My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

45 minutes ago, stephen said:

that's what i like about the msx it's so quiet very very quiet.. @Marty Backe surprised you not done a msx review ? have you not been riding it ?

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Have you seen his videos? Z10 here, Z10 there. He even did a long range ride with his OLD msuper instead of the X. Maybe the two (Marty and the X) don't like each other. Maybe he's waiting for the wider side pads. Who knows... (Marty does:efee8319ab:)

5 minutes ago, stephen said:

maybe saving best till last ? it's the nicest ride is the msx it doesn't wobble what ever speed you go ?? and goes over anything ?

I took the MSX for a 40+ mile ride last Sunday. I don't film most of my rides.

I feel that so much has already been said about the MSX that I don't have much to add. Plus the MSX is an incremental improvement over the MSuper V3, which I've discussed a lot in the past

There is still some mountain stress testing that I need to get around to, so I will be focusing on the MSX a bit more. Clearly the MSX is a fantastic wheel :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel that so much has already been said about the MSX that I don't have much to add. Plus the MSX is an incremental improvement over the MSuper V3, which I've discussed a lot in the past

There is still some mountain stress testing that I need to get around to, so I will be focusing on the MSX a bit more. Clearly the MSX is a fantastic wheel :D

we still like watching YOUR reveiws though you do it so well ? ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice video, Marty. I'm surprised to hear the Z10 has the usual whine, you can hear it in a lot of videos. Is it as loud as the former Gotway or current KingSong whine? Sometimes it seems to depend on the direction whether one can hear it.

The Z10 doesn’t whine ... it sings! Maria Callas doesn’t whine ... she sings! It’s not comparable, I know ... but it’s true! ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Part of a problem with @Marty Backe and MSX is Slime factor...  Not being able to add Slime keeps Marty from riding as much... I've recently spoken to a bicyclist and he fixes his tire with fix a flat can.  He said he just shoot couple of bursts with it and it does the job.  Since the can is pressurized may be worth a try.

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

ya, i pointed out the calibration or “posture sensor” whatever thing they call it to u when i got mine. course typical marty thinks i’m stubborn. glad u finally figured it out. 

u can muscle hold it and using a spirits level get it close but it’s a waste of time because it doesn’t hold that position when u power it off and on again. very frustrating. i’m thinking about building a special stand for calibrating it. if i can do that, it wouldn’t be too bad to just pop it on the stand and calibrate before each ride. i just spent all day yesterday unraveling the mystery of why my v10f was all fucked up. i’ll get back to u on my calibration efforts. the v10f software is the best for leveling the pedals.

this is what u said when i was explaining the calibration problem, didn’t u try the on screen instructions?

“You're stubborn, I give you that.

Sounds like maybe your wheel has a defect. Both pedals should be parallel with each other, and Posture Sensor Calibration calibrates my pedals, and apparently others. But if it doesn't bother you, leave it be.

BTW, I don't feel like calibrating mine right now, but if I recall the app provides on-screen instructions which tell you what it's doing. Didn't yours provide you with instructions?”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

as far as the drl blinking, it is against the law to have a blinking light at night. during the daytime, the safest for the rider is to have both headlight and drl modulating.

since i’m not riding around cars, i don’t care but i’ll play with it some more because iwas trying to figure out how u changed the modes.

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

Any feedback on the APP update for the Z??? I will download it later if no one has had any issue's....

I updated mine (the BMS and Master firmware). Nothing blew up and all appears OK.

Screenshot_20180913-105943

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

ya, i pointed out the calibration or “posture sensor” whatever thing they call it to u when i got mine. course typical marty thinks i’m stubborn. glad u finally figured it out. 

u can muscle hold it and using a spirits level get it close but it’s a waste of time because it doesn’t hold that position when u power it off and on again. very frustrating. i’m thinking about building a special stand for calibrating it. if i can do that, it wouldn’t be too bad to just pop it on the stand and calibrate before each ride. i just spent all day yesterday unraveling the mystery of why my v10f was all fucked up. i’ll get back to u on my calibration efforts. the v10f software is the best for leveling the pedals.

this is what u said when i was explaining the calibration problem, didn’t u try the on screen instructions?

“You're stubborn, I give you that.

Sounds like maybe your wheel has a defect. Both pedals should be parallel with each other, and Posture Sensor Calibration calibrates my pedals, and apparently others. But if it doesn't bother you, leave it be.

BTW, I don't feel like calibrating mine right now, but if I recall the app provides on-screen instructions which tell you what it's doing. Didn't yours provide you with instructions?”

