My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice to watch this, a more geographical video that shows how everything looks and connects.

42 miles on <1000Wh? How does this work? Did you just go slower, or is the Z more efficient than the other wheels? What range does your 1300Wh ACM2 give you?

Just asking because 40-42 miles is about what I get from my 1300Wh ACM without slowing down (going just under the 30kph/19mph alarm until it beeps). Less if it is colder, but you wouldn't know colder temperature ranges :-)

I did explain in the video that I purposefully maintained speeds below 20-mph so that I had a fighting chance of making the 42-mile trip. I did a 45-mile ride on this same route (took some additional side trails) on my 1300wh ACM and had 10-percent battery remaining. But I rode the ACM much faster. If I rode the ACM at slower speeds (who wants to do that) I could get 55-miles from it.

It's all about speed and wind conditions.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Full Recharge Time

I finally had an opportunity to monitor how how it take to fully recharge the Z10.

After taking the battery to 6-percent during my range test, it took a bit less than 10-hours to fully recharge the Z10.

FYI.

This is inline with what I’m seeing.  To charge from 40% to full took ~6 hours.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I did explain in the video that I purposefully maintained speeds below 20-mph so that I had a fighting chance of making the 42-mile trip. I did a 45-mile ride on this same route (took some additional side trails) on my 1300wh ACM and had 10-percent battery remaining. But I rode the ACM much faster. If I rode the ACM at slower speeds (who wants to do that) I could get 55-miles from it.

It's all about speed and wind conditions.

But 20mph (30km/h) is my top speed (haven't removed the beeps yet), that's what is irking me. Unless you mean more like <15mph as "below 20".

Maybe I just have a lot of windage?:efeebb3acc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. I think you have to turn on the Main light in the app during the daytime to get the DLRL to be on and blinking during the daylight. Long-pressing the power button will turn on the main-light during the daytime, and cause it to blink also (when moving). Confused more? :D

I have the main light on in the app, but still the dlrl is on only every other power on. But I can always get the main light on by long pressing. I have not noticed any blinking so far, front or rear. Yes, very confused.

Edited by Ziiten
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Paolini said:

No idea, never tired my cowboy boots on an EUC, my assumption was the heel would cause me to over balance.   I tend to use hiking boots or motorcycle boots.

Just thought they would look kind of cool. Big fan of cowboy boots.

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But 20mph (30km/h) is my top speed (haven't removed the beeps yet), that's what is irking me. Unless you mean more like <15mph as "below 20".

Maybe I just have a lot of windage?:efeebb3acc:

I would say a lot of the riding was 27km/h to 30km/h

Here's are the stats from this ride

Geo-Tracker-2018-08-25-11-00-46

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

I have the main light on in the app, but still the dlrl is on only every other power on. But I can always get the main light on by long pressing. I have not noticed any blinking so far, front or rear. Yes, very confused.

The rear light only blinks when you are braking.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for your report. I love your "sitting on a chair" image :lol:  Even if it works, that's not ideal. Now imagine doing your hill but instead it's a bumpy as hell dirt trail :cry2:

Look forward your further commentary :thumbup:

Most of my wheel time is heavy commuting, year round.  I don’t do stunts on my wheels, never did any off-road with them either; however, in the name of Science!, I went here:

A7607878-445D-4FC0-9DBE-8996ACF17484.jpeg.bc5769b1325a24b3c736de191d702711.jpeg

Wow, this wheel just eats it up!  I made several trips up and down and around this hill and the Z was rock solid.  Previously, I’d stick to the paved trails because I wasn’t comfortable riding off of them, but with the Z I just plowed through the turf and gravel with a smile on my face.  Really just love this wheel the more I ride it.  I will state as I have before that in order to descend this slope, I had to shift my upper body to the back of the wheel to get it to start braking aggressively, but by this point I’m used to doing it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ziiten said:

I just found this video about the headlight and dlrl.  It seems to cycle through options but the video is kind of confusing also.  The light sensor on top of the wheel can be turned off.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I just found this video about the headlight and dlrl.  It seems to cycle through options but the video is kind of confusing also.  The light sensor on top of the wheel can be turned off.  

Thanks for the video.

I found this video to be very funny. It began with the stated objective of explaining the lights but proceeded to make a confusing video that basically said, "it's a mystery".

:laughbounce2:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Full Recharge Time

I finally had an opportunity to monitor how how it takes to fully recharge the Z10.

After taking the battery to 6-percent during my range test, it took a bit less than 10-hours to fully recharge the Z10.

FYI.

Is there a fast charger for the z10? 

6 hours ago, steve454 said:

I did some tests after watching the video. I can confirm when covered the light sensor will turn on the main headlight, but only if the lights are turned on from the app. I was not able to repeat the bug reported, i.e., the app switch not staying selected when leaving the page. Brake light does blink when applying sufficient brake force. Still no blinking headlight (which I actually don't prefer to use anyhow).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the video.

I found this video to be very funny. It began with the stated objective of explaining the lights but proceeded to make a confusing video that basically said, "it's a mystery".

:laughbounce2:

Me, too.  :lol:  I was like, huh? at the end so watched it again and was still just as confused.

• Like 2

Just curious - with the Z10, are you able to come to a complete stop going down any steep grade of hill, or is there “slippage” where you can only slow down?  With hills like in San Francisco or elsewhere, it’s quite critical that you would need to be able to stop confidently any where you go?  Or is it a case where you really have to  put all your effort on doing a “sit stop?”

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just curious - with the Z10, are you able to come to a complete stop going down any steep grade of hill, or is there “slippage” where you can only slow down?  With hills like in San Francisco or elsewhere, it’s quite critical that you would need to be able to stop confidently any where you go?

Well, I don't have much experience coming to a stop while descending a steep hill, on any wheels. But I would say the Z10 is stoppable on any steep hill, primarily because when descending very steep San Francisco type hills, you're going very slow unless you have a death wish.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Fast Run Mileage

Took the Z10 for a fast 24-mile ride this morning. Ended with ~30% battery and speed throttling to ~19-mph at the end. Just reaffirming my conclusion that this is a 25-mile to 40-mile wheel, depending on how hard you ride it.

Geo-Tracker-2018-08-28-10-33-07

And depending on how much you weigh! I'm 130 lbs, which has me wondering if the Z10 would get me to SF's Golden Gate park and back - a 44 mile round trip.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

And depending on how much you weigh! I'm 130 lbs, which has me wondering if the Z10 would get me to SF's Golden Gate park and back - a 44 mile round trip.

Absolutely. If my riding weight is 175-pounds and I could ride the Z10 for 42-miles, you're good to go.

Edited by Marty Backe