What to pick?

Hi, I am looking for a EUC for under 400$.

I don't really care about brands, as long as it is a good product.

I would like it to be decently quick and able to go 10-15km (Distance)

I live in Norway so if it doesn't ship I propably can't get it.

And looking great is also a small bonus.

I apologise if I have any typos. :)

3 hours ago, IvanNotTerrible said:

Hi, I am looking for a EUC for under 400$.

I don't really care about brands, as long as it is a good product.

I would like it to be decently quick and able to go 10-15km (Distance)

I live in Norway so if it doesn't ship I propably can't get it.

And looking great is also a small bonus.

I apologise if I have any typos. :)

It's not possible to buy a good new EUC for under $400. You'll have to try and find a used wheel.

33 minutes ago, IvanNotTerrible said:

But do you think you could recomend me something in that price range?

Sorry, I can't in good conscious recommend a wheel in that price range. Maybe someone else can help you.

A well used InMotion V5F might fit your price range. They are reliable. Not fast but not horribly slow. Look good. Have the range you desire. No EUC's in your price range will have powerful motors so they are not advisable if you are much over 75 kilos IMO. A used older 14" KingSong might be cheap enough but I don't know all the model numbers for those and one has a weak axle that can break.

You really need to save up a bit more if you can and allow some money for a set of knee/elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet. This is the minimum safety gear.

If you live in Norway, and are under 100kg a Used Kingsong 14C with the 800watt motor or a used IPS T-350 or similar specs IPS used vehicle would be perfect as well as the Inmotion V5F or V5F+

Also, if someone has a three year old V8, it should only be sold for that amount if they even want to sell it. So if you see a V8 or Glide 3 for $450, grab it.

These are the safest, most enjoyable vehicles in that range. I have seen newer Daico? Models on Alibaba, but They are S L O W and under powered, but new. I have no experience with them and if their motors are under 500 watts, you will be disappointed after the first month. Like all of these vehicles, wrist guards are suggested, since accidents can happen at any speed, and the wrists are the first things to brace your fall.

8 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Also, if someone has a three year old V8, it should only be sold for that amount if they even want to sell it. So if you see a V8 or Glide 3 for $450, grab it.

Were they around 3 years ago? I thought it came out about 2 years ago.

Well, they came out in 2016, so this is the beginning of year 3. Kind of amazing machine when you think about it that way. The KS14C 800watt came out at the end of 2015. There are some really good vehicles waiting to be poached out there.

51 minutes ago, IvanNotTerrible said:

Ow and btw I weight 50kg (110lbs)

Then the wheels already suggested above would be fine for you in most circumstances. If you intend to ride a lot of hilly terrain or a surface of poor quality (potholes, unmade trails) then you would need to execute more caution as they are considered wheels with weak motors now with increased chance of a fall should you hit a big hole but with that said I have a V8 that is only 800W and at 165-170lb fully loaded I have had no problems in over 800 miles. I ride conservatively with the power limitation of the motor in mind on paved sidewalks and roads of reasonable quality. My terrain is flat except for low level bridges.

My recommendation of setting aside funds for protective gear still stands however and in fact need for protection is increased if you ride a weaker wheel.

Also on all of the above vehicles, your weight will be fine, and at most of those speeds below 17 mph if you hit a pothole, you will be able to run it off, because you will probably be traveling at nearer to 15 mph when you react and possibly get tossed off a little. I had to run many bump offs when I was first learning on the lower powered vehicles. 

That said, always head the beeps better than you would your Mother’s advice. If you really can run most of your falls off, then wrist guards and elbow pads are still the best protection. A helmet is a great idea if you are going to be going faster than 17mph., and others say below that too.

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

Also on all of the above vehicles, your weight will be fine, and at most of those speeds below 17 mph if you hit a pothole, you will be able to run it off, because you will probably be traveling at nearer to 15 mph when you react and possibly get tossed off a little. I had to run many bump offs when I was first learning on the lower powered vehicles. 

