My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

21 minutes ago, stephen said:

WTF did i just see ??

Pretty cool video! Similar to riding a motorcycle, steer in the opposite direction your headed.

44246468371_2c0c81b283_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Right! And here is another example of how to go downhill on a Z

Note the foot position of the left foot. This is how you ride the Z!

Excluding dat stance, this is pretty much what I do with my Tesla down the mountain roads near my house. :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If you sign up for e-mail status updates, you will get an immediate e-mail as soon as the package is 'delivered'. Like within a minute or two. It's very effective.

Hopefully someday they will do what Amazon now does, if you use their phone app. You actually get notifications that tell you, "Your package is 4-stops away". And you can click on a map and see where the delivery vehicle is relative to your home. It's very cool.

Yeah, I don't really order that much, maybe once or three times a year.  And not that much in a hurry to get things, they usually ship pretty quick.  And it's like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love said, it's fun to forget you ordered something, and then it shows up.  :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Just out of curiosity: Have you ridden the Z for a month or longer (as I did). If not?! it really starts getting surreal and almost religious cult like ... ? 

Thats the nihon obsession with all things they love haha ? 

• Like 1

So I've been debating but wanted some input from all the Z10 riders. I actually am fairly happy with the wheels I have but was wondering. Which wheel do you think would handle massive potholes and cracked/warped roads the best - the Z10 or the MSX? You know in case I have to ride my wheel in the apocalypse. Or in downtown SF :facepalm:

Seriously though the roads I ride on close to me are in horrible shape and I occasionally hit one I didn't see that sends me flying on my MCM5. It doesn't happen often but it is currently the biggest existential danger I face when riding as a regular mode of transportation. I'm considering a larger wheel that has a better chance of absorbing a bump or pothole I didn't spot in time. I'm going to take some pictures one of these days, but some of the manhole covers I've seen downtown are sunken into the asphalt like 4-5" and there are a lot of giant bumps and just sunken in spots that are hard to spot because they are deep and sudden but relatively small in diameter (but big enough to swallow the contact patch on a 14" wheel easily. 

• Like 3

I just looked at my Z10 documentation. It also says that the Maximum Speed is 20kph

I don't think we can believe much of what the manuals say :)

I think that 20 km/h is just regulatory cosmetics. In most European countries the max speed for electric (bi)cycles is 25 km/h, so they can't officially say the thing does 45 km/h.

Edited by Ziiten
  • Like 2

My first weekend with my copy of the Z10. Wanted to do an extreme range test so I decided to try a river loop including the Long Beach oceanfront. 42-miles long.

Long video that has limited interest, but for those who want a tour of two Los Angeles rivers that I ride a lot, you may enjoy parts of it.

I really enjoyed this video. It gave me a good amount of time to get to know the machine better, especially the noises it makes, which are simultaneously endearing and teeth-grindingly annoying! :roflmao:Actually, I had been wondering about that (the sound of it) for a long time, because the pre-production model that we tried out when you came up to San Fran didn't have the sound working properly :(

My girlfriend has basically fallen in love with the Z10 (she's not alone either xD), and after I talked her ear off about it when I came back from the Saturday group ride to Half-moon bay, well, let's just say we'll be getting one as soon as Jason can get them in stock B)

Thanks for the killer video Marty! It makes for great drool-over material for her :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My first weekend with my copy of the Z10. Wanted to do an extreme range test so I decided to try a river loop including the Long Beach oceanfront. 42-miles long.

Long video that has limited interest, but for those who want a tour of two Los Angeles rivers that I ride a lot, you may enjoy parts of it.

Nice! I just came back from a 30km ride (which earned me a puncture) and found my toes cramping up, and going numb from 20km on.. how do u overcome it? Or perhaps I’m simply leaning too much? I wish u could adjust tilt of the wheels like Inmotion..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, justanut said:

Nice! I just came back from a 30km ride (which earned me a puncture) and found my toes cramping up, and going numb from 20km on.. how do u overcome it? Or perhaps I’m simply leaning too much? I wish u could adjust tilt of the wheels like Inmotion..

I think I just have tough feet :)  However, on long rides I do stretch my feet while riding, alternating my feet, riding on my heel or toes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arbolest said:

I really enjoyed this video. It gave me a good amount of time to get to know the machine better, especially the noises it makes, which are simultaneously endearing and teeth-grindingly annoying! :roflmao:Actually, I had been wondering about that (the sound of it) for a long time, because the pre-production model that we tried out when you came up to San Fran didn't have the sound working properly :(

My girlfriend has basically fallen in love with the Z10 (she's not alone either xD), and after I talked her ear off about it when I came back from the Saturday group ride to Half-moon bay, well, let's just say we'll be getting one as soon as Jason can get them in stock B)

Thanks for the killer video Marty! It makes for great drool-over material for her :laughbounce2:

Yeah, it's nice to have a version of the Z10 with a working sound system. That's cool that you're getting a Z10 and that you have a girlfriend that rides too. Lucky you :D

Glad you got something out of the video.

• Like 1

I found that after connecting to the sound system with BT, I wasn't able to connect with the Segway app anymore even though I made my phone to forget the connection to the speakers. Had to reboot my phone for the app to connect againg. Has anyone been able to use the wheel as phone call speaker.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

On the video, I see your dlrl is blinking. Is that a video effect or is it really blinking. I seem to have no such light mode. I think my dlrl is off on every other power on and by long pressing I get the main light on. Ninebot should add changing of light modes to the app. Currently the app only has lights on/off.

6 hours ago, justanut said:

Couple of things to try.  1) Adjust the tilt, 2) try boots with a 3/4 shank in them for support, 3) carve to take the weight off alternating feet and get the blood flowing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice to watch this, a more geographical video that shows how everything looks and connects.

42 miles on <1000Wh? How does this work? Did you just go slower, or is the Z more efficient than the other wheels? What range does your 1300Wh ACM2 give you?

Just asking because 40-42 miles is about what I get from my 1300Wh ACM without slowing down (going just under the 30kph/19mph alarm until it beeps). Less if it is colder, but you wouldn't know colder temperature ranges :-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ziiten said:

On the video, I see your dlrl is blinking. Is that a video effect or is it really blinking. I seem to have no such light mode. I think my dlrl is off on every other power on and by long pressing I get the main light on. Ninebot should add changing of light modes to the app. Currently the app only has lights on/off.

think I finally understand what's going on with the Z10 DLRL and the main light. Like you, the Z10 lights are confusing. Here are the different light modes that I've detected:

• All lights off
  • DLRL on
  • DLRL flashing
  • Main light on
  • Main light flashing
  • DLRL and Main light on
  • Main light auto-on (turns on when it gets dark.

I think the DLRL starts to blink when you are riding and the light sensor detects that it's not dark. When you stop riding, it stops blinking.

If you turn on the Main light when it's not dark, I think it starts to blink when you are moving.

I think the Main light auto-on feature will turn the main light on if you have the light off during daylight but then the wheel enters a dark area. Not positive.

But in general, I'm still a little confused about all the light modes. I wish you could more actively control these modes.

Confused?  :wacko:

P.s. I think you have to turn on the Main light in the app during the daytime to get the DLRL to be on and blinking during the daylight. Long-pressing the power button will turn on the main-light during the daytime, and cause it to blink also (when moving). Confused more? :D

Edited by Marty Backe