow speed, so it will make starting and stopping a lot more controlled as well.

Archived