My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

My brother has a tendency to get tiny twigs and dried leaves inside the 16S tire cavity. The noise they make is surprisingly loud, and he gets so annoyed that everything else stops until the culprit is removed. My guess is there is nothing (else) wrong with your wheel.

One method of removal is to wrap a disposable scarf or a long rag around the tire from axle to axle, keep it slightly tensioned against the tire, and start rolling the tire until it brings the rag through the cavity to the other side. Hopefully the debris will follow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 12:41 AM, Steef Klonoa said:

Got something stuck in the z10 today, i think. I did a lot of offroading in the woods and my guess is theres just a twig stuck in there, but ive noticed there is a different noise upon acceleration and braking. Sounds like something is rubbing up against the tire. It performs same as usual. I think i'll probably wait a week and then take it apart if it still makes the noise. 

I think I got the same Problem. We think it is a little bit like Gotway. Wheel is no perfektly fixed, it shakes a little bit left and right at two 180° positions. Not forward backward like Gotway. I can hear wenn driving slow. Now I will open it and fix the wheel, tube. Hope it will function.

On 11/4/2018 at 3:52 AM, Marty Backe said:

Enjoying a beautiful sunset ride on my Z10. A t-shirt, evening, and November 3rd is one reason I love living in Southern California

IMG_20181103_181352738_HDR

Pfff ...

I can do the same in Belgium 

and pass 2 weeks in my bed with pneumonia :whistling:

• Like 1

@BaronvonHansi

I stripped one of the screws in the mudguard before I went out that day, I'm thinking that was it, I left the screw in because I was having trouble getting it out. It runs normal though. I had an issue with the pedals being creaky too but that went away. Maybe the hinges just need a little wd40.

Edited by Steef Klonoa

• 4 weeks later...

Z10 Wouldn't Turn On

I rode the Z10 to a relatives house for a holiday dinner. About 30-miles, with maybe 20-percent battery remaining. I left the wheel outside and when I went to turn it on a few hours later, it played dead. I'm assuming it's temperature related since it was COLD (~60-degrees) outside. Fortunately this morning when I unplugged it from the charger, the wheel turned on.

So @houseofjob, have you had any issues turning on the wheel with relatively low battery and cool temperatures?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I rode the Z10 to a relatives house for a holiday dinner. About 30-miles, with maybe 20-percent battery remaining. I left the wheel outside and when I went to turn it on a few hours later, it played dead. I'm assuming it's temperature related since it was COLD (~60-degrees) outside. Fortunately this morning when I unplugged it from the charger, the wheel turned on.

So @houseofjob, have you had any issues turning on the wheel with relatively low battery and cool temperatures?

Sorry, haven't experienced this myself on my Z10, but I'm an obsessive full/semi-full charger, especially during East Coast winters, also limiting my trip durations to maximize indoor warmup time.

From my previous experience on other wheels, cell phones, etc., any lithium battery tech that dips below 40% in 40-or-below temps, can be liable to completely shut off / not-power-back-on at any time, especially with prolonged exposure to the cold (although 60ºF sounds a bit high(?))

What you experienced actually recently happened to @Hsiang, who rode with the NYC eBoarding crew for hours-on-end. According to him, after some many hours of riding & brief re-charge, he momentarily powered off his 40% Z10 when stopping to help a fallen eBoarder, but the wheel would not power back on minutes(?) after. (I'll let him chime in though to correct me)

Learning from our Russian counterparts who have it the worst for cold-weather-riding, apparently they will commonly wrap their batteries in heat-capturing material, to ward off cold exposure. (though, for the Z10, there is no space to do so, I believe)

Also, I feel like the uneven dual battery Z10 regen re-charging thing you've brought up before might be negatively affecting cold temp artificially-reduced battery capacity here, but might be wrong about this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Sorry, haven't experienced this myself on my Z10, but I'm an obsessive full/semi-full charger, especially during East Coast winters, also limiting my trip durations to maximize indoor warmup time.

From my previous experience on other wheels, cell phones, etc., any lithium battery tech that dips below 40% in 40-or-below temps, can be liable to completely shut off / not-power-back-on at any time, especially with prolonged exposure to the cold (although 60ºF sounds a bit high(?))

