Looking for a starter wheel for larger human - LOL

rotozuk

Hey all, I'm really loving the idea of playing with one of these and putting it to good use. The issue I will run into is that I'm 6'4" and a little over 220 lbs. If that was not enough, I live is a hilly area. Good times. I'm not sure how well a smaller unit would work for me. I'm open to suggestions, would love to find a deal on a used unit. Living near San Francisco, some occasionally pop up in the area, but they are usually pretty small. Can pay for shipping if you are not local.

If you might have a good candidate or just a good suggestion, I would love to hear from you. 

Thanks all! 

-Wayne

3 hours ago, rotozuk said:

Hey all, I'm really loving the idea of playing with one of these and putting it to good use. The issue I will run into is that I'm 6'4" and a little over 220 lbs. If that was not enough, I live is a hilly area. Good times. I'm not sure how well a smaller unit would work for me. I'm open to suggestions, would love to find a deal on a used unit. Living near San Francisco, some occasionally pop up in the area, but they are usually pretty small. Can pay for shipping if you are not local.

If you might have a good candidate or just a good suggestion, I would love to hear from you. 

Thanks all! 

-Wayne

This chart will give you a good start, look at Max Rider Weight and ESPECIALLY Recommended Rider Weight. Given the hills and your weight, you're going to want to err on the side of maximum power, 2000 watt motor range

eWheels-Product-Lineup-30-Dec-17.jpg

What about the Gotway ACM5?

Looking at its specs, I would guess it would be a fantastic hill climber due to the smaller wheel and powerful engine.

I'm 216, and all my 14 inch wheels feel fantastic going up pavement hills. My MSuper is awful for hills. 

I am 220 pounds  6'3"  and live in the mountains.  If you are a person that will develop slightly better than average skills don't be afraid of the bigger 18" wheels on hills.  If you place one foot further forward and the other back, or if you squeeze the top of the wheel with your legs and pry the wheel forward the big wheels are quicker and more stable up hills. 

The catch for someone our size is that you have to learn and have a wheel big enough. The bigger wheels are heavy and destroy themselves when they crash so they are not good to learn on.  The small wheels are great to learn on but you out grow them the second you have learned to ride on flat ground.  They are not safe for you because you will over power them. The good thing is that if you buy a small junk wheel you can learn on it and let others do the same or pass it on to a smaller person.  

The wheel that is small enough and tough enough to learn on and not destroy but big enough for you to enjoy after learning to ride is the KS16s

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. You confirmed what I was thinking, and also kind of what I was afraid of. I was kind of hoping I would be able to mess about with cheaper, more common wheel for the starter and replace it quickly. My fear of starter with the bigger wheel is exactly what @RockyTop said above, the higher weight can cause a lot more damage to the unit when learning.

There is a guy selling a Glide 3 locally, it might be large enough if I avoid the hills. I imagine for my first few days I will be on flat ground, so don't need to worry about the hills.. What do you think? What would you day a used glide 3 in decent condition is worth? I think it has 700 miles on it. He is asking $700, he has a brand new one also for $800. (It is yet another person that claims they were gifted to them.. Has all of it there, even in the box for the new one..)

Thanks!

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'm 216, and all my 14 inch wheels feel fantastic going up pavement hills. My MSuper is awful for hills. 

Curious, why would this model be awful on hills? By the specs it seems to would be good.

1 hour ago, rotozuk said:

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. You confirmed what I was thinking, and also kind of what I was afraid of. I was kind of hoping I would be able to mess about with cheaper, more common wheel for the starter and replace it quickly. My fear of starter with the bigger wheel is exactly what @RockyTop said above, the higher weight can cause a lot more damage to the unit when learning.

There is a guy selling a Glide 3 locally, it might be large enough if I avoid the hills. I imagine for my first few days I will be on flat ground, so don't need to worry about the hills.. What do you think? What would you day a used glide 3 in decent condition is worth? I think it has 700 miles on it. He is asking $700, he has a brand new one also for $800. (It is yet another person that claims they were gifted to them.. Has all of it there, even in the box for the new one..)

Thanks!

While the Glide 3 might be tempting, you're going to want to travel on those hills as soon as you learn how to ride on the Glide 3. You could just go for it and get the Glide 3, and you might even be able to go up and down some/all of those hills at your weight. 

Either now or later you could keep a regular eye on the Private Sales section of this web site, because at some point you'll see a used ACM or M-Super for sale for 700-800 bucks, and that will give you a lot more power for the hills.

Overall, I'd say you could do worse than the Glide 3 as your first wheel under your conditions, but you also might come to regret your decision depending on the steepness of your hills and your desire to travel more than 15-20 miles at a time.

Some of the wheels I would otherwise recommend might not get to your house for a month, and they'll cost a lot more than the Glide 3.

