My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I thought you were out  :efee8319ab:

i’m still taking it all in. really hope my 18L gets here before jason requires full payment for the Z10.

it’s been miserably hot and humid here on the ranch with the rain. great for the grass and cows but i don’twant to subject Bob to it as he is still a puppy at only 120 pounds. 

but, when the 18L arrives, i’m taking all my bigger wheels up on my hill and really tackle this field riding.from the 16s up to the 18L. so far i’ve only put the 18s out there. 

i guess nobody rides across grassy fields.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’m still taking it all in. really hope my 18L gets here before jason requires full payment for the Z10.

it’s been miserably hot and humid here on the ranch with the rain. great for the grass and cows but i don’twant to subject Bob to it as he is still a puppy at only 120 pounds. 

but, when the 18L arrives, i’m taking all my bigger wheels up on my hill and really tackle this field riding.from the 16s up to the 18L. so far i’ve only put the 18s out there. 

i guess nobody rides across grassy fields.

I actually do ride across grassy fields. But to be honest it can be very treacherous. The grass hides all kinds of things that you don't want to ride over or into. Can be slippery too.

But I do have a hilly grass field that I'll take the wheel to and see how it handles relative to all the other wheels that I've ridden there. It might not be a cow pasture, but it's what I have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well said. This is an exciting wheel to own (even if my ownership only lasts a few weeks) and I'm always looking forward to the next time I step on the pedals. This is a very impressive wheel in person.

I have a lot more riding to do, and I suppose a show stopper could be around the corner. But I doubt it.

I recently visited and rode the 18L. Although certainly a nice wheel by all accounts, it doesn't stir my primal emotions like the Z10 does :D I kind of feel funny saying this, as the perceived Gotway guy, but I'm now anticipating my personal Z10 more than the MSuper X :unsure:.

but I'm now anticipating my personal Z10 more than the MSuper X :unsure:.

It is all about the FUN. Martys night city ride and Choch insane speed city testing,

made it easy to pick a winner. Thank You, guys!

Z10 seems to be a fun both on low speed curving among pedestrians,

high speed derby in the wild and highway chaising with cars?

It may be positioned right in the middle on my dream wheel list:

Fun in the City___IP5/Mten3___KS14d __Tesla/Z10__MSX__KS18S/Monster___Out of Nowhere

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I actually do ride across grassy fields. But to be honest it can be very treacherous. The grass hides all kinds of things that you don't want to ride over or into. Can be slippery too.

But I do have a hilly grass field that I'll take the wheel to and see how it handles relative to all the other wheels that I've ridden there. It might not be a cow pasture, but it's what I have.

great! 

treacherous and a workout but softer to fall on. gotta watch my thumbs though.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:efefc8626c:  Okay, I got this.  For the discriminating buyer who just can't make up their mind, I present you the "Uni-T!"

uni_T.jpg

As suggested by @nte :lol::

DEFECTOR.jpg

Had to wait until I got home to see your designs. Brilliant as usual, but I think the 2nd one is a bit harsh :cry2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turbocharged said:

@Marty Backe Did you try out the Brake Assist option, some find it helps going down constant downhill slope. It was designed to give the rider a better posture in such situation. Feedbacks for this function varies among Z owners, you may like it.

Turns out I've been riding with Brake Assist on. So it'll be even worse if I turn it off :o I'll experiment more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

No, the speakers worked fine when I had the Z.

There should be a secondary, non-app bluetooth network (ala King Song & InMotion) called "Ninebot XXX" if I'm remembering correctly. It should pop-up via whatever bluetooth network search method is on your phone.

@houseofjob, I can see N30TC1813T0024, with multiple devices. But that's not the sound module. No Ninebot ....  I can't see any app settings to enable the Bluetooth sound.

You don't recall having to do anything special?

Did you test the functionality after you took the wheel apart and put it back together?

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@houseofjob, I can see N30TC1813T0024, with multiple devices. But that's not the sound module. No Ninebot ....  I can't see any app settings to enable the Bluetooth sound.

You don't recall having to do anything special?

Did you test the functionality after you took the wheel apart and put it back together?

Bluetooth is on by default, I wish I can turn it off, I don’t want to play my voicemails via my wheel, but since it’s not password protected, if I don’t connect to it, basically anyone can connect to it at will... and play whatever embarrassing sound ...

you should see a “ninebot” under Bluetooth search.

AD44D521-AB6E-4AB4-9D01-B5D1EB6635D7.thumb.jpeg.7494cd8ecb2eb96237a5d7867bcc0049.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

Bluetooth is on by default, I wish I can turn it off, I don’t want to play my voicemails via my wheel, but since it’s not password protected, if I don’t connect to it, basically anyone can connect to it at will... and play whatever embarrassing sound ...

you should see a “ninebot” under Bluetooth search.

