From an early construction phase, putting fastener strips on the pads. The same strips (or compatable) are used on each layer in the same place to allow the modularity. I felt i needed that to find the best solution for me.  

This is why your industrial velcro idea was so great. I could have used the velcro, but needed to do some testing with DualLock anyway, so it was perfect to use here. Turned out to be a bit of an over kill, but always good to overbuild first. 

B1D95A80-5AA2-4296-95EE-7733B836F08B.jpeg

5 hours ago, 68bugboy said:

That dual lock stuff look good.

Which one did you use, rubber ,acrylic or low profile?

I agree with needing the hard surface for the base.

I too need good support for my feet.

On my Rev-1 I used TB3870 250 which has the modified Acrylic adhesive.  No complaints, I did use pressure and 24hrs to let it cure. seems secure on all layers.  I'm thinking 1 strip or 4 small strips in each corner would have been good enough.  

On Rev-2 to save a little money (as it seems TB3870 has gotten more expensive) I used the low-profile SJ4575. In theory if I understand the documentation right, the adhesive on that one might be better for low-tension surfaces like the foam.  It seems I misunderstood though the interchangeability, and the low-profile should not be mated with the 250, but it does work and I figured if the configuration was good I could switch to using 250 if needed.  I don't see the need for many removals so I think it will hold up.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of a summary, but I'm not done experimenting yet.

1. Since on my design the platform extended from the front by quite a bit it was too easy fo that to get knocked or in a spill to have it lift the pads out of their mounting.  Sometimes I think I just knocked it while lifting.  I got tired of taking the minipro apart to reseat the pads, so I moved on to the next testing phase when I put the foam right on the segway pads without an additional hard base.

2. To attache the foam attached right on the pads, I had to remove the Low Profile DualLock and replace it with 250 because it was really hard to mate with the flexible foam, and the flexible pads.  It worked with a lot of effort and I rode it like that for a while, but the pads were not very secure.  Replacing the DualLock was straight forward, and I was just trying to save money by using the Low-Profile version.  

3. I don't think putting the foam directly on the pads offered any extra cushion, but it worked fine and is definitely the simplest solution.  Overall I think I liked it better with the base-support layer and the pads on that.  I suspect different materials will produce different results.

In general the pads do help and can make a difference.  For me it maid some fairly rough gravel roads no problem to ride at full speed, and it was easy to get up to full speed on many trails not realizing it, where often on trails I would just naturally be comfortable at lower speeds.  Off any road or trail the pads definitely helped, but I would like just a little more cushion.  As mentioned before just having more room to move ones feet around is also a benefit. I get the feeling the pads, were similar to the charge that would result from some larger tires on many surfaces.  I'll know more when I do that.

My Segway is less than 10km away from the 1000km mark, so one more ride and I will pass the 1K mark and at that point I have decided to take it apart and put larger tires on it, so it might be out of commission for a while.  I have backups though and the Elite, so not really a big deal.  The MiniPro got very neglected this Spring and Summer, as the e-bike was just so much easier to manage in many cases.  The EUC has been totally neglected and I'm now quiet bad again on it, seems I've adjusted to the Mini and my brain forgets the EUC.  I'll hopefully find a good new EUC though, as that still is something I could use a lot more.  I think the e-bike has worked out much better than I expected, and it's cargo capacity has come in very handy. The e-bike is a fairly practical vehicle, but not cool as the MiniPro or EUC.  It's also easy to carry an extra battery for the ebike and swap it, and 2 e-bike batteries are 4 times the capacity of a MiniPro battery, and provides a range 8x or greater than the MiniPro.  Carrying 2 extra MiniPro batteries gives very good range, but they are slightly harder to swap, and are quite heavy to cary all day.  Very rarely do I need more than 1 e-bike battery, I like it though to have top speed when returning home.

That's it until I get the large tires on the MiniPro, and maybe look at some other mods.

8 hours ago, 68bugboy said:

You will definitely love the larger tires.

You will ask yourself why didn't I do this sooner!

:)  Well I have 1 tire mounted, but not inflated yet.  I don't have a very powerful compressor so we'll see if that works.  I have the fender off right now, figure I'll get the tires on first and then worry about the fender mod.  Just sitting on the mini it does looks like a pretty big change even though in numbers I had pictured it as being a smaller change even after seeing some photos from others.  I decided to go with the large street tires because of how well they tried worked on the original tires for me.,  If it goes well, I'll probably mount the Hybrid on another MiniPro.  

Update: 1 tire on and inflated, the second one is ready to go.  First one was pretty easy, my small compressor running off my Li-ion battery pack had no problems inflating and seating the tire. So far so good, crossing my fingers the second one does not want to make things tough for me.

Update: both tires mounted and inflated, holding 50psi approximately right now.  Will leave them overnight.  I still have to deal with the fenders, but I think I'll try to tackle that tomorrow.  No tire sealant in either of them yet, I'll wait until after I test them a bit before committing to that.  

