My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

44 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

The production Z10 is going to be a much upgraded wheel.  And who knows, maybe they'll be able to improve it even further a few months down the road with further firmware updates?  

I fully agree with your statement about the production Z10 being a much upgraded wheel. The two New control boards the Z10 uses have clearly noticeable additional components/changes made and runs a Newer Firmware too! I can't wait to be in a position to test it out for myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

I fully agree with your statement about the production Z10 being a much upgraded wheel. The two New control boards the Z10 uses have clearly noticeable additional components/changes made and runs a Newer Firmware too! I can't wait to be in a position to test it out for myself.

No question whatsoever that the Z10 is my next wheel.  Couldn't be more psyched about it.  

Honestly, having just upgraded the firmware of my 18S, it feels like a completely new wheel.  I'll never underestimate the difference firmware can make again, and the Z10 has hardware improvements beyond just the software.  I have a feeling those who have rode the demo Z10 are going to be amazed at the difference when they receive their production model.  

The 18S is powerful enough now that I'm not sure I'd even want more torque if it was available in a future update.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backe @houseofjob

Hey guys, was wondering what you guys thought about road salts effecting the z10 as they are spread out on the road during winter. Do you think they would eat their way into the electronics and damage it? Also, does anyone know how cold the z10 can get? Is it able to be rolling around in below freezing temperatures?

Thanks for all your reviews on these, great great info, very detailed.

12 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Marty Backe @houseofjob

Hey guys, was wondering what you guys thought about road salts effecting the z10 as they are spread out on the road during winter. Do you think they would eat their way into the electronics and damage it? Also, does anyone know how cold the z10 can get? Is it able to be rolling around in below freezing temperatures?

Thanks for all your reviews on these, great great info, very detailed.

All wheels are essentially the same in terms of operating in the cold and salt and ...

I have no experience with either, so @houseofjob is better suited to answer you questions, in a wheel generic manner I would think.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @Marty Backe I was just watching Chooch's video on the Z and he keeps referring to going over 30mph??? If I recall you were saying max top speed is 28mph?... I really don't need to go over 26 for my comfort zone right now but just trying to get a little clarification... Thanks

The wheel cannot go over 28-mph. The Ninebot app even states that the maximum speed is 28-mph. I've published a couple of videos with on-screen telemetry that shows the top speed as ~28-mph.

I don't know what Chooch is referring to :confused1:

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

The wheel cannot go over 28-mph. The Ninebot app even states that the maximum speed is 28-mph. I've published a couple of videos with on-screen telemetry that shows the top speed as ~28-mph.

Thanks... I guess U saw and know what I am referring to?? :efee78d764:

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Technically it could go much faster. I do want to be part of that ride....

Think of it as "going" downhill aka tumbling ??

@Marty Backe you live in an area with mountains right?

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @Marty Backe I was just watching Chooch's video on the Z and he keeps referring to going over 30mph??? If I recall you were saying max top speed is 28mph?... I really don't need to go over 26 for my comfort zone right now but just trying to get a little clarification... Thanks

1. You can always ride past full tiltback / max beeps (Gotway), but you are riding blind, never know when the wheel will cutout from high speed cutout (based on power vs rider weight). So technically, yes, you can always ride higher than the stated max speed, but all of the EUC companies that don't let you disable tiltback (i.e. non-Gotway) are software-restricting your max speed sans tiltback to create a safety buffer.
  2. I've watched plenty of popular EUC YouTube channels where simply the wrong details are stated...... just saying. :ph34r:
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, houseofjob said:
  1. You can always ride past full tiltback / max beeps (Gotway), but you are riding blind, never know when the wheel will cutout from high speed cutout (based on power vs rider weight). So technically, yes, you can always ride higher than the stated max speed, but all of the EUC companies that don't let you disable tiltback (i.e. non-Gotway) are software-restricting your max speed sans tiltback to create a safety buffer.
  2. I've watched plenty of popular EUC YouTube channels where simply the wrong details are stated...... just saying. :ph34r:

I guess technically maybe the Z10 could go 31-mph. You'd have to be riding a severe tilt-back, but even then I have my doubts.

For the most part I should just bow out of any discussions of max speed because I don't much care for anything above 25-mph. The only reason I rode the Z10 to ~28-mph was because I didn't fear (maybe stupidly) a cut-out from the Ninebot.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Technically it could go much faster. I do want to be part of that ride....

Think of it as "going" downhill aka tumbling ??

@Marty Backe you live in an area with mountains right?

yes

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

Thanks... I guess U saw and know what I am referring to?? :efee78d764:

Do, I don't recall the specific video - I'm not sure if I've watched all of his Z10 videos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe the Z10 did go over 28 mph until it became clutter with mud and duct tape. Are you sure all of the (his) crappy residue was entirely removed before your runs?   ;)

• Like 2

On August 7, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Steef Klonoa said:

@houseofjob @marty backe

Thank you for the response guys! I preordered the z10 on ewheels and hope to use it almost daily for my commute to work, so I'll be going as often as I can even when its colder out. 

Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading for a long while, thank you for your hard work sharing information...

Relevant to freezing temperatures, I have heard that people have had good luck with taping hand/foot warmers (chemical type) in places strategic to the batteries, so that they don't get too cold.

• Upvote 2

On 8/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Rehab1 said:

Tomorrow is mid-week....right? @Jason McNeil stated he’ll have some additional Z10 delivery info. :cheers:

Well.. the message went out.  It's not all roses, but hope for some.  I'm still a bit worried that Ninebot will have hardware changes that will not be in these first units. Do @Jason McNeilwe have any new information on that?

• Upvote 1

Due to specific Construction of Z10 its ability to ride in winter shall be better then for other Wheels because battery is much better insulated in the container inside the wheel so as long as you keep the wheel in the warm place and take it for the ride battery shall not freeze during the ride that much. But never keep your unicycle in the car or in any other cold place before the ride, run with low speeds and try not to accelerate qickly. Do not expect the same range. After the ride put the unicycle to room temperature for 2-4 hours before charging. Li-ion batteries love warm conditions...

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

Li-ion batteries love warm conditions...

But not too warm. According to battery university they start to suffer (age) already when reaching temps like 30C. Also you should not charge them if the battery temp is below zero. However, the same source says that storage in cold does not age li-ion.

52 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Ninebot Z10 charging problem.

I came back from a short ride and after plugging in, the charger remains green - it should remain red.  It's not charging and the battery is 44%.  Does anyone know what is going on? 

Time to see your dealer

1 hour ago, Gustesta said:

Ninebot Z10 charging problem.

I came back from a short ride and after plugging in, the charger remains green - it should remain red.  It's not charging and the battery is 44%.  Does anyone know what is going on? 

idk, maybe the wheel has to cool down? pure guess.

check the output voltage of the charger if you have a multimeter.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, novazeus said:

idk, maybe the wheel has to cool down? pure guess.

check the output voltage of the charger if you have a multimeter.

You're right it's charging when @Gustesta brought it into air conditioned environment.  All good for the first group ride tomorrow... :thumbup:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Time to see your dealer

I left the wheel to cool down and it's recharging again.  I had to bring it inside the house (air conditioning).  My garage was more than 100F.

Edited by Gustesta
  • Like 3