IPS S5

FreeRide

• 2 weeks later...

Hello EUC friends,  I am selling my new IPS S5 that will start up but not stay on for $600 if someone wants to fix it.  just send me a shipping label or add few bucks for shipping.  It had only about "2 miles" on it until it wont stay on now but lights up.  ** IPS FACTORY AND JASON AT APOGEEBUY.COM WILL NOT REPLY TO ME OR HELP WITH ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE SINCE THEY SAY I AM IN USA AND SHIPPING IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO SEND BACK TO THEM.  Please see my other forum posts for more info.  thank you

• 4 weeks later...

if you go to the iamips.com website whichnive been to hundreds of times it's now a different website and also the servers that use to update the software for the unicycle is shut down and they don't answer many people messaged me the last few weeks and there's nothing about them or selling units for a couple of months.  Go check...

• 2 weeks later...

It is so bad they disappeared. They announced a fully redundant (motor + motherboard + battery) wheel in June. Unfortunately, the design efficiency has not been reviewed by anyone. It would have been worth knowing how the wheel reacts with a faulty component.

The wheel (IPS S5) is still on Aliexpress (750 euros).

Recived the s5. First quick impression is that the unit compared to the zero is less agile. So turning radius is bigger.To be more agile I can place mine feets on the pedals more from the units base. So the unit can tilt more in the direction that I want to.when placing mine feet to the unit base it has a steady feel. The height of the unit it doesn't cut in the shin/calfs. It's now charging up.its it weights more then the zero. The tire was a lil bit soft so I pumped up to 45psi.its kinda a cramed to screw on the extension pipe on the valve. 

Have installed the android app from this forum. Is this the app that will unlock the 40km per hour? Bc i dont see it. Or is it unlocked after 50km distance? 

Edit: I got the app now from a member here that unlocks the 40km per hour option. 

Edited by triad88
Add info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Site seams to be back up, slow like most Chinese sites, but still it's up.

I have a IPS Zero and I've been trying to connect to the update servers for weeks. I never get anything but an error message. 

Does anyone know of a way to verify the latest version? 

Screenshot_20190219-140740.thumb.png.bbf4801f9e51997e8d99d705570fff25.png

On 1/7/2019 at 4:52 PM, triad88 said:

Recived the s5. First quick impression is that the unit compared to the zero is less agile. So turning radius is bigger.To be more agile I can place mine feets on the pedals more from the units base. So the unit can tilt more in the direction that I want to.when placing mine feet to the unit base it has a steady feel. The height of the unit it doesn't cut in the shin/calfs. It's now charging up.its it weights more then the zero. The tire was a lil bit soft so I pumped up to 45psi.its kinda a cramed to screw on the extension pipe on the valve. 

Have installed the android app from this forum. Is this the app that will unlock the 40km per hour? Bc i dont see it. Or is it unlocked after 50km distance? 

Edit: I got the app now from a member here that unlocks the 40km per hour option. 

I have I5 but only for in house playing because opened motor design. I'm curious how S5 looks from the bottom sight. Can you see magnets, coils?

similarly as here?

Edited by jitesar

They claim IP54 for S5, even for I5. But probably it is the case of control board, maybe battery. But definitely not for motor part!! It is opened to everything. All water, dust, mud, sand.. splashing from the wheel has open path to motor internals (cols, magnets, moving parts) !!!! And I really don't understand that nobody cares about that? It is show stopper for me. And because we accepted it with I5, IPS came with double crazy design with S5.

It is really pity because I like the form factor, case is build with focus on details, reliable control board. Very comfortable for learning: only one wheel I can ride backward ;-) 

BTW is IPS company still alive? It looks they gave up their business??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, jitesar said:

It is opened to everything. All water, dust, mud, sand.. splashing from the wheel has open path to motor internals (cols, magnets, moving parts) !!!! 

Do you have any picture to support this ? I just received my S5 and I can't see what you are saying.

Can you send picture from bottom of the wheel?

This is exactly what I see on I5  

IPS_I5_Gap.thumb.JPG.7702591b09e6f166555c72bbcf49467d.JPG

Because stator with coils is mounted to one side of the case, rotor with magnets needs to have some space to be able to rotate and by design it can't be fully sealed as normal motors in wheels are (borrowed pictures from russian tear down blog, because disassembly is not easy)

IPS_I5_Stator.thumb.JPG.d227fe5c396a9432c01760972d6e89a2.JPG

this is rotor part, connected to the wheel, with one side sealed bot second opened to be able to attach to stator.

IPS_I5_Rotor.thumb.JPG.3f3161820faf47164e534f5e4d370727.JPG

I worry that with S5 as there are 2 motors they connected stator part of every motor to one side of the chassis.

If not I will be happy that they left this unfortunate design. I really like I5 but this is not acceptable for normal outside usage.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jitesar said:

Can you send picture from bottom of the wheel?

Both sides are like on the first picture. I guess the gap is covered but it needs to be opened to check how tight to dust it is (the crew are big and sturdy, far better than Gotway). For water, the notice says to not go in more than 3cm, a pity...

I guess small modification of I5 shell can be done to get the same result in another version (if not done already)

A pity IF there is an issue of this kind on the S5 because the first impression is really good. The unit is really thin, a bit higher than a MCM4 v1 (and do not touch the legs while being carried, so no dirt on pants) and so rigid, and like the mten3 you don't touch the case between your legs. Great power and silence (!) also, so a really nice feeling of freedom and easyness, also the ability to do sharp turns using only feet. Small charging port, no big live pin like Gotway (I did not check the "live part" with S5, would be muchmore difficult) , nice large and flat foot support (almost no V shape) which will not snap by design (unlike my Gotway Men3 which has only been used in the citys). No problem to get near 30km/h (on the app).

IMG_20190302_112630_928.thumb.jpg.40feb1d539bfc89afa1ced06cee40550.jpg

IMG_20190302_115535_368.thumb.jpg.201ef846cdaa4fb1b0b5f49e57a9b7af.jpg

Edited by jbwheel

I agree that shell quality is great, size, pedals,.. and batery versus peeformance on S5.

this is how my gap between stator and rotor looks after only inhouse usage!

It is even coated with sticky epoxy and so it captures all small pieces.

66BE49F4-5177-425E-BE70-253EEBBA64F6.jpeg

2 hours ago, jbwheel said:

After today's ride under the rain (max was 34 km/h because of the wind).

Both side are the same one the S5, moving part but somehow protected from direct projections.

IMG_20190304_143317_209.thumb.jpg.15ad681e5e88515ba2a737e545fa141f.jpgIMG_20190304_143405_937.thumb.jpg.911d52763d4c5218b4dadb8b26f6dbf4.jpg

I think it looks better then I5. There is a ring rising from the shell covering the gap between rotor and stator. So at least there is not direct path to coils and magnets.

I think they also screwed it up with my I5, using some forewer gluing epoxy lacquer. Or they forgot to add second component to the epoxy. It stil glues after months of usage.

Enjoy your S5! If it looks as you showed up it should be probably fine.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I opened my IPS S5 wheel and it has two 259WH batteries inside when I connect the charger it shows green fully charged but when I look at the actual battery it has a red light flashing by the wires on both of them does that mean that batteries are dead?  Any thoughts?  

Screenshot_20190418-171336_Gallery.jpg