My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

2 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

DarknessBot is not compatible with Z for now. The apps sees Z10, but fail to connect.

Thank You! This "solves" the issue for now... I do not have to look for cheap Iphone.. at least not until Ilya modify the DarknessBot. 

I still hope that some clever programmer will be able to modify WheelLog  as the source code is on Github to add communication with Z10 ...

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well that woke me up. Great test! Your quads must be burning.

It appears by the photo that I enhanced from your video that you are using a 4” wide piece of grip tape on the pedals. If so would you like to try some industrial grip tape that is wide enough to completely cover the pedal’s surface? It is the same tape I used on my V10F pedals. Let me know. I could have it to you by Wednesday. 

42727817744_97b4283222_b.jpg

41259149784_f1eec04c08_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

grip tape that is wide enough to completely cover the pedal’s surface

Just get the skateboard grip - from one sheet I have made 3 sets of Ninebot pedals... 

According to Turbocharged - grip is now added to the Z10 box..  Original ONE E+ pedals are dangerously slippery especially when wet. It was one of my first mods to cover them with GRIP. It shall be obligatory to use grip on pedals. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

How do you feel? Looks kinda uncomfortable 

That was a very tiring ride. In general the wheel was comfortable enough. For this ride the tire pressure was much higher (~35-psi) so it was a more bouncy ride but the tire tracked much better than my earlier ride.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, that killed my legs. I laugh when people say wheeling isn't a workout. At least when I go on many of my rides I'm beat by the end.

You have amazing eyes. @houseofjob added strips of grip tape to the front and rear of the pedals and I find it to be working fine. So far no sense of slipperiness like I experienced on the V10F. The fact that I wasn't thinking about my feet is a good sign. So thanks for the offer, but I'm good :D

Your ride was definitely a workout. Glad @houseofjob‘s modification works and that cooch left that attribute intact.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 8:42 PM, FreeRide said:
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

That was a very tiring ride. In general the wheel was comfortable enough. For this ride the tire pressure was much higher (~35-psi) so it was a more bouncy ride but the tire tracked much better than my earlier ride.

Marty thanks for your review. I am little torn if I should pay the premium and get this wheel by mid Aug or wait till next year. I live in MN and was hoping that I will be able to ride in some snowy conditions too. 

I currently have KS14D love it, but it want to do longer commute up to 25 miles. Should I wait for the version with better paddles and handle or should I go ahead and make the move. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Rehab1 @Marty Backe 

FYI, it was just a quick unobtrusive fix to the front & back of the pedals with some Jessup skateboard griptape (available at local skate shops here in NYC and regarded pretty highly amongst that community).

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised somebody along the Z10 US tour didn't tear them off for their own preferred solution. ?

Hey, sometimes the simple solution 'just works'. Why mess with success ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised somebody along the Z10 US tour didn't tear them off for their own preferred solution. ?

I have never had any foot problems with the slipping on the V10 any more than I had with the V8 and the jessup skate grip. The problem I have is repositioning with the jessup tape is so difficult to raise and reposition your footing. When the V10 gets a little dusty on the pedals they do get a little slippery, but the slippage is toward the outer edge, not the front or rear, and it is amazingly easy to reposition your feet for all sorts of terrain.

I dig the shock absorbing quality of the rubber footing and find it helps keep the feet in place. I am not comforted by the strapped in feeling of the jessup tape especially when my foot is barely hanging on after a bump in the road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I have never had any foot problems with the slipping on the V10 any more than I had with the V8 and the jessup skate grip. The problem I have is repositioning with the jessup tape is so difficult to raise and reposition your footing. When the V10 gets a little dusty on the pedals they do get a little slippery, but the slippage is toward the outer edge, not the front or rear, and it is amazingly easy to reposition your feet for all sorts of terrain.

I dig the shock absorbing quality of the rubber footing and find it helps keep the feet in place. I am not comforted by the strapped in feeling of the jessup tape especially when my foot is barely hanging on after a bump in the road.

???

I said nothing about the V10 pedals, and this is the Z thread, no?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

???

I said nothing about the V10 pedals, and this is the Z thread, no?

Sorry, I mustve fallen into a competitive marketing wormhole. My bad, I totally read that wrong a bunch of times. Lol

They even rhyme! I think we can see why the V was rushed to market after seeing the Z10 in action last weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

not be ideal for light guys 

damn u marty backe. 

u say the headlight sucks and i think that’s it, i’ll wait for gen 2 of the Z10 and then u figure out what i guessed, that for heavier, big guys, like me, they would ride it different from the way chooch or even tishawn rides. 

back on the fence again. i’d definitely wait if ninebot was gonna make improvements but i do think with my body type and being able to tuned the tire pressure, it might  be the best wheel to get around the ranch.

i’m just gonna have to shelved this decision until jason asks for money and then do a ben franklin close or not on myself. at $1600, i was in whatever, i know it’s only $200 more, but that would make it my most expensive wheel to date.

i’d rather pay $2000 for a Z10 with higher , bigger pedals and a working headlight. 

how is ur wheel retention or control when u have to dismount?

i’m guessing it cuts off nicely when it falls over? 

does it have the low end grunt for slow technical riding?

could u please find a pasture with cows and get permission to ride thru it?

