My Z10 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I'm so happy you love it!

I had one around the house, but I can't remember where I put it, and I've not seen it since I started riding 3 months ago.

Yesterday, while tidying my area at work, we found four in a box, so I have some Fusions to play with. I'm still a bit nervous about riding with a stick in my hands, but it's time to try.

Can you send one my way ;)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I'm so happy you love it!

I had one around the house, but I can't remember where I put it, and I've not seen it since I started riding 3 months ago.

Yesterday, while tidying my area at work, we found four in a box, so I have some Fusions to play with. I'm still a bit nervous about riding with a stick in my hands, but it's time to try.

Wow, Fusions plural!

Yes, riding around the stick can be awkward, I agree, but it's totally worth the footage you get! I just wish the one included with the fusion was just a foot longer... would be perfect!

1 hour ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Hey guys, just got my Z10! And oh boy do I have some questions already. How do i turn it on? I thought it was just a touch of the button on top of the handle. Is the charging pack supposed to glow red while it is charging?

Yes, the Z10 is turned on and off by a touch of the power button. Do not press and hold like every other wheel - nothing will happen.

When the wheel is charging the power brick LED will be red. Turns green when the charge is complete (a full charge from ~5% to 100% takes ~10-hours). Also, as the wheel is charging the bar graph LED on the wheel will be flashing the charge level. When fully charged the LED becomes steady.

Edited by Marty Backe

23 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Wow, Fusions plural!

Yes, riding around the stick can be awkward, I agree, but it's totally worth the footage you get! I just wish the one included with the fusion was just a foot longer... would be perfect!

We found about a dozen Fusion cameras, but most of them went in the e-waste bin as they were early engineering builds.

Have you considered the El Grande stick? It's longer. Again, I'm not sure where I put mine, but I found another during the work clean up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

We found about a dozen Fusion cameras, but most of them went in the e-waste bin as they were early engineering builds.

Have you considered the El Grande stick? It's longer. Again, I'm not sure where I put mine, but I found another during the work clean up.

Lucky! Hopefully they still work and accept Firmware updates.

I just got a 10' pole for my Fusion, but probably will only use 5' of it, as I like the more dramatic low level, close-up shots.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I just got a 10' pole for my Fusion, but probably will only use 5' of it, as I like the more dramatic low level, close-up shots.

They will work. The are pre-production units that have the final configuration of hardware.

They are the same as the one I've misplaced at home.

Edited by Jon Stern

54 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I'm curious, which 10' pole did you get.? The 9-foot pole that I got is carbon fiber, but it's either collapsed or fully extended. Looks like you found one that locks at different lengths.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm curious, which 10' pole did you get.? The 9-foot pole that I got is carbon fiber, but it's either collapsed or fully extended. Looks like you found one that locks at different lengths.

Mine was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SGNWY9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's twist to tighten (just like the included Fusion stick) so the length is fully adjustable.

The attach head isn't swappable from the GoPro style mount unfortunately :mellow:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Mine was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SGNWY9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's twist to tighten (just like the included Fusion stick) so the length is fully adjustable.

The attach head isn't swappable from the GoPro style mount unfortunately :mellow:

Thanks. Hmmm, yours seems a bit bulkier than mine. Probably heavier too. Always have to trade length/features for weight.

You may be able to unscrew the included head on yours. My stick (recommended by @eddiemoy) came with a GoPro head, but it unscrews from a standard 1/4-20 hole.

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Hmmm, yours seems a bit bulkier than mine. Probably heavier too. Always have to trade length/features for weight.

They all get heavy when fully extended, Eddie told me his is heavy at the full length with camera as well.

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You may be able to unscrew the included head on yours. My stick (recommended by @eddiemoy) came with a GoPro head, but it unscrews from a standard 1/4-20 hole.

I’ll look again, but pretty sure I couldn’t unscrew.

• Like 1

I have a little problem with my trolley / stand :efee565ab0: the stand wont work like it should. In 9 of 10 using the stand the wheel tilts over to the side. I unscrewed it, cleaned everything and screwd it on again with no change. Its nearly useless. For me it seems the stand is not wide enough. 1cm more could fix the problem :( Any one else with this problem?