MCM5 1100-1200 bucks from China (1500 watt motor, #1 hill climber wheel)

Rockwheel GT16 1100-1200 bucks from China (16" wheel, 2000 watt motor)

KS16S 1250-1300 bucks when available

ACM 2 1300 watt 1300-1400 bucks from China

Thanks!

Another benefit of the Glide 3, besides price and build quality, is that it should be an easy wheel to learn on. It's light, 16" wheel is more stable, and the tall body of the Glide 3 is easier to lean your leg against.

Also, if/when you outgrow the Glide 3, you'll have a backup wheel or one for your girl in the photo.

8 hours ago, rotozuk said:

Yeah, I saw that one, but was not sure if it was still active or not. I just sent him a reply. seems like it would be a good fit.

It should be lighter than the newer high power MSupers.   Good fit.

Ok Need some help here.. What do you think would be better for me?

Inmotion V8. Claims to be about 1 month old - Zero miles in the box - $800

or

Gotway MSuper V2 680Wh battery, 330 miles - $700

Both are local enough for me to drive over and get them. 

Kind of leaning towards the V8.

I am 240ish and have ridden a Inmotion V3 Pro, Solowheel G3 and now a V10. All of the units worked well within their limitations. I do not live in a hilly area, but I did push the limits of the G3 with distance/speed/off road riding and it never failed me. The v10 has no issues across the board. A brand (like) new G3 versus a used, several generation old GW seems like a better choice for a new rider (there is one on CL for $700 that you can probably get cheaper with some negotiating). I have s

2 minutes ago, rotozuk said:

or

Darn, just looked at your profile and realized that I am 15 miles north from you. I would let you demo my G3, but I sent it back to Inmotion last week to get a wider tire installed on the unit. 

or

V8 and it's not even remotely close.  You should do more research before you make a decision because you're still in an early stage of learning about EUCs.  

The recommended max weight of the InMotion is 200 lbs. You're in a hilly area too. The InMotion is the higher quality wheel, but probably not for you. The MSuper 2 is being sold by your local EUC dealer, who also comments on this forum. He's a nice guy and I bought my wheel from him.

Anyway, given your weight, plus the fact that you'll be wearing clothes, gear, and anything else like groceries or backpack, and you're well overweight for the InMotion V8. Add in hills, and it's a complete and total no go.

I guarantee anybody suggesting the V8 doesn't have a rider weight of 225-230 like you. 

The MSuper 2 has a bigger wheel, bigger battery, bigger motor 1000W Vs 800W, a much higher max rider weight, and a higher top speed well into the 20s. 

And Nevin/TecToys, who you're buying it from, is probably pretty decent at repairs, and he sells replacement parts too.

And HouseofJob, a super-user on this forum, and one of the biggest EUC connoisseurs here, has made repeated comments about how he misses the rugged aesthetics of the MSuper 2 design.

https://tec-toyz.com/collections/all

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-msuper-v2-high-speed-version

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

Based on 1 review

MSUPER V2

Blair Pine on Nov 09, 2017

I have had the MSUPER V2 for over two years and near 2500 miles without a glitch, couldn't be happier with it and the service from Tec Toyz.

Thanks all! A great help.

I have been reading up on the different models and it all gets a bit confusing for the new guy as there seems to be many different versions, especially with the Gotway line over time. You have the versions, then you will have changes after initial launch. Some have different logic boards in them, but the version or name did not change. I have switched once again and am going after the Msuper V2. I like that is it coming from a local dealer. 

Now for the hard part - Sneaking away to pick i tup without alerting my wife. LOL  She knows I have been researching these for a while, so not a total surprise. 

23 minutes ago, rotozuk said:

Now for the hard part - Sneaking away to pick i tup without alerting my wife. LOL  She knows I have been researching these for a while, so not a total surprise. 

REAL LOL!   ...... ..... When you go to pick it up tell her you are meeting a beautiful woman then when you get home you can show her you were just buying a wheel.  

I have always wanted the V2 MSuper. 

Yeah, she is understanding, but I prefer not to tip her off too much. She has her eye on a new piece of furniture, so I guess it is a trade.. But, I did sell my boat.. I'm going to miss my boat. I guess I'll just remember it fondly as I am exploring on my wheel. :) It will sure take up less space on my driveway!!

I saw a Ks16S for sale from Canada BC, and if he would take the $850 and eat the shipping, this would also be a perfect starter wheel, since it also has a 1200watt motor and the large 840 wh battery. The machine is durable and has bluetooth speakers for wrenching in the garage while listening to the ballgame.

Goes as fast as the Msuper v2 and is much easier to maneuver and less stress on your knee muscles for a beginner. 

Yeah, I had chatted wit the seller of that one. Just too much money.

I picked up the MSuper V2 today. I have a new toy, but too many chores to start the training. Oh well, will brush up with tutorials in the training thread. Was nice chatting with Nevin the owner of Tectoys. I have an e-commerce business also, so we chatted more about business stuff, lol. Very nice guy. 

Off to the next stage.. riding it. 

Thank you all for the help!

Archived