IPS S5

FreeRide

8 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Hence, 12V DC safer than 200V DC. 

Very impressive... What about 60V, 67V or 84V. Can you tell how much more dangerous it is ? Europe put a limit at 120V DC.

I was just saying that voltage is only half of the problem. You forgot some cases in your analysis.

Here is a picture of a guy who did not have time to realise he took the wrong charger plug. Unfortunately he has a Gotway with a live charging port.

Let's image kids...

IMG_20180622_230452958.jpg.cb6ba930812e6

• Like 1

I didn't forget anything, i said one example.  Not here to wright an encyclopedia on electrical safety, there are plenty of those.  I'm also not justifying 60VDC over 84VDC for consumer products. Europe uses 220-240VAC, NA uses 120VAC, i don't see any evidence that they have worse electrical accidents, but i have never researched it. They have always had safer plugs and better safety standards though. 

Just saying the obvious, higher potential, more danger. How much current flows depends on many factors. One has to look at how likely one is to come in contact with it.  Gotway makes it easy for you; aren't they nice? It took NA a long time to adopt grounded plugs, by the time they did metal chassis were almost a thing of the past in consumer products  

Yes the gotway charger port is stupid, and probably illegal almost everyware, but no one in authority is calling them on it just yet. Luckily that guy didn't just get out of the swimming pool before he decided to charge his Gotway. 

Edited by FreeRide
  • Upvote 2

On 8/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, Stan Onymous said:

Well you wouldnt know that IPS wants to adhere to US regulations when they cant even delive a Unicycle to the USA on Time. :whistling: :eff006f726: 

Considering we are past my delivery date and the way Green Fashion does tracking it could be anywhere between China and my house. Thats kind of obvious after ordering it, but if you want specifics, Green Fashion is all about the wait, not the where. Harumph!

Has the wheel still not arrived? I've been pretty curious about reports from this one.

I cancelled the order. It wasnt yet even made.

It is available now tho as of yesterday, but I wanted to get the higher battery version which is not yet available. I may have to wait in any case because my cars ae now eating all my money to get them fixed these next 2 weeks and this one. I wont have enough time to test it until October anyway. So I am holding off until then. 

I really wish the Green Fashion store didnt string me along like it was in stock for a month before they fessed up to it not even being made yet. I am a busy man with the Honda z600, a Subaru Justy carbureted 5 speed, and a 1986 Subaru Gl turbo, a Goliath express 1100 van engine and the interior for a Borgward Goliath 1100 Sedan. So I am not bored either. Lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I cancelled the order. It wasnt yet even made.

I really wish the Green Fashion store didnt string me along like it was in stock for a month before they fessed up to it not even being made yet.

Lol.

I have no words, except... lol indeed.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I have no words, except... lol indeed.

Well that $900 the IPS s5 costs was eaten by the Honda Z600 full engine gasket set, Cv axels, new piston set (only two for this car), and a new oil cooler mod shipped from North Carolina. It is a very small car in exchange for a very small EUC. I am sure they will still be making the s5 in Oct. My mechanic is only available for two more weeks, so my priorities are set for now. Urgent vs Important. Its an age old dilemma. :efefae4566:

19 hours ago, US69 said:

Recently Speedyfeet-Ian said in his Video Podcast, that he will not have ANY Ips Wheel...the contact/service experience of the producer/IPS on the I5 was such bad quality and that bad, that it wasnt even worth thinking about offering the Ips s5or any other IPS wheel again. And normally he is more diplomatic :-) 

He is more euphemistic than diplomatic, but yeah Jason at EWheels said much the same to me. Sure the failure rate is like Gotway in 2016 for the i5 model. I am a little skeptical about how some of the riders would treat a 14lb 13 mph wheel so I cut in half the failure rates with regards to Company fault. The cases are very fragile on the i5, and I am just fixing my i5 this weekend. 

The ips i5 is an amazing ride. Actually its astonishing that such a light thing can take you anywhere. I have never been a rider who thinks these wheels are actually reliable. They are like aquaintances that way. Thats why when the wheels really do perform and are reliable that they become our robot friends, or on the contrapositive our nemisis. I am in the former category with ips and as soon as I have time I am going to purchase the s5 and I am going to enjoy the hell out of it like I have enjoyed all my other IPS wheels. 