I believe i have to 3d print something to make the footprint of the stand a bit wider :huh:

Got my z10 about two weeks ago and rode it about 300km. Permanent alert happened now when I charged it in a train with lock on and it tilted about 15° due to movement of train. I'm not able to unlock no matter what. App connects ok and I can modify every function exept unlock it. Posture calibration goes thru despite the wheel is in alert mode but it too is not able to unlock the wheel. Now I'm stuck with flashing wheel at my business trip. My firmware is 1.0.2

Stubborn alert mode

11 minutes ago, MaiKi said:

There have to be a possibility to reset the wheel like holding the power on button for 30 seconds or something like this?! 

You do know that our wheels are designed by the Chinese, right? Don't expect German engineering or American software :whistling:

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, iivejo said:

Now I'm stuck with flashing wheel at my business trip. 

What about unscrewing right side panel (2.5 hex included in the Z10 box) and disconnecting orange battery connectors (both of them) , waiting 1 minute and reconnecting the battery?   Opening the side panel is not voiding any warranty stickers as those are on the battery container screws and on the electronics cover 

Maybe it will help (I did not try as I do not have the wheel in such locked state)

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 2

I am constantly struggling with one particular thing, also mentioned by Ian in his first impressions video. E.g., riding on asphalt and there is a ridge, say, some reparations have been made and there are to plates of asphalt joined but one is slightly (~<1 cm) higher than the other; if I ride on that ridge and it is the same way I am going, it will always make me get thrown of the wheel. Even the slightest difference in their hight will do it. And I am riding with my tire pressure lower than 20 psi (~1 bar) (I weigh 140lbs/70kg). One way is of course not to ride into them but you can't really avoid it because the roads are so patched up and at times you don't even see them. I do not really even pay attention to these when riding a bike, but with an euc it's like constant vigilance and stress.

To give you another example: riding through a pedestrian bridge made of narrow wooden boards assembled longitunally, but not quite equally vertically (as they never quite will be).

I am guessing increasing pressure to the recommended 32 psi would make it much worse.

Lower pressure make it worse.

But bumps wont be as nice, right :). A choice to be made ...

Am at 31 psi for 70kg.

And yes that the ONE HUGE HUGE flaw of the Z.

Much worse than the difficulty of turning at high speed or the tendency to "embrass"  road's inclines

After a while you tend to get used to it tough and dont get your heart rate to 160 at each "slide ".

I take advantage of this post by asking how do you cope with road's "inclines"

I use my leg to apply pressure and conterbalance the tilting, is there an other more efficient technic ?

Edited by Vanzen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ziiten said:

I am constantly struggling with one particular thing, also mentioned by Ian in his first impressions video. E.g., riding on asphalt and there is a ridge, say, some reparations have been made and there are to plates of asphalt joined but one is slightly (~<1 cm) higher than the other; if I ride on that ridge and it is the same way I am going, it will always make me get thrown of the wheel. Even the slightest difference in their hight will do it. And I am riding with my tire pressure lower than 20 psi (~1 bar) (I weigh 140lbs/70kg). One way is of course not to ride into them but you can't really avoid it because the roads are so patched up and at times you don't even see them. I do not really even pay attention to these when riding a bike, but with an euc it's like constant vigilance and stress.

To give you another example: riding through a pedestrian bridge made of narrow wooden boards assembled longitunally, but not quite equally vertically (as they never quite will be).

I am guessing increasing pressure to the recommended 32 psi would make it much worse.

The Z10 wheel, when run at low pressures (~20psi) will pull left/right horribly in the conditions you mention. For me, the sweet spot is ~30-psi, plus or minus a bit. I never experience the left/right pulling any more.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanzen said:

And yes that the ONE HUGE HUGE flaw of the Z.

It is flaw, but not "HUGE HUGE" 

The Z10 behaviour is  between two wheeled EUC's and the single wheeled EUC's with narrow tire. 

IMO, if the tire is narrow, will be very difficult to fight the weight of the wheel. 

• Like 1