Bob’s gonna be with me so weight and such for his safety is a factor.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

damn u marty backe. 

u say the headlight sucks and i think that’s it, i’ll wait for gen 2 of the Z10 and then u figure out what i guessed, that for heavier, big guys, like me, they would ride it different from the way chooch or even tishawn rides. 

back on the fence again. i’d definitely wait if ninebot was gonna make improvements but i do think with my body type and being able to tuned the tire pressure, it might  be the best wheel to get around the ranch.

i’m just gonna have to shelved this decision until jason asks for money and then do a ben franklin close or not on myself. at $1600, i was in whatever, i know it’s only $200 more, but that would make it my most expensive wheel to date.

i’d rather pay $2000 for a Z10 with higher , bigger pedals and a working headlight. 

how is ur wheel retention or control when u have to dismount?

i’m guessing it cuts off nicely when it falls over? 

does it have the low end grunt for slow technical riding?

could u please find a pasture with cows and get permission to ride thru it?

Bob’s gonna be with me so weight and such for his safety is a factor.

Due to the size of Ninebot; I would be surprised if any changes to the wheel will happen any time soon.

Edited by fryman
english
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

that’s a great video. i like hearing the terrain and the motor. 

it’s still hard to sense how good the low end torque is to keep u balanced on slow, technical, riding. 

i like to see what a bigger guy thought. not naming names but u got at least one in ur group.

i know i’m demanding bt it’s a helluva way to shop. sorry.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2:

Frankly, I would never make a buy decision based on the quality of the headlight. It's always remedied by strapping a light on the handle. Don't let the light affect your decision.

I'm really stoked about this wheel. It's heavy as hell, and when you see it tumble down a hill with no ill effects, you'll be impressed with it's robustness. After I rolled it down the hill I took it on that Vibration Stress Test that you may have seen. This wheel is a tank.

Of course I only weigh 175-pounds, but it feels like it should handle heavy riders better than lighter riders. It's so heavy I think the lighter guys light Chooch will be thrown around more. Kind of a theory that I wouldn't yet place money on.

Yes, the wheel turns off in a very controlled fashion when leaning it over. May be one of the better wheel in this regards.

This wheel feels like the best engineered wheel that I've ever seen or ridden. Including the app too.

Look for the upcoming Mountain Stress test - shortly.

?

oh well, it’s only money.

i could sell some of my other wheels but i’m kinda like gollum with them, i navigated my limb littered road with one of my little s1’s last night, they all are my precious and i can find a reason for keeping them. 

my ultimate goal is to be able to use them with Bob when the weather permits, so he can get a good workout and i can survey the ranch(hopefully run off coyotes) without burning gas. it’s too hot in florida for Bob now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The only place this wheel is lacking so far is low-speed torque. But I'm only seeing this weakness on steep inclines. Otherwise the low-speed torque is fine. With the higher tire pressure this wheel is very maneuverable. I find it extremely easy to twist and turn for technical slow speed riding.

I know, it's tough to shop via posts and/or YouTube videos. I guess it's better than nothing. You should have seen things two years ago, let alone 4-years ago.

This wheel makes your V10F feel more like a toy. It's that well engineered. Except for the crappiest trolley handle on the planet, it looks and feels amazing.

yes, i was very impressed with the workmanship displayed in the teardown videos.

ur right about he headlight, it’s really a non issue for me. i’d never be riding n the ranch at night on a wheel. i’ve got the V10F for that if i need to dash down my road, it does that superbly. it was terrifying enough on my ktm 525exc and i had hid’s mounted on my helmet. hell i drove into mini sinkhole in my jeep at dusk the other night and Bob and i had to walk almost a mile back to the house. kinda funny seeing the right rear tire of the jeep up in the air.

did anybody weigh it without the mudflap and trolley handle?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Hey @marcglider, Marty is at it again. :crying:  V10F a toy? :blink1:  V10F is the most solid feeling wheel I've ridden so far, that's a quite a statement. :w00t2:

Not only that, but the headlight is actually safe enough to go riding at night and have oncoming cars flash their lights at you to turn them down a bit.

The V10 has a properly stiff member/handle instead of the ED Segway trolley handle. If the V10 can be called a Toy, then I am pretty confident in the Z10 being like riding a Mule. It can handle any terrain, but on its terms more than yours.

• Like 3

i  much prefer talking about how well these wheels are performing and tough buying decisions as opposed to cutoffs and accidents.

i’d much rather have a wheel make me stop by stepping off as opposed to a faceplant any day, even though i haven’t experienced that, hope i never do, but do have a full face helmet comng that might work in this heat.

• Like 1