My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Just now, Nic said:

Oh, so you do wear full protection gear sometimes.:popcorn:

Depends on which side of the bed I got up on ;)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether a tether would be a good safeguard going down steep hills.  @Alien Rides uses one I see.  99.9% of the time you never fall, but that 0.1% of the time it might come in handy?

He doesn't use it as a tether. He grabs it during jumps to get more air.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:50 PM, Marty Backe said:

Real men don't use tethers :whistling:

See above. :shock2:

• Like 2

Was the solution to the Z10 not charging after a long ride to let it cool down? I know when my S1 was having this issue, reconnecting it solved the problem. It had been charging fine, but now it isn’t at all. Tried multiple outlet configurations. Green light remains green. 

Any help would be appreciated I know I read about reports of this on here before. It has been about an hour since I finished riding. 

• Like 1

@who_the, has no one in San Francisco gone down a steep hill and lost control of their wheel for whatever reason?  That’s kind of like saying I’ve ridden 2000 km and never fallen.  :cry2:  You know it’s bound to happen the next day, and the consequences sometimes aren’t that pleasant.

I think maybe a looped tether line with a quick clip isn’t the end of the world if used wisely.   I don’t ride down extremely steep hills, but I rue the day some bystander gets hurt by a 50 lb wheel flying down at them out of control.  Mark my words.  :whistling:  

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Three-Injured-After-Truck-Careens-Down-SF-Street-454344883.html

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

Was the solution to the Z10 not charging after a long ride to let it cool down? I know when my S1 was having this issue, reconnecting it solved the problem. It had been charging fine, but now it isn’t at all. Tried multiple outlet configurations. Green light remains green. 

Any help would be appreciated I know I read about reports of this on here before. It has been about an hour since I finished riding. 

yes.

actually i had suggested that and the guy said that once it cooled down it charged normally. my rc friends use to have fans for their batteries when charging. 

might not be it but first thing to check. also afer it cools to room temperature, be patient waiting for the light to go red.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@who_the, so no one in San Francisco has gone down a steep hill and lost control of their wheel for whatever reason?  That’s kind of like saying I’ve ridden 2000 km and never fallen.  :cry2:  You know it’s bound to happen the next day, and the consequences sometimes aren’t that pleasant.

I think maybe a looped tether line with a quick clip isn’t the end of the world if used wisely.   I don’t ride down extremely steep hills, but I rue the day some bystander gets hurt by a 50 lb wheel flying down at them out of control.  Mark my words.  :whistling:

especially the zed sled. it’s like a big car battery with a wheel.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@who_the, so no one in San Francisco has gone down a steep hill and lost control of their wheel for whatever reason?  That’s kind of like saying I’ve ridden 2000 km and never fallen.  :cry2:  You know it’s bound to happen the next day, and the consequences sometimes aren’t that pleasant.

Have you seen the leg tether in @Jack Frost's recent Z10 vs MSX video?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I live in SF and have a tether. I seldom use it though; I just route myself around the steep hills.  If I ever do go on the super steep hills, I for sure use the tether. Not only for the safety of my wheel, but to keep it from taking out some poor unsuspecting person downhill of me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I live in SF and have a tether. I seldom use it though; I just route myself around the steep hills.  If I ever do go on the super steep hills, I for sure use the tether. Not only for the safety of my wheel, but to keep it from taking out some poor unsuspecting person downhill of me.

I am still learning and I use a belt wrapped in my hand as a tether; don't want to be sending that lump to innocent bystanders when I screw up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

I had this problem, when I got my Tesla. It just didn’t want to charge. So I contacted my Chinese dealer and they said I first needed to plug the charger into the wall outlet and then connect the charger to the wheel. (In my case I have an on/off switch on the power outlet. So I always connected everything first and then turned the switch on, which works perfect with all my other wheels. In case of the Tesla the charger just turned green and it didn’t charge. Same happened with my second charger, the one of my MSuper V3s+. The MSuper V3s+ on the other hand charges perfectly on both chargers any way you plug it in) To make a long story short: I changed the plugging sequence as recommended by my vendor, 1. Charger to the power outlet. 2. Charger cable to the wheel. And miraculously my Tesla perfectly charged ever since. I don’t know what kind of magic is at work here. But maybe you want to give it a try. ? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, novazeus said:

yes.

actually i had suggested that and the guy said that once it cooled down it charged normally. my rc friends use to have fans for their batteries when charging. 

might not be it but first thing to check. also afer it cools to room temperature, be patient waiting for the light to go red.

When I come back from a days ride, I clean my eHorse, let it rest until night and before I go to bed, I feed it. So in the morning I always have a freshly charged relaxed companion full of energy. A routine highly recommended! ? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After a week of ownership I finally got around to adding Slime to my tire.

Even though I ride a lot off-road in the mountains I never had a flat tire with any of my wheels. So I am wondering: Is it really worth the trouble of doing this? What is your experience with Slime? I have never used it. Doesn’t slime seal everything....including the valve. I am also afraid it could create a centrifugal effect that does all sorts of odd things to my wheels rotation especially at high speeds. And especially with the Z, where I want to increase or decrease my tire pressures according to the kind of tours I am planning to do, I am kind of afraid I can’t get air in and out my wheel as easy as before. Am I wrong? ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Even though I ride a lot off-road in the mountains I never had a flat tire with any of my wheels. So I am wondering: Is it really worth the trouble of doing this? What is your experience with Slime? I have never used it. Doesn’t slime seal everything....including the valve. I am also afraid it could create a centrifugal effect that does all sorts of odd things to my wheels rotation especially at high speeds. And especially with the Z, where I want to increase or decrease my tire pressures according to the kind of tours I am planning to do, I am kind of afraid I can’t get air in and out my wheel as easy as before. Am I wrong? ?

