Anyone ever scrape their pedal in a high speed turn, over 20mph?

eddiemoy

059E490F-27EB-438B-A46F-21C6D3161B51.thumb.png.f851190ee912b6f6281b4b8c0d9d1ebc.pngSince I’ve been doing more high speed riding, I’ve been thinking about what would happen if I scrape my pedals in a high speed turn of over 20mph.   

Anyone ever experience this?  What was the outcome?  

Half my though is that the larger EUC’s like 18” will be ok, enough momentum to carry you forward.  Half of me thinks that it will result in the EUC turning like a pivot point is the pedal, causing a crash.  

I’ve looked at some of my turns and they are almost touching the ground.  

Edited by eddiemoy

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

Since I’ve been doing more high speed riding, I’ve been thinking about what would happen if I scrape my pedals in a high speed turn of over 20mph.   

Anyone ever experience this?  What was the outcome?  

Half my though is that the larger EUC’s like 18” will be ok, enough momentum to carry you forward.  Half of me thinks that it will result in the EUC turning like a pivot point is the pedal, causing a crash.  

I’ve looked at some of my turns and they are almost touching the ground.  

You'll have to train to put your weight on the outside pedal, so nothing really happens if one scrapes with the inside pedal (which then won't happen except one did not see some obstacle)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

You'll have to train to put your weight on the outside pedal, so nothing really happens if one scrapes with the inside pedal (which then won't happen except one did not see some obstacle)

I've found that when turning you should put your weight on the inside pedal in order to turn fast.  

Yes, a number of times on all my wheels except the Inmotion V5.

You should never ever scrape. If you are then stop doing what you are doing, because a caught pedal is pure misery.

I think on most wheels the pedals hang too low; it's easy to touch them on the ground with a crunch.

Things you can do:

Put all your weight on the outside pad; this keeps the wheel kinda upright. Personally I rise up on my inside leg with just the front front foot lightly touching the pad.

Angle your feet a bit out so the outside of your foot touches down first, ala Mike Hailwood.

You have a motorcycle right? We lean over a damn sight more on bikes that we can on wheels.

Find an area with curvy places like a park, and just rip for 20 minutes. It's amazing how pedal scraping becomes a non issue when you hit the same turn again and again every 10 seconds.

It is not good to scrape at high speed.  As everyone is saying lean more with your body and less with the wheel. This video show me scraping twice without a crash at 20mph. I was coming down a steep hill, turning and then back up.       Scrape is at 1:20.     MSuper 18”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

It is not good to scrape at high speed.  As everyone is saying lean more with your body and less with the wheel. This video show me scraping twice without a crash at 20mph. I was coming down a steep hill, turning and then back up.       Scrape is at 1:20.     MSuper 18”

when you are going fast it is all body, can't really lean just the wheel at high speeds?  yeh, on motorcycle you can lean 45 degrees, i'm sure you can do it here to on EUC but with pedal scrape.

Since @LanghamP mentioned motorcycles: Another important point is never brake ? while turning - this would bring your front pedal corner down ready to scrape! Best is (was with motorcycles) to slightly accelerate through turns, as turning decelerates one... So they pedals stay straight at least and the front corner cannot dig into something...

41 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I've found that when turning you should put your weight on the inside pedal in order to turn fast.  

But you mentioned "high" speed turns- so one just needs some certain turn radius. Putting weight on the inside pedal and turning fast needs breaking before the turn...

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

But you mentioned "high" speed turns- so one just needs some certain turn radius. Putting weight on the inside pedal and turning fast needs breaking before the turn...

I used to break before I turn, now I just lean on my inside toe to turn faster.  kind of like in a motorcycle where you provide constant throttle on a turn.  I just don't do the breaking part.  Sometimes I still do, but most of the time now I just press forward.  

It just drags a little and makes that scuffing sound just like RockyTop demonstrated.  No biggie as long as you don't panic.  Just ride through it.  I think it's similar to how skateboarders ride on their scrape guards or ride the rails.  I've got vinyl strip protectors on my pedals which help avoid scuffing up the aluminum.  I wouldn't continue to put more tilt on the pedal, but just reduce the lean to stop it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

when you are going fast it is all body, can't really lean just the wheel at high speeds?  yeh, on motorcycle you can lean 45 degrees, i'm sure you can do it here to on EUC but with pedal scrape.

Watch the Chooch videos.  Watch how in some videos his knees are bent and his body is way off to one side when turning. When I watch Chooch I am always keeping track of his position/ center of gravity compaired to the wheel.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I used to break before I turn, now I just lean on my inside toe to turn faster.  kind of like in a motorcycle where you provide constant throttle on a turn.  I just don't do the breaking part.  Sometimes I still do, but most of the time now I just press forward.  

When you compare a street motorcycle to dirt motorcycles. On the street bike you lean yourself or even slide off the seat and ride low beside the bike (you lean more than the bike). On a dirt bike, the bike leans and you do not. ( unless the turn is banked)  On the EUC you need to lean more than the EUC 

7 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It just drags a little and makes that scuffing sound just like RockyTop demonstratedNo biggie as long as you don't panic.  Just ride through it.  I think it's similar to how skateboarders ride on their scrape guards or ride the rails.  I've got vinyl strip protectors on my pedals which help avoid scuffing up the aluminum.  I wouldn't continue to put more tilt on the pedal, but just reduce the lean to stop it.

Having the weight on the inside feet/pedal and scraping would make me feel very uncomfortable - just some small pebble getting caught betwern the pedal and the street could cause a fall... 

• Like 1

From the few times I've done it I get the feeling that the pedal / shoe just skims the ground.  I don't think there's enough drag produced to really affect your curve, or at least I've never noticed anything.  It just makes an awful scraping sound.  Less so with vinyl protective strips.  :efef927839:  Unless you're going really slowly or putting a lot of pressure on the scraping side, I think momentum and the motor drive tends to help get you through it without any issues.  Maybe gliding without power would be a different story, but usually the motor seems to drive you through the scrape.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Watch the Chooch videos.  Watch how in some videos his knees are bent and his body is way off to one side when turning. When I watch Chooch I am always keeping track of his position/ center of gravity compaired to the wheel.

Keep in mind his weight and small body frame. I believe it's a lot easier for someone of his stature to ride like that than someone of, let's say my stature (5'11" @ 175-pounds).

• Like 1