16 hours ago, FreeRide said:

:)  Well I have 1 tire mounted, but not inflated yet.  I don't have a very powerful compressor so we'll see if that works.  I have the fender off right now, figure I'll get the tires on first and then worry about the fender mod.  Just sitting on the mini it does looks like a pretty big change even though in numbers I had pictured it as being a smaller change even after seeing some photos from others.  I decided to go with the large street tires because of how well they tried worked on the original tires for me.,  If it goes well, I'll probably mount the Hybrid on another MiniPro.  

Update: 1 tire on and inflated, the second one is ready to go.  First one was pretty easy, my small compressor running off my Li-ion battery pack had no problems inflating and seating the tire. So far so good, crossing my fingers the second one does not want to make things tough for me.

Update: both tires mounted and inflated, holding 50psi approximately right now.  Will leave them overnight.  I still have to deal with the fenders, but I think I'll try to tackle that tomorrow.  No tire sealant in either of them yet, I'll wait until after I test them a bit before committing to that.  

I found 50 psi gave a nice ride.  60 psi yielded better mileage.

The fenders are not too difficult. Once you figure out the first one, the

second one will take 10 minutes.

3 hours ago, 68bugboy said:

I found 50 psi gave a nice ride.  60 psi yielded better mileage.

The fenders are not too difficult. Once you figure out the first one, the

second one will take 10 minutes.

I have the plastic supports sliced off the two fenders, and will be re-mounting them shortly.  I'll probably up the PSI since the foam foot pads should take care of most of the ride smoothness and I'd like the mileage, especially since winter is coming and the colder temps will affect the battery capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Preparing for Revision 4 now.

1. Rev 1 - A 3 layer sandwich, good, but not quite as soft as I would like. (never had issue with mini-pro foot-plates coming off, but I was probably just lucky).

2. Rev 2 - A 2 layer sandwich, hard base and then foam.  Foam was a little higher density than in Rev 1.  This seemed pretty good, but I accidentally dislodged the mini-pro foot-plates a few times and got tired of taking the mini-pro apart to re-seat them.  Not even sure how all of them happened, and not sure why I didn't seem to have the issue in Rev 1 (may have just n=been more careful).  

3. Rev 3 - A 1 layer solution with high-density foam placed right on the foot-plates.  This is a very simple solution, it does work and is especially noticeable when I put on my backpack, with battery, water, snacks, toolkit, etc. the extra weight is very noticeable and the extra pads make it much nicer.  I used the same foam as in Rev 2, but I trimmed about an inch or so from the length of the pads.  No problem with footplates getting dislodged and I took it on some fairly rough trains where I had to jump off a few times to to loose rocks and other debris and riding was quite slow.  Overall I just don't feel as secure or as sure-footed with this one, it was better when I had my backpack on, but it was harder to find a good foot position where I really felt stable/secure.  So I've decided to try Rev 4, and possibly 4a. 

4. Rev 4 - Use just the top-two layers from Rev 1.  This means the foam goes direct onto the foot-plates, and there is my hard poly base on top with the grip tape.  This has a slightly softer foam than Rev 2 and 3, which I think will work well.  The Rev 4a would be to cut the solid top layer so that the two foot-pads are not connected, but I think having the connection might give the more sure footed feeling I prefer.  I will leave the platform the same size as Rev.1 so I may have the problem of dislodging the minipro foot-plates, but I will get a feeling for the platform before this occurs (I will think about trimming it later if I like the basic feel of it).  I'm trying to maintain the option to go back to any specific option, so I don't want to cut anything just yet, and don't really feel like this warrants making a new platform before I know it's general characteristics.  

Overall I get the feeling that any particular design is really influenced by rider weight and terrain, much the same as tire pressure. 

Update: 32psi on the larger tires and Rev 4. platform was a very nice comfortable ride. Definitely hard platform on top seems to be the best for me.  Unfortunately with testing time getting to a premium with winter coming I also dropped the tire pressure to 32psi for possibly better trail riding and seem extra softness in the ride. Yesterday I was on a challenging trail and felt lower tire pressure would have been beneficial.  With the high pressure the loose rocks on the dirt trail and other loose degrees it was easy to get the MoiniPro going quiet squirrelly.    

If you calculate the correct pressure for those Innova tyres it comes well under 32psi :) My knobblies are rated at 189Kg at 50psi. If you weigh 100Kg then the operating range would be between 26psi and 13psi, depending one whether one or two tires are on the ground. Personally, I leave mine at 13psi for a very smooth ride, even though that gives the chance of bottoming if all the weight is thrown onto one tire. In practice that has never happened to me. The price of the smoother ride is higher battery drain, as it gives you much more rubber on the road :)

On 10/22/2018 at 5:39 AM, trevmar said:

If you calculate the correct pressure for those Innova tyres it comes well under 32psi :) My knobblies are rated at 189Kg at 50psi. If you weigh 100Kg then the operating range would be between 26psi and 13psi, depending one whether one or two tires are on the ground. Personally, I leave mine at 13psi for a very smooth ride, even though that gives the chance of bottoming if all the weight is thrown onto one tire. In practice that has never happened to me. The price of the smoother ride is higher battery drain, as it gives you much more rubber on the road :)

Also Flats as it will pick up much more glass ect. Not to mention tire bubbles. 

Archived