What you experienced actually recently happened to @Hsiang, who rode with the NYC eBoarding crew for hours-on-end. According to him, after some many hours of riding & brief re-charge, he momentarily powered off his 40% Z10 when stopping to help a fallen eBoarder, but the wheel would not power back on minutes(?) after. (I'll let him chime in though to correct me)

Learning from our Russian counterparts who have it the worst for cold-weather-riding, apparently they will commonly wrap their batteries in heat-capturing material, to ward off cold exposure. (though, for the Z10, there is no space to do so, I believe)

Also, I feel like the uneven dual battery Z10 regen re-charging thing you've brought up before might be negatively affecting cold temp artificially-reduced battery capacity here, but might be wrong about this.

Thanks for the input. As you say, what gets me is the temperature was only 60-degrees. Fortunately I never ride when it gets that frigid, but it was bothersome that the wheel wouldn't turn on (I just wanted to turn it on so I could walk the wheel to my wife's car). Instead I had to carry the heaviest-wheel-made to the car :furious:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, however this was after about 7 hours out in sub 30 degree temperture so I am not quite sure how accurate was the 40% battery shown. I left it off for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't power back on. The next charge spot we went to was also outside, and it wouldn't come back on until after about an hour of charging. Guess the Z10 didn't like the cold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Z10 Wouldn't Turn On

Heard that now a lot about the Z10...

Not only in the cold, but also after just using it for quite some time and the battery probably a bit warmed up because usage,

So the Board/BMS seams to be very sensible to the battery temperature.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Didn't Ian at speedyfeet mention you can't charge the wheel straight after riding until it cools down as part of a safety feature until the batteries cool maybe it's the sensor what's confusing matters ,, anyway so this is putting me off now i just ordered a Z10 and I'm over 90kg🙄 and it's cold in the UK maybe i should cancel for now

10 minutes ago, stephen said:

Didn't Ian at speedyfeet mention you can't charge the wheel straight after riding until it cools down as part of a safety feature until the batteries cool maybe it's the sensor what's confusing matters ,, anyway so this is putting me off now i just ordered a Z10 and I'm over 90kg🙄 and it's cold in the UK maybe i should cancel for now

It would already bother me that the z10 batterys are getting warm/hot at all after a normal riding.

Not necessarily “normal” ...and perhaps depends on the low voltage...which needs the battery to drive higher amperage.

Just a guess....

9 minutes ago, stephen said:

This is the first time that it's happened to me. Apparently it's not super common, but it can happen. On a hot day, when I had to turn off my ACM to lift it over a fence, it wouldn't turn on. I had to wait 10-15 minutes before I could turn it on. So it's not just a Z10 issue.

I think the important point to take away is never turn off the wheel if you're going to be stranded if it won't immediately turn back on.

All wheels have their quirks. I wouldn't cancel your order :efeff54d4a:

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

All wheels have their quirks. I wouldn't cancel your order :efeff54d4a:

I don't want to I've held off long enough debating which other wheel to get ,i suppose there's alot of support around 😊.. i don't usually turn off until i get back home anyway😊

Edited by stephen
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Z10 Wouldn't Turn On

Z10 don't turn on at very low battery (threshold is about 10-20%), it doesn't depends on temperature (it is another "feature"). 60 F - it is ok for Z10 to turn on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, palachzzz said:

Z10 don't turn on at very low battery (threshold is about 10-20%), it doesn't depends on temperature (it is another "feature"). 60 F - it is ok for Z10 to turn on.

I didn't think ~20-percent was too low, but I think you're right that it was the battery level not the temperature that was keeping the unit off.

Well now I know never to turn off the Z10 while I'm headed home on low battery. Not a very good design decision IMO.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't think ~20-percent was too low, but I think you're right that it was the battery level not the temperature that was keeping the unit off.

Well now I know never to turn off the Z10 while I'm headed home on low battery. Not a very good design decision IMO.

Except the wheel will turn itself off after a couple of minutes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

True. Leave it alone for a few minutes and it'll turn itself off.

The Z10 is a very attention demanding wheel :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ziiten said:

Or.. rotation cut-off after fall down)

Btw, you can lock it via Ninebot App, then it won't turn off after a couple of minutes)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1