Reviews are for re enforcing an already held bias. They rarely tell one how fun the vehicle will be for anyone other than the reviewer. Maybe the reviewer is having a bad day, maybe the reviewer doesnt get the vehicle, or doesnt ever ride the way the wheel is intended to be. I dont live vicariously very well I guess.

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

Reviews are for re enforcing an already held bias. They rarely tell one how fun the vehicle will be for anyone other than the reviewer. Maybe the reviewer is having a bad day, maybe the reviewer doesnt get the vehicle, or doesnt ever ride the way the wheel is intended to be. I dont live vicariously very well I guess.

Yip! My view on this: 

It is a very common bad habit in the EUC community that -most- People would never ever self admit that  their wheel, where they have paid a huge amount of Money for,  has still some weaknesses.

Hard to find a "review" of an EUC where the "Reviewer" does not praise the Wheel or brand to the sky as "best Electric unicycle in the world", sometimes they even praise characteristics that yesterday they found on another brand as not good enough, Speed, battery size etc. Seams our EUC's are bringing back the small child in us, where nobody is allowed to say something about the new toy :-)

Edited by US69
  • Like 3

OH too bad about the delivery. Crazy that Green Fashion strung you along like that.  I thought they had more integrity than that.  I'm still looking forward to hearing about this one.  If the i5 starts to be liquidated I'll probably get one, but I don't have time to maintain it right now and the first thing I would want to do is replace the battery pack and that would be expensive.

I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to get the first reports on this s5.  Give them time to get their **** together. :)

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018 at 8:50 AM, Stan Onymous said:

What I am curious about is the way the motors use the power they are rated for. Are they two motors in Parallel or Serial connection?

Is it two 500watt motors achieving 1000watts or is it two 1000 watt motors working in conjunction for a maximum output of 1000 watts? 

Will this be a solution for the heavier riders to put less stress on the system’s electronics? Will those screw holes in the rear below the taillight allow for a Ninebot handle to be installed as a temporary trolley handle? I have one ordered for testing that theory.

There really is a lot to find out about this vehicle and I hope it gets to me sooner than now!

Did you ever receive s5? Thoughts on it?

5 minutes ago, Randalab said:

Hello, i just received my s5. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME THE S5 APK. ANDROID APP If you have it? 

Also,  Anybody else receive their S5 yet and have any thoughts or reviews?

I think yours Will be the first review. Looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, Randalab said:

Hello, i just received my s5. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME THE S5 APK. ANDROID APP If you have it? 

Also,  Anybody else receive their S5 yet and have any thoughts or reviews?

Look on the bottom of the pedals for a QR code, some manufacturers put the app link either there or on the box or in the owner manual.  The IPS website is crappy, clicking on the app link doesn't work.

I found a link at the Singapore official distributor for the Lhotz and Zero apps, but not the I5 or S5.  If you don't find the app where I suggested looking, you could try one of the other IPS apps, maybe they will work.  https://ipswheel.asia/app-download.html

@IPS Malta might have a link, but hasn't visited since late September.

Edited by steve454

It would be good to see a video review of the S5, or at least of someone riding it.
It has been out for long enough, but there is only a short video on youtube of it being turned on and with the screen of the APP. The video is 4 months old.
If anyone finds a video, feel free to share it here, looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone, after saving some money for this and waiting months to buy my unicycle NOW i have an update about the "TWO" IPS S5 unicycles i recently received, and the awful problems ive had since i opened BOTH boxes.  i couldnt ride the first IPS S-5 i received, and STILL cannot ride it. I opened box and it had only 1.13 km on the app and was cracked in the shell AND wheel was bent and looked touched up with black pen.  You can not put air in s5 tire without the long air valve extension tool and it was not in the Box so that was a big headache too. I immediately sent pics of app zero kms, the box, and packaging and unit proving it came broken just 5 minutes before. APOGEEBUY.COM said right away and after weeks of going back and forth with JASON its not his problem its the factory problem. I already paid him $862 to apogeebuy.com and he said he had one in stock and that if i want it he does NOT do PayPal or credit card only I would have to do a bank transfer. I trusted him. He does not respond to me now and i will have to put in the trash the s5 and loose all my money. Ok, so after i tried many times to reach Yueyue in customer service at the IPS and she did not reply for two weeks UNTIL i posted this bad review and photos all over facebook. Then yueyue at ips sent me an email at 10 o'clock night saying that she heard about all the reviews online. she promised to help me and to please for me to remove the reviews so I said ok! Now i waited for her to help me again it's been so long and she doesn't respond to any email so I gave her warning that I'm gonna put this review online and put it everywhere which I'm doing now.  I see there are many more bad reviews on the Internet about the customer service at IPS and bad product quality. I see many companies already will not sell ips product now.  My serial number is 0004 and I saw a person that has serial number 0003 selling the unit yesterday online brand new, so they are not happy also. Ordering from china SUCKS thats for sure and ill explain why...  so the first unit i cant ride and the second unit arrived after 7 week off aliexpress used.  It was not brand new and it was so dirty.  I also had 4 holes drilled on it i have no idea why?? I covered the 2nd one with padding after I cleaned it up to protect it and it rides OK but it definitely needs a lighter person nobody over 200 pounds for sure.  You can not go off road at all with it and if you go over a bump or something you have to a bend your legs because it's got no play in it and you could hear it rub inside. So i spent almost 2000 and i want to cry. I want a do over. Lol.  Ips and apogeebuy.com are so bad. See attached proof.  By the way both companies said if I want I could send it back for a credit but I have to pay return shipping which is $600 about from seattle not an option.   I have a lot more details about this drama but I don't wanna keep going I've said enough I need to look for a new unicycle now and save some money up.  You can email me at randal.ab@aol.com if you have any helpful ideas.  Thanks