That said, always head the beeps better than you would your Mother’s advice. If you really can run most of your falls off, then wrist guards and elbow pads are still the best protection. A helmet is a great idea if you are going to be going faster than 17mph., and others say below that too.

Can you run a 4-minute mile? That's 15-mph. Nobody can runoff a wheel traveling at 15-mph. I have my doubts that anyone can run off a wheel at 8-mph. You might get a few steps but then you're going down.

3 hours ago, IvanNotTerrible said:

Ow and btw I weight 50kg (110lbs)

For a starter wheel, I'd recommend the Ninebot E+ (16") or S2 (14") if you can find one at or near $400. They're solid, reliable and will take a beating. If you can accept 25km/hour or less, they'll be fast enough on mostly level terrain and will easily go 15-20+ km at your weight. Above $600 there are better choices, like the Inmotion wheels.

You will probably want to start saving soon for your second wheel, though.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you run a 4-minute mile? That's 15-mph. Nobody can runoff a wheel traveling at 15-mph. I have my doubts that anyone can run off a wheel at 8-mph. You might get a few steps but then you're going down.

I can run over 15 mph in a 100 yd dash and this is the space needed. You wont need a mile to run it off nor should you.

19 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I can run over 15 mph in a 100 yd dash and this is the space needed. You wont need a mile to run it off nor should you.

You would need to instantly be running at 15-mph. I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS on all the people that say you can just run off the wheel. Only if your wheel is moving at <8-mph do you have a chance.

I have personal experience being dumped at 12 - 15mph and I was only able to get a couple of steps before I tumbled to the ground.

and here's the high-speed version

Well, Quora has the Average running speed of a healthy person to be 10-15 mph. Thats average. Not Top.

Yes it is difficult to get going from a launch out of a pothole, but the only time I was not able to do it was when I was pretending to be water skiing on my V8 behind my friend in a Subaru while they were pulling away from a stop sign.  I got about 4 steps, long steps in before I was able to go down to elbow and wrist guards and toes. It was just under 19 mph. Dont push the V8 when you only have 29% battery left. Btw it was not my friend as it turned out and he was as shocked as I was when I thanked him for stopping and was going to ask when he got his fender fixed.

Since I was on the V8 I was wearing a helmet, and wearing a helmet has the added benefit of plausible deniabilty should anyone ask if that was you slamming balls first into a parking lot pole.

3 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Make a video of you running off your wheel at 15 mph+. I know it can be done with some luck and talent, and I actually sprint train for just such a scenario, but I still would not treat such a feat casually.

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Make a video of you running off your wheel at 15 mph+. I know it can be done with some luck and talent, and I actually sprint train for just such a scenario, but I still would not treat such a feat casually.

I think if I can run past a 15 mph EUC with in 50 yrds in sort of a relay type of start that would about do it.

Thing is, if you dont feel you can run that fast, wear a helmet. Once your foot hits the ground you will be doing 13 mph and you have to just speed up enough to upright your body, or slow down enough to do it gradually. If you have ever run down a mountain you will get a similar feeling. My point still being if its running speed I dont wear a helmet running even if there are the same risks, and we are speaking of under powered EUCs, not anything over 799 watts, so the cruising is generally more like 13-15mph at best.

I've never had to run off so I've no idea if it can be done but I would suggest that it would be much easier for a featherweight like @Stan Onymous to run at speed from relative standstill than most others because the reduced leg mass would be easier to accelerate to the necessary pace. Just a theory. None of this, however, helps the OP pick an affordable cheap safe wheel.

EDIT: Another thought is that someone with less mass has significantly less stored kinetic energy at speed than a heavier person. Therefore each step Stan can put down probably decelerates him much more than each step a heavier person could put down. Within one or two steps Stan could very well have reduced his overall speed to a point at which he could accelerate his legs back under and prevent a rotational fall whereas a person weighing more could still travelling too fast to be able to accelerate their legs back under them and regain their balance.

Archived