My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Lukasz said:

It is slightly theoretical discussion ;-)   but please have a closer look on the pictures I have published in the lamp mod thread - there is also the need and space to "add" material (to adjust the angle) but first You have to remove some material from the lamp body in order to be able to change the angle, as now it fits very tight in the chassis opening and it is not possible to change the angle without creating some room first... 

Opening of the side panels does not void warranty (stickers are on the battery and on the electronics compartment stay unopened in this mod)

I realise now that I would have to peel off the upper padding (and not be able to make stick back again) to get to the upper screws. Oh well, the padding is coming off already anyway from above the front light.

My screws debacle was an operator error - I put the long bolts there, so it pulled the inserts. Anyway, this thing is not super durable. My guess, plastic was too cold, when they pushed it in. There was almost no plastic particles on the grooves of the insert, when it was pulled. 

Not a big deal. As far as I can see, this particular place doesn't carry too much tension, so some superglue on the outside, seems to fix it.

Thank you.

22 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

? In any case, I wonder if removing the lens and blocking the top half of the holes will achieve a good result.. In your post about the mod I see the other poster removing the lens giving good ground coverage but also too high as well. Maybe some light "eyelids" would rectify with the lens themselves removed?

Just one note - be careful when opening the lamp and putting it back together - lamp must be water tight - when You ride in the rain this area is quite wet as it is just above the tire which blows a lot of water into the air. So I strongly advise NOT to take it apart.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:09 PM, iivejo said:

Got my z10 about two weeks ago and rode it about 300km. Permanent alert happened now when I charged it in a train with lock on and it tilted about 15° due to movement of train. I'm not able to unlock no matter what. App connects ok and I can modify every function exept unlock it. Posture calibration goes thru despite the wheel is in alert mode but it too is not able to unlock the wheel. Now I'm stuck with flashing wheel at my business trip. My firmware is 1.0.2

Stubborn alert mode

There was no way around this exept to unscrew the cover and disconnect the battery. 

Btw I had the first experience with snow & ice with z10. My first imperssions are it feels very slippery compared to thinner tyre euc's.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, iivejo said:

There was no way around this exept to unscrew the cover and disconnect the battery. 

Btw I had the first experience with snow & ice with z10. My first imperssions are it feels very slippery compared to thinner tyre euc's.

You disconnected one battery of the two? Or is there the same connection for both

Thanks to the bad weather i had time to mod my stand a bit to make it more stable. The default stand is so bad, mosty my wheel tilts to one side if i use the stand.

So i added some material to make the stand more stable.

Sorry for the mud from my testride.

The mod is not finished yet, i have to adjust the look more to the wheel, but it works! 

1540815514858446.thumb.jpg.07abea44a1f35558dc2cf82d19e83f28.jpg154081551523589.thumb.jpg.5b77b1c9369135ee4efa4b08cf49ca9c.jpg

5 minutes ago, cloudy_jai said:

Thank you! They are expensive for sure.

Anyone tried fooling around with the colors of the lights on the Z10? I tried to do orange and purple for halloween. Having a hard time getting the colors orange and red. Most of the other colors are fine. Red usually shows up purple. Orange usually just looks yellow. Anyone else experience the same issue?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Anyone tried fooling around with the colors of the lights on the Z10? I tried to do orange and purple for halloween. Having a hard time getting the colors orange and red. Most of the other colors are fine. Red usually shows up purple. Orange usually just looks yellow. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Yes, red is extremely hard to get. Yet there is one particular light mode where the red is very easy to access.

So although the color wheel implies an almost infinite selection of colors, the reality is quite different.

If you want red, try it in all 6+ modes and you'll find the one that works.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Enjoying a beautiful sunset ride on my Z10. A t-shirt, evening, and November 3rd is one reason I love living in Southern California

IMG_20181103_181352738_HDR

Beautiful color combination! :thumbup:

13 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

How often do you guys notice the z10 pedals repositioning? Are they supposed to do it on their own at random on a flat surface? 

Do you mean 'calibrating', where they will tilt forward or backward a little? If that's your question, some people have it happen and some don't. My Z10 does. Seems to be getting worse.

I think Ninebox used either a low-quality component or the circuitry that drives it.

3 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Marty Backe yes that's the kind of calibration I was talking about. Hasn't happened while i'm out on the street with it yet. Hope its a non issue.

It's been happening more and more. I had a few episodes today. It's frustrating for sure. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse. Time will tell I guess.

Got something stuck in the z10 today, i think. I did a lot of offroading in the woods and my guess is theres just a twig stuck in there, but ive noticed there is a different noise upon acceleration and braking. Sounds like something is rubbing up against the tire. It performs same as usual. I think i'll probably wait a week and then take it apart if it still makes the noise. 

2 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Got something stuck in the z10 today, i think. I did a lot of offroading in the woods and my guess is theres just a twig stuck in there, but ive noticed there is a different noise upon acceleration and braking. Sounds like something is rubbing up against the tire. It performs same as usual. I think i'll probably wait a week and then take it apart if it still makes the noise. 

Get out the flashlight and slowly turn the wheel backward. Might help dislodge it. It sounds like it is stuck good though. 

6 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@FreeRide I tried looking all through it with a flashlight, didn't see anything. Ran fine this morning on my usual commute but I still think something might be lodged in there. My commute is almost 12 miles and takes me about 50 mins.

Wow, that's a good commute for an EUC, how is the Z10 working out for you with that?  This morning was quite nippy, you did pretty good commuting on the EUC.

@FreeRide It's been working out great so far. I have some cold weather gear and it's pretty easy to navigate the suburbs. Most of the way I go on main street through a couple towns and no one bugs me. I have plenty of time to charge it at work too. Haven't had any bad falls yet (knock on wood) so this new sound from the z10 is making me paranoid, I don't want it to cut out on me. It sounds like the tire is rubbing up against something upon acceleration and braking, and the brakes sound kind of grating like theres a bunch of little metal wires in there being tightened as the wheel comes to a stop, or if its going back and forth. The grating sound was always there, especially when doing a little back and forth in the kitchen but now its a bit more pronounced.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@FreeRide It's been working out great so far. I have some cold weather gear and it's pretty easy to navigate the suburbs. Most of the way I go on main street through a couple towns and no one bugs me. I have plenty of time to charge it at work too. Haven't had any bad falls yet (knock on wood) so this new sound from the z10 is making me paranoid, I don't want it to cut out on me. It sounds like the tire is rubbing up against something upon acceleration and braking, and the brakes sound kind of grating like theres a bunch of little metal wires in there being tightened as the wheel comes to a stop, or if its going back and forth. The grating sound was always there, especially when doing a little back and forth in the kitchen but now its a bit more pronounced.

Wheels like the Z10 (closed shell with little gap between the tire and the shell) will have a tendency to get twigs and stuff stuck up in the wheel. They will eventually work themselves out. Sometimes you can help it along by riding backwards - stand facing the rear and ride as you normally do.

The grating sound is normal and varies with the wheel. The Z10 is a particularly noisy wheel when it's under stress.