My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

14 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yes, i was very impressed with the workmanship displayed in the teardown videos.

ur right about he headlight, it’s really a non issue for me. i’d never be riding n the ranch at night on a wheel. i’ve got the V10F for that if i need to dash down my road, it does that superbly. it was terrifying enough on my ktm 525exc and i had hid’s mounted on my helmet. hell i drove into mini sinkhole in my jeep at dusk the other night and Bob and i had to walk almost a mile back to the house. kinda funny seeing the right rear tire of the jeep up in the air.

did anybody weigh it without the mudflap and trolley handle?

I weighed it (see above somewhere). About 53-pounds. Considering that the trolley handle is made from 1-mil sheet metal and the mudguard (which is very nice) is plastic, they don't contribute much to the weight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turbocharged said:

I think V10F is a better wheel all around especially in a city, but Z is a lot more fun.

V10F with a good firmware (hopefully the 2.2.7 will do) should be able to make Z feel like a toy on a continuous incline. With current setup Z couldn’t keep up with Tesla/V10F/GT16, but these are 16 inches wheels which tend to have better torque/acceleration. That’s only my experience though.

I said the Z10 makes the V10F seem more like a toy. Certainly not implying that any of the current crop of wheels are toys. And what I'm really talking about is build quality and overall look and feel. I think the Z10 is more industrial strength in every way.

Yes, you can't beat the 16-inch form factor for more fun around town.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

at $1600, i was in whatever, i know it’s only $200 more, but that would make it my most expensive wheel to date.

For 200$ You can get very good light for your helmet (as in general lamp on the wheel is not really enough to ride during the night) and plenty of skateboard grip for the pedals.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

But, I have to say after a few days with the V10F, I realize that what I really wanted from InMotion wasn't a V10F, but a V8 Mark II. I hope my V8 has a smoother ride, more comfortable pedals, better headlamp, maybe a bit more speed and range, but more importantly, I wanted the agility, great accelerations, light weight and convenience of V8 to stay unchanged

Stay on the Z10 here. This is a much better conversation thread for the V10F V8 fast, and I would like to add to this, but not on the Z10 section.

The only real comparison is that both Segway and InMotion are competing for the safest EUC standard vehicle for riders. I forsee lots of reworking for both vehicles as they hone their new vehicles.

19 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

The fat tire gives it an optical illusion in size. I believe it is the same height as the V10 if not a touch shorter, so it has a nice feel underneath you.

It is very much "optical illusion"   -  I have tested V10F a week ago...  due to the very high center of gravity (due to the batteries being placed above the wheel) when turned of  it has the tendency to fall to front or back immediately.  Also it is much taller than Z10.   If Z10 measurements are given correctly - Z10 is almost exactly the size of Kingsong KS16S (16" wheel) in with and length, and is about half an inch higher which make it very compact wheel for 18" even with wide tire, due to the fact that batteries are inside the wheel.  Also in my personal opinion I do not like the shape/form of the V10F handle... 

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Esper said:

Can I suggest that the next time you title a post have it called. Triumphs, Tribulations, and Tragedies. The three T's just make it sound better in my head.

Totally agree, alliterations are awesome and absolutely amazing! Anyway... nice write-up, @Marty Backe, keep it coming!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

yes, that was another good video.

was that a cutoff u were able to run off at the end of the video? 

if it was, i’d rather see the wheel tilt me back and force me off before a cutoff.

some places on that trail, which i think i’d prefer smooth asphalt for falling on than that rocky trail, the shoulders of the trail, offraod or trail, look more like my pastures but fortunately no rocks. think u could ride that wheel in that stuff?

i’m concerned about the momentum factor. with enough momentum i could probably ride any wheel in my pastures, if u could hang on, or in reality, ur feet land back on the pedals, cause u will be flying. i could tell even the 18s was struggling in the pastures at slow speed without momentum. i’ve yet to try the V10F out there with it’s smaller diameter yet 2.5 “ width tire with supposedly more power.

i don’t want to be trying to grunt out of a hole and have it cut out on me.

Edited by novazeus

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yes, that was another good video.

was that a cutoff u were able to run off at the end of the video? 

if it was, i’d rather see the wheel tilt me back and force me off before a cutoff.

some places on that trail, which i think i’d prefer smooth asphalt for falling on than that rocky trail, the shoulders of the trail, offraod or trail, look more like my pastures but fortunately no rocks. think u could ride that wheel in that stuff?

i’m concerned about the momentum factor. with enough momentum i could probably ride any wheel in my pastures, if u could hang on, or in reality, ur feet land back on the pedals, cause u will be flying. i could tell even the 18s was struggling in the pastures at slow speed without momentum. i’ve yet to try the V10F out there with it’s smaller diameter yet 2.5 “ width tire with supposedly more power.

i don’t want to be trying to grunt out of a hole and have it cut out on me.

Maybe you missed the fact that this was an extremely steep hill? It's impossible for a wheel to tilt-back while moving at an extreme angle like this. I'm sure it tried, and then cutout. You saw that I didn't fall, because I was moving at a slow walking speed.

On the first overheat it did tilt-back, because the hill was much less steep.

You have such unique conditions I'm afraid you're never going to get satisfactory answers, at least from me. Sorry, I don't know of pastures near me and would have no idea whether 'my' pasture would be like yours. This is a pastime for me, yet you're asking more business type questions - these wheels aren't designed for industrial applications.

