Torsten Daerr

How to calculate cost for charging my Ninebot One?

Okay, I do admit I should know this myself but I'm not sure so I'm asking you hoping you forgive me for asking such a stupid question. I'm trying to calculate the cost for charging my Ninebot One. It has a 240Wh battery, which is 0,24 KWh, correct? So, if the cost for 1KWh is let's say 25 cent, it cost only 6 Cent to fully charge the battery? It somehow seems way too low which means I can't get the calculation right. Who can help? Many thanks in advance. 

You also have to consider the charger efficiency and the heat losses. If you assume an efficiency of 80% (probably less than the real one), you have to add 25% to your calculated value (0,8/1 = 1/1,25). So that's 7,5 cents according to your calculations.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I think your calculation is correct. I also asked this question using my electric bill and costs, and came up with 8-15 cents to charge 840 kwh (??) on my ks14.

EUCs may be the most efficient vehicle ever devised, surprisingly even more efficient than e-bikes.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rotciv said:

To be more accurate, you could use a meter between the charger and the outlet. This will give you a better usage reading to account for efficiency. 

I have done exactly this, and determined that to carry 110+ kg, my cost is 0.75c per kilometre

This is what I bought (there will be similar available wherever you might be)… http://www.elto.co.nz/product-catalogue/electrical-accesories/accessories/power-meter

And here is a guy who made his own... http://thatpowerguy.nz/building-home-power-monitor/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have done exactly this, and determined that to carry 110+ kg, my cost is 0.75c per kilometre

Do you mean New Zealand cents? It still would be about 10 times as much as my costs. How is this possible? 

I calculated about 2.5c (US) for my round trip commute (10 miles) or about 0.25c per mile. This was using a charge doctor to measure power in and an estimate for transformer losses. What I don't recall is if this was calculated using the expensive first x amount of Wh my utility charges me over the top for or the cheaper rate for all consumption above x amount. There was quite a difference in price. Thieving b*$^#$ds.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Torsten Daerr said:

Do you mean New Zealand cents? It still would be about 10 times as much as my costs. How is this possible? 

You need to remember that I have to pay the "fat guy" tax to the electricity gods.

There are also a lot of other factors, such as riding style, terrain and even the age of the battery that will alter the running (rolling?) cost.

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

I used to have to pay the fat guy tax to the electric unicycle gods too until I found a way to get rid of it. If you like I'll share it with you for a small one time fee 🙂

31 minutes ago, Torsten Daerr said:

I used to have to pay the fat guy tax to the electric unicycle gods too until I found a way to get rid of it. If you like I'll share it with you for a small one time fee 🙂

The Fit Unicyclist doesn't have such a great ring to it. One letter. HUGE difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Torsten Daerr said:

How can and why should it get cheaper than 2,5 cents per 10 kilometer :-)? 

You must also take the consideration that electricity costs vary based on the company you get it from. In example, If you buy a big solar panel and some battery storage, then charging becomes free. But the time it would take to make it pay for itself would be quite some time as solar panels are expensive.

In my area, we get our electricity from rivers, wind, solar, and there may be some old coal areas out here. Because of this, during spring when the snow melts, the electricity is cheaper. It is also more expensive for solar electricity during night, high demand, no sunlight. But during the day time, most people are at work, electricity costs are lower. It really depends on your electric company. 

I looked up the math for charging my 2011 Nissan Leaf and for a full charge it costs about 25 cents. Chargers in the area that you pay to use cost either $2 per use, or something like 25 cents an hour. It fluctuates. So I get about 50 ish miles (the battery is really old, almost 100k miles) for $0.25) if you compare it to say a 2018 Prius. 58 mpg city. with gas costing let us say $3.80 it is still cheaper per mile for the Nissan Leaf. The gas tank for the Prius is 11.3 which is about 600 miles on a full tank compared to the my Leaf which is 50 miles on a charge.

I think I got off track here. But the point is, if it costs me 25 cents to charge an electric car, it should cost WAY less to charge an EUC.

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, WARPed1701D said:

The Fit Unicyclist doesn't have such a great ring to it. One letter. HUGE difference.

Mrs. TFU agrees with you... It would be a HUGE difference...

But as the official crash-test-dummy for Roll.nz, the extra padding is a bonus!  

• Like 1