AD44D521-AB6E-4AB4-9D01-B5D1EB6635D7.thumb.jpeg.7494cd8ecb2eb96237a5d7867bcc0049.jpeg

Thanks. I definitely don't see 'ninebot'. Maybe when @houseofjob took the wheel apart the Bluetooth module was affected? Waiting to hear if he tested it after putting the wheel back together.

BTW, usually you can "forget" a particular device and then the phone won't auto-connect.

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, usually you can "forget" a particular device and then the phone won't auto-connect.

I know, but then anyone else can connect to it... I don’t like that... 

Made a prank the other day, connecting to one other guy ‘s Z and played a short engine explosion sound on his wheel... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Perhaps you’re right.  Plus with all the Trump-Putin controversy lately it might be better to stick with the basics.  We can do a whole separate Ninebot Backe Athletics wear line to avoid diluting the brands.  :w00t2:

When’s your wife releasing some more artwork into the wild?  I need more material to work with!

92_A3_ADC9-_A30_C-434_F-9166-770_E163518

:efefd0f676: ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

I know, but then anyone else can connect to it... I don’t like that... 

Made a prank the other day, connecting to one other guy ‘s Z and played a short engine explosion sound on his wheel... 

Ah, I see. Very funny. There aren't enough local riders around here to make that a worry for me :)

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Perhaps you’re right.  Plus with all the Trump-Putin controversy lately it might be better to stick with the basics.  We can do a whole separate Ninebot Backe Athletics wear line to avoid diluting the brands.  :w00t2:

When’s your wife releasing some more artwork into the wild?  I need more material to work with!

92_A3_ADC9-_A30_C-434_F-9166-770_E163518

You need to add ww1 fly goggles to the image and a leather pilot cap ?

• Like 3

I'm interested in knowing about ride stability when hitting rocks or other small obstacles off center with the tire. It is something I pondered when the wide tire was announced and I believe @Duf mentioned he felt the wheel would be tipped sideways if he indirectly struck a root in the swamp. All wheels would do this but I theorize that with the potential increased distance a stone may be off the wheel-centre any effect would be magnified by extra leverage offered. Have you noticed this on your rides so far, especially given the higher pressure you are running.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm interested in knowing about ride stability when hitting rocks or other small obstacles off center with the tire. It is something I pondered when the wide tire was announced and I believe @Duf mentioned he felt the wheel would be tipped sideways if he indirectly struck a root in the swamp. All wheels would do this but I theorize that with the potential increased distance a stone may be off the wheel-centre any effect would be magnified by extra leverage offered. Have you noticed this on your rides so far, especially given the higher pressure you are running.

I think this is why they kept pedels low compared to other new releases. It serves two purposes. One you instinctively avoid obstacles more. And two you get more balanced pedel control when you hit something if I think this out right in my head. Correct me if I am wrong ?

8 minutes ago, US69 said:

i really had to step back from my opinions i had About the Z10 before it came to the test round!

Ninebot seam to have done a great work!!!

When @Marty Backe is having such a fun with it ….it must be a great Wheel!

Respects again for your great Video work and what you have done for the community, Marty!

When i had a wish free i would ask you for carrying a 15kg backpack when doing further testings on the mountains….as i would be interested to know how it reacts to a bit heavier guy!!!

Unfortunatly i think Marty doesn't represent the Kind of "a bit more heavy american/european"....That would really interest me....how the Wheel works with a 85-90kg guy!

Especially as we have seen that this was or might be a prob with the v10f! Who knows...perhaps you have a more heavy Wheeler with you on your next test rounds and let him try?

Other than that….the only "bad" that is left on this 9b Reviews so far is that it is Pretty expensive......for that whathour battery!

If that Price would be a bit lower…….perhaps also my next Wheel ?

even with the final price increasing to $1800, my guess is this is gonna be the big guys mten3 and more. 

i think i’ll be able to control this wheel with the same, maybe a little more but less than the 1680wh 18s, subtle movement from me, as the V10F and 18L. 

i love my 18s and it might be the best wheel for teaching Bob how to run with it because i can grab that handle when he jerks me off and it’s the easiest to mount, but tight slow turns seem to require a lot of torso and in the pasture my legs sometimes can’t keep it up when it bounces sideways. with the compact size of the Z10, even though it is a heavy toad, i think my lower legs can handle it better. 

it would be interesting to see if the Z10 was the clear winner in a slow race.