When you talk about grunting out of a hole, maybe you should pass on the Z10. For one thing the pedal height will be an issue for you. This is not an ideal wheel for single-track riding either. Frankly your V10F is best because of the super high pedals. And you won't like this either, but the MSuper X also has super high pedals and with a massive wheel. But I know that Gotway is a no-go zone for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe you missed the fact that this was an extremely steep hill? It's impossible for a wheel to tilt-back while moving at an extreme angle like this. I'm sure it tried, and then cutout. You saw that I didn't fall, because I was moving at a slow walking speed.

On the first overheat it did tilt-back, because the hill was much less steep.

You have such unique conditions I'm afraid you're never going to get satisfactory answers, at least from me. Sorry, I don't know of pastures near me and would have no idea whether 'my' pasture would be like yours. This is a pastime for me, yet you're asking more business type questions - these wheels aren't designed for industrial applications.

When you talk about grunting out of a hole, maybe you should pass on the Z10. For one thing the pedal height will be an issue for you. This is not an ideal wheel for single-track riding either. Frankly your V10F is best because of the super high pedals. And you won't like this either, but the MSuper X also has super high pedals and with a massive wheel. But I know that Gotway is a no-go zone for you.

pastures aren’t unique, maybe to u city boy.u could attempt to ride on the roads row. i’m sure that’s fairly bumpy.

i noticed the hill was steep. did the wheel warn u with a beep?

yeah, nobody really rides these things off road. off pavement on trails, yes. 

pastures are bumpy. not like a yard,soccer field, golf course. we’re talking dirt pot holes and cow turds with barky weeds sprinkled in. very technical riding at slow speed. i did that one video of me doing it on the 18s a long time ago and i was amazed i didn’t tumble. subsequent rides i did. still kinda nursing a sore thumb from it. 

if the slow speed torque is less than the V10F or 18s, i’m out. i love the looks, i love it has the first rated tire for rider’s weight and the build quality but i only have two surfaces to ride on. pavement and pasture. pasture being the objective.

hopefully the 18L will arrive in a couple of weeks and i’ll pad it up and take it up on the hill with my V10F and see who wins. 

too hot to ride for Bob now anyway.

please don’t take this as criticism because it’s not meant that way, i’m sure u made sure nobody was behind u when u attempted that hill and didn’t make it and the wheel tumbled down, but if somebody attempted that same feat with the same results and there was somebody behind them, i bet that Z10 would smart if it hit somebody’s leg.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

pastures aren’t unique, maybe to u city boy.u could attempt to ride on the roads row. i’m sure that’s fairly bumpy.

i noticed the hill was steep. did the wheel warn u with a beep?

yeah, nobody really rides these things off road. off pavement on trails, yes. 

pastures are bumpy. not like a yard,soccer field, golf course. we’re talking dirt pot holes and cow turds with barky weeds sprinkled in. very technical riding at slowspeed. i did that one video of me doing it on the 18s a long time ago and i was amazed i didn’t tumble. subsequent rides i did. still kinda nursing a sore thumb from it. 

if the slow speed torque is less than the V10F or 18s, i’m out. i love the looks, i love it has the first rated tire for rider’s weight and the build quality but i only have two surfaces to ride on. pavement and pasture. pasture being the objective.

hopefully the 18L will arrive in a couple of weeks and i’ll pad it up and take it up on the hill with my V10F and see who wins. 

too hot to ride for Bob now anyway.

please don’t take this as criticism because it’s not meant that way, i’m sure u made sure nobody was behind u when u attempted that hill and didn’t make it and the wheel tumbled down, but if somebody attempted that same feat with the same results and there was somebody behind them, i bet that Z10 would smart if it hit somebody’s leg.

Yes, I would not do this with anybody below me. Never have. I'm not totally reckless ;)

The wheel did not beep. There appears to be a problem with the speaker that occurred while @houseofjob had it.

Well, I'm certainly not here to convince you to buy the wheel. You are very particular. Probably should stick with what you have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

i  much prefer talking about how well these wheels are performing and tough buying decisions as opposed to cutoffs and accidents.

i’d much rather have a wheel make me stop by stepping off as opposed to a faceplant any day, even though i haven’t experienced that, hope i never do, but do have a full face helmet comng that might work in this heat.

Full face helmet as in motorcycle helmet? I would like to order one that I could also use it in winter to protect from cold Minnesota weather. 

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, I'm certainly not here to convince you to buy the wheel. You are very particular. Probably should stick with what you have.

one more question, again, please.

do u think u are capable of riding a wheel not on a road, not on a trail, but like the grass part of the highways right of way ? unless they’re manicured better than florida, that sb about as bumpy as my pastures, not quite.

which wheel if any u have ridden would be best at that? we don’t have mountains.

don’t hurt urself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ather said:

Full face helmet as in motorcycle helmet? I would like to order one that I could also use it in winter to protect from cold Minnesota weather. 

i’ve got a bunch of nice arai full face helmets for cold days, but i’d pass out in floridas heat going so slow on a wheel. 

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

one more question, again, please.

do u think u are capable of riding a wheel not on a road, not on a trail, but like the grass part of the highways right of way ? unless they’re manicured better than florida, that sb about as bumpy as my pastures, not quite.

which wheel if any u have ridden would be best at that? we don’t have mountains.

don’t hurt urself.

I still have a lot of riding to do. I do want to ride over bumpy grass fields, but I'm not going to ride where the pedals would be covered by the grass. That's why I said it's not the best single-track wheel. The pedals are too low. I'll continue to post what I do here.

• Like 2