Screenshot_20181017-211931_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181012-201912_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181017-212349_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181017-212337_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ouch! So in addition to quality control problems and a scammy manufacturer and scammy seller taking your money and running, the S5 itself is badly constructed and the shell keeps rubbing with heavier riders?

What a disappointment. IPS seems to have great technical know-how and even an app that may be better than what other manufacturers got (*cough* Gotway *cough*). But they just don't have anything else to go with that, service, quality, decent behavior, or just good wheel models (except for the i5). That's sad. Also I wonder how they stay in business like this.

I guess one should always buy from Ali or other platforms with buyer protection/money charge back. For $2000 you could have gotten an msuper X or Z10 instead of two broken, bad wheels:efef895ddd:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Randalab said:

Hello everyone, after saving some money for this and waiting months to buy my unicycle NOW i have an update about the "TWO" IPS S5 unicycles i recently received, and the awful problems ive had since i opened BOTH boxes.  i couldnt ride the first IPS S-5 i received, and STILL cannot ride it. I opened box and it had only 1.13 km on the app and was cracked in the shell AND wheel was bent and looked touched up with black pen.  

OMG

This sounds like a business without enough money to back them up.  It seems shotty manufacturing and assembly is their hall-mark.  Unfortunately is seems like they are dead, and one should not do any business with them.  I see there is an ebay seller for this wheel now at an outrageous price, but the seller has zero feedback.  Another scam waiting to happen it seems.  

Thanks for reporting back, it's too bad that whomever is in charge there now should not be.  Everyone should know that you never honor a takedown request until you receive what is promised, happens all the time that they don't deliver on their promise.  I hope you have put it all back on Facebook also because you can get good visibility there.  Be sure to link it to IPS the company so people wanting to buy even an i5 will see your review.  Put some i5 info in there and mention issues with the i5 so the search engines find it.

As you said I just heard on one of the recent videos about how SF UK was screwed by them and they won't ever be dealing with them again.  So if they will screw around with SF, a big dealer, then man help the little guy.

Really sorry this happened, this one looked like it had such potential.

Edited by FreeRide
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

As you said I just heard on one of the recent videos about how SF UK was screwed by them and they won't ever be dealing with them again.

Can you tell exactly which video? I'm assuming it's one of Ian's live streams, but I didn't watch any of them so it will be hard to find.

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you tell exactly which video? I'm assuming it's one of Ian's live streams, but I didn't watch any of them so it will be hard to find.

It was one of the live shows, but I can't remember which one as I was catching up on them.  It was likely one from 3 or 4 weeks ago, maybe 5.  You might be able to find it by looking in the comments, or if you can read the chat window before you press play.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What's wrong with you ;)

5 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

It was one of the live shows, but I can't remember which one as I was catching up on them.  It was likely one from 3 or 4 weeks ago, maybe 5.  You might be able to find it by looking in the comments, or if you can read the chat window before you press play.

I also remember Ian mentioning this. Probably 4 or 5 episodes back.

Edited by Marty Backe