My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

On 12/3/2018 at 1:15 AM, Steef Klonoa said:

@BaronvonHansi

I stripped one of the screws in the mudguard before I went out that day, I'm thinking that was it, I left the screw in because I was having trouble getting it out. It runs normal though. I had an issue with the pedals being creaky too but that went away. Maybe the hinges just need a little wd40.

Top Merci for the answer!

On 12/3/2018 at 1:15 AM, Steef Klonoa said:

@BaronvonHansi

I stripped one of the screws in the mudguard before I went out that day, I'm thinking that was it, I left the screw in because I was having trouble getting it out. It runs normal though. I had an issue with the pedals being creaky too but that went away. Maybe the hinges just need a little wd40.

Top Merci for the answer!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, Marty Backe said:

Back in September me and some fellow intrepid explorers (@csmyers, @Nick McCutcheon, @Klin, @Chairman S, and @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer") climbed 4600 feet to the top of Mount Wilson. This was my formal test to see how the Z10 performed during a long continuous climb. I made this trip a handful of times with different wheels. It's a great test for a wheel.

I finally got around to editing the footage from the ride. Hope you enjoy it.

Wow. Beautiful ride. I give you guys credit. I don't think I have the skills or courage to ride a hill knowing that 6 feet to the right of me would spell doom for me or my wheel. I just couldn't do it! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Jpd said:

I hope that ninebot will release a version with a bigger battery, at least 1300 would be nice. Although I do seem to get pretty good distance, better than my v10f at least. 

If ninebot release a version with bigger battery, i hope it will have at least 50% more (around 1500wh). In my opinion they could make a little bigger case, like the actual with bumpers, but in the updatet the bumpers are gone for some more space for batteries 😁😎. But its still ninebot and i dont think they bring something new in this short time... I believe the chance to get moded cases from third party is higher i the future 😓

50 minutes ago, Mmhmmm said:

Oops, you missed a couple of stop signs...

You should see the number of stop signs that I blow through on a daily basis :o  I ride like a bicyclist; ride through stop signs when traffic is clear but obey traffic lights.

Well sorry for a slight hijacking but then again it is kind of with in topic.

One of my work colleges got his Z10 on Friday. But since he had some too low battery charging issues and him trying to learn EUC riding first time too I didn't see it until today when he bought it to work. Also I was off sick with a cold on Monday and Tuesday, minor detail.

There are no two ways about this, it is one great looking wheel. Personally I like the way it looks with mudguard and trolley mounted. So I got to test it but I know how it is with the first scratch on a brand new wheel. I rather not be the one to do it but eventually ...my maybe a just a tiny short test .. got the upper hand on me and he was more than happy for me to test it to get an opinion of it. 

So first 10 meters, all fine beside pedals feels like sitting in a V-shape compared to my KS18L, that is more like Denmark, flat as a pancake.  And then at some point I had to turn.  nope didn't happen anything. Step down flip wheel around,  up doing the same in opposite direction.. nope nope that bloody thing just will not turn. <_< Well of course it is the wheel not the rider....or.. 

Lets try that 5-10 meters back and forth again.. Not this time I am all over the place turning let and right, but not controlled or in command. So I go from <_< like :o to :wacko:

Well at lunch my college pushes for me to test it a bit more. So we have this stone floor hall way that I tried to ride in for like 15min. After like 5min I don't know what happened. but all of a sudden I can turn, even VERY controlled turn almost on the spot too. The turns can be do so slow and so tight that I am all #¤%#%.. ok so now after the aha moment venture into so what can you do with this....so much fun and things I had never been able to do on my V8 or KS18L. Keep in mind I am  playing with the wheel at speed so close to standstill as possible  and I am doing circles on tiles on the floor at 1'x1'...hmm While trying to push this even further I get my first ..ok this is VERY different. Playing with partly leaning part foot forces on toe pushing the other heel leaning and then starting to lean forward the body to pick up speed. (this is the best I can explain what happened) and out of nowhere I am almost catapulted of the wheel the turn be so fast and so tight I basically slide sideways of the pedals. :unsure:ups lets not do that again. 

So I start playing of slalom back and forth with how little effort do I need to use to turn the wheel. it seem to be VERY VERY little. if you do it the right way.So I am back at the :blink1:Why could I turn the bloody thing in the beginning... I have no clue.   

So I have not played with Z10 yet, at speed faster than slow running most at walking speed. But is it fun to do ...HE?? yes...so this is where my days in sales kicks back in...

Does this hold any potential... Yep I think so. Will this work for all.. nope it surly will not. ...Would I but one...hmm maybe. It do tick one major Very important box. IT is surly not similar to any wheel I had or tried before. As if what is the point in buying one wheel that is just like another you own. 

So the reason why I post it here is @Marty Backe has the most discussions going on about this wheel as I see it. He is one of the best to say if I am wrong or right on the above points. Yet I only played with it for a total of maybe 20 min. Right now I am  waiting to see Ninebot to release an EU version as it is not legal to sell yet here in EU. I can't help wondering if that is why @Jason McNeil is not listing Z10 any more. 

Fact is I am still looking at a second wheel, and after today I am not really closer to what to choose. Thanks for the space, Marty. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well sorry for a slight hijacking but then again it is kind of with in topic.

One of my work colleges got his Z10 on Friday. But since he had some too low battery charging issues and him trying to learn EUC riding first time too I didn't see it until today when he bought it to work. Also I was off sick with a cold on Monday and Tuesday, minor detail.

