IPS S5

FreeRide

It seems there is/was a 576Wh battery version of the S5 as well as the two smaller versions (see attached image).  I really liked the idea behind the i5, I wonder if @Jason McNeil is going to carry the S5 as well, and in this larger capacity? I don't see any mention on ewheels.com yet.

http://www.iamips.com/s5/

https://ipselectricunicycle.com/s5/

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 3.05.02 PM.png

Edited by FreeRide
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:10 PM, FreeRide said:

It seems there is/was a 576Wh battery version of the S5 as well as the two smaller versions (see attached image).  I really liked the idea behind the i5, I wonder if @Jason McNeil is going to carry the S5 as well, and in this larger capacity? I don't see any mention on ewheels.com yet.

http://www.iamips.com/s5/

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 3.05.02 PM.png

I saw that too and wondered the same thing. However, when I saw him at CESin January he told me that the i5 had a very disappointing sales record.

I am going to buy the middle 518wh unit and try to promote it with a video and a review. Maybe if there are enough inquiries he will be able to undercut whatever sale price I will eventually get it for. Probably be something like $2 less for the bigger battery version than the middle version I am purchasing. He is that good. ?

Mine arrives at the end of July, and I really cannot wait! I will of course Post videos of this one and fix my other i5’s power button and do a full comparison. July 29th- Aug 2nd

Edited by Stan Onymous
S5 is being delivered soon!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I am now looking for a decent trolley handle for this vehicle. I am not a fan of the perpendicular n trolley handle that afixes to the foot pegs and was wondering if anyone has any better trolley handles they have seen that would fit the s5 better?

Airwheel trolley handle might work?  Image result for airwheel trolley handle

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I had one of those swan handles on my ips tank350 and it was okay. Have they improved the height and sturdiness of the metal?

I do like that one a lot for looks. Something like that handle would be great if it is rigid enough.

I don't know if this will work on the S5, but it works on Inmotion V5 and Ninebot S1.  https://www.ebay.com/i/253734799383?chn=ps

Less expensive at Inmotion U.S,  https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/parts-and-accessories

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really cant wait any longer for the s5 to arrive! I saw the mcm5 perform and the ks14s I rode up in griffith Park. It is time for a small wheel off and this IPS s5 needs to be ridden ASAP!  It is on a slow boat from china since Alibaba is the only place to buy them.  ?????

To be honest, I couldnt find a place to buy it from the IPS website. Only the specs listed above without the 578wh battery option. :efefae4566: This waiting part is the hardest. Aaaaaaargh!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I really cant wait any longer for the s5 to arrive! I saw the mcm5 perform and the ks14s I rode up in griffith Park. It is time for a small wheel off and this IPS s5 needs to be ridden ASAP!  It is on a slow boat from china since Alibaba is the only place to buy them.  ?????

To be honest, I couldnt find a place to buy it from the IPS website. Only the specs listed above without the 578wh battery option. :efefae4566: This waiting part is the hardest. Aaaaaaargh!

I was wondering why I had not seen you report on this yet.  I'm still very interested in hearing first hand reports on this wheel.

• Like 1

Okay well since I have no more space for pictures and I was too tardy to erase some, here is an Artistic rendition of my Alibaba order -

7-16

shipment ready for dispatch. [ ].              

[ ]

[ ]

[ ]

[ ]

[¥] (that yen is supposed to be an airplane, even tho we all know its coming by boat)

7-29  - 8-16

? :clap3:       Estimated delivery date 7-29  -  8-16

So I have one more double space to go before I can get my hands on the most mysterious of all the Wheels coming out in the Summer of 2018.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm curious what led you to order the S5.  I got my i5 because it's about the smallest and lightest EUC I could get.  What I read about the S5 is that it's a 16" wheel with higher battery capacity and a more powerful motor --- bound to be bigger and heavier.   Is the point for you to have the lightest 16" wheel you can get, or ... ?

Not trying to challenge you here (!), just curious.

I enjoyed the ride of the IPS Tank 350 and I dig the feel of the i5. So I am excited about the dual motor low voltage system of the S5. I am also excited about how they will use that dual motor and battery system in this smaller vehicle. Sometimes less can indeed be more, and I am making a darkhorse call on this vehicle, but it just looks so cool.

I missed out on the 16” s5 and was only able to order the 14” s5. I want another choice for torquing up the hills in my area and going on short errands or trips. Something I can throw into the car and just use it as a spare wheel. Now if I can only find a suitable trolley handle...

I am also thinking of selling it at a tremendous discount to a fellow named Jesus who really enjoyed the IPS T350, but returned it thinking a motorbike to be safer. In the meantime I lent the T350 to a friends kid for the Summer. I think he wants to keep it, and now Jesus wants to buy it. So I will probably wind up selling it to him after a few months, and buying the higher capacity battery option. The i5 is the easiest wheel to learn how to go backwards. Simply the best all around low speed mobility machine.

Edited by Stan Onymous

5 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I missed out on the 16” s5 and was only able to order the 14” s5. I want another choice for torquing up the hills in my area and going on short errands or trips. Something I can throw into the car and just use it as a spare wheel. Now if I can only find a suitable trolley handle...