I stand corrected. My apologies :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Part of a problem with @Marty Backe and MSX is Slime factor...  Not being able to add Slime keeps Marty from riding as much... I've recently spoken to a bicyclist and he fixes his tire with fix a flat can.  He said he just shoot couple of bursts with it and it does the job.  Since the can is pressurized may be worth a try.

I think I'm going to get some and at least carry it with me when I go far from the nearest road. Thanks!

P.s. And you are correct, at least a little bit. I think about possibly being stranded because I can't Slime the wheel. I'm almost looking forward to my first flat so I can change the tube. Jason has a new tube in the mail for me as I write this. But I'm going to look into the Fix-a-Flat stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I stand corrected. My apologies :)

ya i am stubborn. probably more than anybody else on the planet.

when the “experts” (doctors) told me i’d be dead in three months over 4 years ago because of my advanced stage prostate cancer, i said “well, we’ll see about that and no i don’t want any of ur horrible drugs or treatments”.

convincing the sheeple that there is a cure for cancer, is harder than curing the cancer. the government is excellent in brainwashing the masses.

what is really sad is, my urologist that called me at home and told me i had 3 months to live, when i call him 4 years later and say “hi, i’m still here” doesn’t even have the intellectual curiosity to inquire how. 

wheels are one thing, who cares, but when it comes to ur health, just because somebody is wearing a lab coat and calls himself a doctor, they aren’t God. figure ur shit out for urself. opinions is all they are. in a hundred years, doctors will look back at this time and think doctors were barbarians with terrible solutions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think I'm going to get some and at least carry it with me when I go far from the nearest road. Thanks!

P.s. And you are correct, at least a little bit. I think about possibly being stranded because I can't Slime the wheel. I'm almost looking forward to my first flat so I can change the tube. Jason has a new tube in the mail for me as I write this. But I'm going to look into the Fix-a-Flat stuff.

i suggested that before too.

they have two types. permanent fix a flat and temporary fix a flat.i’d pony up the extra for the good stuff.

i used to carry a can in my rental cars when i was doing wireless tower site acquisition in texas. and a gallon of water. someplaces i went, i don’t think the cows hardly ever saw a car.

8 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

This is the stuff made by Slime... I found it in a property I was checking out for someone... I have not used it in a tire but i squirted some out and it basically is a foamy version of slime... the can also states up to 1/4 inch punctures...

slime.thumb.jpg.99c1968d05c2d1f33a4c4057c403cb47.jpg

i see probably because of the tree huggers, there is no “permanent” fix a flat any more. now the stuff is water based. i was using it 16 years ago before people realized permanent fix a flat was gonna hurl the earth nto the sun. 

so now all the aerosol tire stuff is crap but probably get u home.

6 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

This is the stuff made by Slime... I found it in a property I was checking out for someone... I have not used it in a tire but i squirted some out and it basically is a foamy version of slime... the can also states up to 1/4 inch punctures...

slime.thumb.jpg.99c1968d05c2d1f33a4c4057c403cb47.jpg

I think this is for emergency repair AFTER you get a puncture. You then need to properly fix the puncture once you drive to a garage. Slime is for puncture protection BEFORE you get a puncture.

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

YMMV and I wish you success. But I tried the Slime fix-a-flat stuff three flats ago. Didn't work at all, and the hole was literally a pin prick.

• Like 1

if i was doing what marty was doing, i’d carry a 6oz can of that bike fix a flat and a small bottle of the tube or tubeless slime and the little tool to remove the valve needle. 

get a flat, remove the valve needle, squirt a bunch of slime in the tire and then use the fix a flat to pump the tire back up. two small bottles wouldn’t be bad to tote around in marty’s purse.

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

this looks like it was made for ur use. little 6oz cans.

Fix-A-Flat S60136 Aerosol Bike Tire Inflator - 6 fl. oz. (3 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0731DB157/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apu_YlRMBbGAJCMF7

Perfect. I was hoping that there might be a more portable version. Pricey stuff.

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

if i was doing what marty was doing, i’d carry a 6oz can of that bike fix a flat and a small bottle of the tube or tubeless slime and the little tool to remove the valve needle. 

get a flat, remove the valve needle, squirt a bunch of slime in the tire and then use the fix a flat to pump the tire back up. two small bottles wouldn’t be bad to tote around in marty’s purse.

I don't blame you for not seeing all posts, but the specific problem that I'm having with the MSX is that I can't put Slime in it. There is an obstruction (probably a flap of rubber) that prevents Slime from getting in the tire. Only high pressure air can make it into the tube.

This is why the stuff like Fix-a-Flat will probably work for me.

All my other wheels have Slime added before I ride them, as a preventative measure.