See my response to your similar questions on the other post I made. You are wrong IMHO, but I may be wrong.

I tried to imediately switch to the ks18l.... Now I can't ride it :).   I overlean all my slow turns.

I don't think the Z10 likes to go straight I think it likes to stay upright, which in turn makes it go straight :) even at slow speed it's more upright then other unicycles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

I just rode my z10 for the first time, I almost ate it on the first 2mph turn.   This thing is weird.  I need more time with it. 

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

I tried to imediately switch to the ks18l.... Now I can't ride it :).

I just rode mine for the first time as well... Weird is an accurate description... I jumped on my Tesla right afterwards and felt like I was going to crash... LOL   I think the New, Different, and necessity to almost start from scratch is part of the fun :efef2e0fff:

:cheers:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Oh great…..I bought the Inmotion Glide 3 to learn how to ride and now I am afraid that once I get good and riding the Glide 3, I will have to relearn the Glide 3 after I learn how to ride the Z10.

My strategy is going to pick the Z day, focus on that wheel and don't ride anything else till the following day... we will see how that works out. Reminds me of when I was trying to learn to ride backwards... was like I never rode a wheel before...:blink:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Z10 Climbs 4600-Feet with Significant Finding On The Way Down

Five riders ( @Klin, @csmyers, @Chairman S, @Nick McCutcheon, and @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer") joined me as I took my Z10 for a test ride to the top of Mt Wilson, a 4600-foot climb. The Z10 performed flawlessly on the way up and only overheated once (or it would have if I didn't stop while it was 1-degree away from the max temp of 80-degrees). This is in line with my Gotway wheels where I typically have to stop once to give it a little cool down period. So unlike the V10F, the Z10 is a champ. Oh, the temperatures were in the mid-80's too, so this was a good stress test.

Man, I love this wide tire for rolling over the rock strewn trails. And it loves the sand traps.

The battery usage was right in line with my other wheels. @Chairman S was riding his Tesla (same approximate battery capacity as the Z10) and our battery levels were always very close throughout the ride up. So the Z10 is performing nominally on hills.

Now coming down was fascinating. I learned that the Z10 does not recharge the batteries via regenerative braking! Like Wow! This 4600-foot descent perfectly demonstrates regenerative braking, and all other wheels get a significant recharge (>20%) while descending this mountain. The Z10? Nothing. I was at 28% at the top and it dropped to 24% after the first couple of miles of the descent. These were tough miles so that wasn't a surprise. But for the next ~8-miles my battery level remained locked at 24-percent. Clearly the Z10 is capturing the regenerative energy and was using it to drive the motor, because my trip down the mountain was basically energy free.

But none of the captured energy is fed back to the batteries. This is very surprising. This means, relative to other EUCs, that the Z10 will have a shorter range when riding in the mountains.

I wonder if this is somehow related to the poor very steep downhill braking properties of the Z10?

I'd love to know why Ninebot decided not to regeneratively charge the batteries like every other wheel manufacturer does.

This is really...more than interesting. Each e-motor generates energy downhill/braking...and this energy has to go somewhere...cant disappear into nowwhere.

Did -at least- the heat get up downhill? As that could be also where the energy has gone...

Or, the z10 has such a weird motor setting that nearly no energy is generated...THAT would go with the poor braking performance.

At least to my understanding...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

I just rode mine for the first time as well... Weird is an accurate description... I jumped on my Tesla right afterwards and felt like I was going to crash... LOL   I think the New, Different, and necessity to almost start from scratch is part of the fun :efef2e0fff:

:cheers:

ha ha! i’m glad i’m not alone. 

i figure the z10 has wiped out about 50% of my comfort level with all my other wheels.

i think the pedal movement/sensitivity is somewhat like my e+ which i’m not a fan of. sometimes it feels like i’m getting pedal dip. all my other wheels are set to the stiffest setting and feel fine, except for the e+ and now this one but not as bad. i know it’s just gonna take my brain a little while to be re-programmed.

i’m wondering if gotway riders that are used to low and chunky have less of a transition?

after a few laps with the z10 and a couple with the 16s, and since i haven’t been riding much, i was sure missing my big pedal v10f.

i forget sometimes when i’m talking about what i like about the v10f but reminded when i ride another wheel, the ergonomics of the v10f is just a really good fit for me. 

19 minutes ago, US69 said:

This is really...more than interesting. Each e-motor generates energy downhill/braking...and this energy has to go somewhere...cant disappear into nowwhere.

Did -at least- the heat get up downhill? As that could be also where the energy has gone...

Or, the z10 has such a weird motor setting that nearly no energy is generated...THAT would go with the poor braking performance.

At least to my understanding...

The temperature on the way down was in the low 40's, not very warm.

21 minutes ago, novazeus said:

after a few laps with the z10 and a couple with the 16s, and since i haven’t been riding much, i was sure missing my big pedal v10f.

Did your V10F arrive at Inmotion?