Is there really a 16" S5?  That must have been a typo, they would not have two wheels of different sizes with the same model number would they? Or did they call it S5-16 or something?   I still want an I5 with its limitations, and now an S5.  Might be able to live with just the S5 though, so I'm waiting for you to start having some fun with it.  I agree "the most mysterious" of Summer of 2018 wheels.

Edited by FreeRide

3 hours ago, FreeRide said:

a 16" S5?  That must have been a typo,

I figured it was reading comprehension from the guy who couldnt understand why I would want such a Curious vehicle as the s5. I was just playing with the guy. There is no 16” s5 wheel... yet...

From https://www.electricunicycles.eu/ips_i5_and_s5_the_new_electric_unicycles_from_ips-c__253

"The IPS S5 will be a 16" electric unicycle, which - except the larger tyre diameter - will be equipped with higher capacity Panasonic batteries and more powerful electric motor. For sure it will weight more than I5, however we can expect it to be a great competition, in terms of the weight, to other 16-inch wheels. It has to be reminded that 16" electric unicycles are usually heavier than fourteens."

Perhaps this was "playing" on the part of whoever their source was when that article came out (over a year ago, now that I look at the date).  

Still too heavy for my particular use, but interesting.

Still not here yet, but only two more days including all of the 16th for delivery. I did dig up this link from the IPS website that should dispell and create some of the myths about this Mystery vehicle.

One is that it can go 40 km/h. Another is that it is indeed a 14” wheel. Check it out...

:w00t2: I cant wait I cant wait, I cant wait. :eff006f726:

• Upvote 3

This thing might be a sleeper hit. Almost the same form factor as the immensely carryable i5, but with specs good enough for more serious usage. Heavy though.

Also, what's with the <60V thing the new wheels have (this and the Ninebot Z too)? Where does that come from?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, what's with the <60V thing the new wheels have (this and the Ninebot Z too)? Where does that come from?

Nothing  new, 16*3,6 = nominal battery voltage instead of 16*4,2 = charging voltage (67,2V).

The battery never provides 67,2V.  First writing is the correct one.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Nothing  new, 16*3,6 = nominal battery voltage instead of 16*4,2 = charging voltage (67,2V).

The Ninebot One Z is 58.8V (14S), 4.2V*14=58.8V, isn't it?

6 hours ago, jbwheel said:

:confused1:

Sure it does, when it is full. 3.7V (or 3.6V) is just the nominal voltage (used like an average) to compute the battery capacity and account for the voltage drop during discharge.

I didn't do the math with the S5 battery capacities, but looks like you're right here, it seems to be 16S (at least from the pictures). So it's a 67.2V wheel?

That still begs the question, why do they (wrongly, or at best misleadingly) use a nominal voltage instead of the one that makes sense (the max one, because electric shocks don't care about averages). Seems they want to be <60V (on paper, unlike Ninebot who really went for it). Why?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Missed the fact that they use 21700 cells, cool!

There are laws, at least in the US, that make 60V DC the maximum for a consumer product without more stringent design and certification.  Seems ninebot & Segway have tried to stay as legal as possible. First restricting NA chargers, but now it seems they have reduced their max voltage as well. 

Edited by FreeRide
  • Upvote 3

Well you wouldnt know that IPS wants to adhere to US regulations when they cant even delive a Unicycle to the USA on Time. :whistling: :eff006f726: 

Considering we are past my delivery date and the way Green Fashion does tracking it could be anywhere between China and my house. Thats kind of obvious after ordering it, but if you want specifics, Green Fashion is all about the wait, not the where. Harumph!

What I am curious about is the way the motors use the power they are rated for. Are they two motors in Parallel or Serial connection?

Is it two 500watt motors achieving 1000watts or is it two 1000 watt motors working in conjunction for a maximum output of 1000 watts? 

Will this be a solution for the heavier riders to put less stress on the system’s electronics? Will those screw holes in the rear below the taillight allow for a Ninebot handle to be installed as a temporary trolley handle? I have one ordered for testing that theory.

There really is a lot to find out about this vehicle and I hope it gets to me sooner than now!

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sure it does, when it is full. 3.7V (or 3.6V) is just the nominal voltage (used like an average) to compute the battery capacity and account for the voltage drop during discharge.

That still begs the question, why do they (wrongly, or at best misleadingly) use a nominal voltage instead of the one that makes sense (the max one, because electric shocks don't care about averages). Seems they want to be <60V (on paper, unlike Ninebot who really went for it). Why?

Well, for most people working in the industry or engineers, the nominal voltage makes sense.

On the other hand the max one is only useful to know for buying a charger. With some current, voltage output wont be 4,2V or let's say 0,01% of the time. Also for advertising, higher is better...

The safety issue is not an issue unless there is a live charging port like Gotway And it is only half of the problem, max current has to be considered.

Safety isn't just about a properly designed device when it's operating correctly. It's also about the risks when something isn't operating correctly, or the device is used incorrectly, or and accident occurs. One amperage of concern is the one through a person which depends on their conductivity with ground or some other point that is creating an electron flow, and the potential (voltage) of the source.  Hence, 12V DC safer than 200V DC. 

• Upvote 1