There are no two ways about this, it is one great looking wheel. Personally I like the way it looks with mudguard and trolley mounted. So I got to test it but I know how it is with the first scratch on a brand new wheel. I rather not be the one to do it but eventually ...my maybe a just a tiny short test .. got the upper hand on me and he was more than happy for me to test it to get an opinion of it. 

So first 10 meters, all fine beside pedals feels like sitting in a V-shape compared to my KS18L, that is more like Denmark, flat as a pancake.  And then at some point I had to turn.  nope didn't happen anything. Step down flip wheel around,  up doing the same in opposite direction.. nope nope that bloody thing just will not turn. <_< Well of course it is the wheel not the rider....or.. 

Lets try that 5-0 meters back and forth again.. Not this time I am all over the place turning let and right, but not controlled or in command. So I go from <_< like :o to :wacko:

Well at lunch my college pushes for me to test it a bit more. So we have this stone floor hall way that I tried to ride in for like 15min. After like 5min I don't know what happened. but all of a sudden I can turn, even VERY controlled turn almost on the spot too. The turns can be do so slow and so tight that I am all #¤%#%.. ok so now after the aha moment venture into so what can you do with this....so much fun and things I had never been able to do on my V8 or KS18L. Keep in mind I am  playing with the wheel at speed so close to standstill as possible  and I am doing circles on tiles on the floor at 1'x1'...hmm While trying to push this even further I get my first ..ok this is VERY different. Playing with partly leaning part foot forces on toe pushing the other heel leaning and then starting to lean forward the body to pick up speed. (this is the best I can explain what happened) and out of nowhere I am almost catapulted of the wheel the turn be so fast and so tight I basically slide sideways of the pedals. :unsure:ups lets not do that again. 

So I start playing of slalom back and forth with how little effort do I need to use to turn the wheel. it seem to be VERY VERY little. if you do it the right way.So I am back at the :blink1:Why could I turn the bloody thing in the beginning... I have no clue.   

So I have not played with Z10 yet, at speed faster than slow running most at walking speed. But is it fun to do ...HE?? yes...so this is where my days in sales kicks back in...

Does this hold any potential... Yep I think so. Will this work for all.. nope it surly will not. ...Would I but one...hmm maybe. It do tick one major Very important box. IT is surly not similar to any wheel I had or tried before. As if what is the point in buying one wheel that is just like another you own. 

So the reason why I post it here is @Marty Backe has the most discussions going on about this wheel as I see it. He is one of the best to say if I am wrong or right on the above points. Yet I only played with it for a total of maybe 20 min. Right now I am  waiting to see Ninebot to release an EU version as it is not legal to sell yet here in EU. I can't help wondering if that is why @Jason McNeil is not listing Z10 any more. 

Fact is I am still looking at a second wheel, and after today I am not really closer to what to choose. Thanks for the space, Marty. 

I'm glad you were able to experience the joys of low-speed fun with the Z10. Isn't it a joy to turn and fiddle around in tight spaces? This is why, after my Mten3, it's the funnest wheel to go about town with. I can have so much fun on the street corner while waiting for the light to turn.

Hi speed turning is also fun, but in a totally different way.

Once you get tuned into handling the Z10 correctly, it's a great wheel.

If you can deal with the uncertainties of getting a working Z10, buying one is highly recommended.

The Mten3 is like the Z10 in slow-speed handling, but on steroids. It's much cheaper too. Get yourself one of those too :D

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm glad you were able to experience the joys of low-speed fun with the Z10. Isn't it a joy to turn and fiddle around in tight spaces? This is why, after my Mten3, it's the funnest wheel to go about town with. I can have so much fun on the street corner while waiting for the light to turn.

Hi speed turning is also fun, but in a totally different way.

Once you get tuned into handling the Z10 correctly, it's a great wheel.

If you can deal with the uncertainties of getting a working Z10, buying one is highly recommended.

The Mten3 is like the Z10 in slow-speed handling, but on steroids. It's much cheaper too. Get yourself one of those too :D

I hear you...but but it is a GW :whistling: You know I always have to tease you about that GW. 

I can say without joking though. the Mten3 is a no options as I will need a trolley handle and the DYI solutions is not really my game. 

So right now my picks are like the top secret KS16X, (hold on to your hat) GW Nikola, Z10 (or what the EU version might be called) KS16S (if price drops due to KS16X)

If I get luckey I might get to test @Scatcat MSX we will see....future really hard to predict outcome.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

Ninebot have just released a new firmware relating to the BMS.  Not sure exactly what changes it will provide, as the release notes only states: Fixed some bugs.  Will be applying this firmware in the hope that the battery charge loss & deep sleep issues may have been addressed.

BMS firmware V1.1.6.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

I did that when i first jumped on my z10 lol 😀i couldn't turn it at first😀 i love the turning in tight spaces it's got a ball on ball gyroscope feeling just make me smile 😊 i was on a track second day flying around hitting the beeps , i transitioned to the z10 better than transitioning back to the msx 3 days later lol,, i did do 40 miles on the msx after though i do love the power of that thing,,, but for now the z10 is waiting for a charger i can't wait to go back on it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have just done the latest Z10 BMS firmware update, which actually states that it addresses the battery drain issue:

Screenshot-20190301-154639-cn-ninebot-ninebot.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

Have just done the latest Z10 BMS firmware update, which actually states that it addresses the battery drain issue:

Yeah, I updated mine a couple of days ago. I'm letting it sit for a week to see how much they fixed it. Good that they are still improving the Z10.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1