$1600 Electric Unicycle Review | inmotion v10

Kuji Rolls

It's Kuji here. I used to roll with the guys in SF, but moved to China about a year ago to work with Ninebot to follow my passion. I'm an entrepreneur who is just obsessed with self balancing vehicles. Things at Ninebot didnt pan out as i had hoped, but my obsession with electric unicycles hasn't been fazed. I figured id show off my first piece of work on reviewing the new inmotion v10F. I dont have any background making films, but I figured id give it a shot and start making videos about self balancing vehicles, electric things, and seeing where this takes me. It's less than 5 minutes long, super dense, hopefully entertaining and funny. It covers about 80% of what I feel about the V10F after riding over 500km on it. 

I figured id post it in 'general discussions' rather than specifically in the inmotion category since i think this video would appeal to all electric wheel riders. 

Since this is my first video, it would be SUPER appreciated if you 'subscribed' to my channel... More to come! 

I hope you guys like it! Here's the video: 

14 hours ago, Arklag said:

It's Kuji here. I used to roll with the guys in SF, but moved to China about a year ago to work with Ninebot to follow my passion. I'm an entrepreneur who is just obsessed with self balancing vehicles. Things at Ninebot didnt pan out as i had hoped, but my obsession with electric unicycles hasn't been fazed. I figured id show off my first piece of work on reviewing the new inmotion v10F. I dont have any background making films, but I figured id give it a shot and start making videos about self balancing vehicles, electric things, and seeing where this takes me. It's less than 5 minutes long, super dense, hopefully entertaining and funny. It covers about 80% of what I feel about the V10F after riding over 500km on it. 

I figured id post it in 'general discussions' rather than specifically in the inmotion category since i think this video would appeal to all electric wheel riders. 

Since this is my first video, it would be SUPER appreciated if you 'subscribed' to my channel... More to come! 

I hope you guys like it! Here's the video: 

Love that high speed carve across the pond :thumbup:

"I always wear a full face helmet", except when performing high-speed testing in parking garage :laughbounce2:

It's fair to compare it against the Tesla, but the Z10 is a bit apples-to-oranges, IMO. Speaking of which, you said at the beginning that you were going to compare it against the Tesla and Z10 - what happened ;)

All kidding aside, I really liked your video. Please do more :efefd0f676:

4 hours ago, Arklag said:

It's Kuji here. I used to roll with the guys in SF, but moved to China about a year ago to work with Ninebot to follow my passion. I'm an entrepreneur who is just obsessed with self balancing vehicles. Things at Ninebot didnt pan out as i had hoped,

Interesting!

Did you actually do engineering at Ninebot?

I just canceled the V10F because it seems to not be good for riders my weight of about 195. I'm now looking at the KS18L. What do you think?

BTW, good job heading to China. Definitely, the exciting place to be the next 50 years.

Marty, Yeah yeah... maybe i should change it to, "i typically wear my full face helmet". 

Comparing wheels to the Tesla and Z10? Basically the Tesla is my preferred urban cruiser and the Z10 would be my trophy-wheel. Performance-wise the Tesla is a lot more responsive and fun to ride. The Z10... is just aesthetics. 

Im thinking of doing another video thats not so specific, but more in the general "why i love unicycling" space. What'd you think? 

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Interesting!

Did you actually do engineering at Ninebot?

Yeah, im an EE and wannabe-ME. i built prototypes in their innovation lab and helped out with the testing of the Z10. 

1 minute ago, dw8928 said:

I just canceled the V10F because it seems to not be good for riders my weight of about 195. I'm now looking at the KS18L. What do you think?

BTW, good job heading to China. Definitely, the exciting place to be the next 50 years.

The V10F has the torque to easily handle 195lbs; im 170lbs and theres no lack of power. The main dissatisfaction you might have is the sluggish acceleration. I havent ridden the KS18L, but will report back when i do. 

8 hours ago, Arklag said:

The V10F has the torque to easily handle 195lbs; im 170lbs and theres no lack of power. The main dissatisfaction you might have is the sluggish acceleration. I havent ridden the KS18L, but will report back when i do. 

Have you seen all the ongoing recent discussion here about the V10F overloading issues with the heavier riders? That's what @dw8928 was referring to.

Sorry if this is stated somewhere (did a cursory search of ks16s and v10) but how would you compare the torque between the ks16s and v10f? I suppose if I extend your logic of the V8 seeming stronger off the line than the v10f, then the KS16S is probably zippier as well?

I see in  your video the wheel kicked you off during your acceleration test, which is disappointing. I'm thinking more and more to either get a KS16S (ideally 2nd hand, overpriced new right now IMO considering a new one is supposedly a few months away) or a tesla. I want the wheel to be both fun and practical in the urban metro's (and pretty looking :P)

Someone here said his V10F acceleration changed "like night and day" when he calibrated the pedals to be flat instead of slightly tilted forward as they come out of the box.  Did you do this as well for your wheel, Arklag? Maybe I need to find whoever posted that and inquire about their experience..

Edit: well I forgot some people did also consider the acceleration 'issue' fixed.. hard to keep the facts straight sometimes! Fixed doesn't really tell me much but if it launches like a 2kw motor reasonably should, minus maybe a smidge boost vs an equivalent gotway, I'm alright with that. 

Nice video, @Arklag. Subscribed! I’m a massive consumer of this type of videos. I can see you put a lot of effort into it. 

Would be nice to see a follow up video after the 2.2.7 firmware is released again. I had the exact same complaints as you have. But not anymore, the slow reaction is now better and you should be able to change that extreme alarm in sound customization. It’s just quite buggy still. I don’t know why InMotion isn’t fixing that default alarm. Everyone hates it. 

Also, the weight is 20.6 kg, not 24 kg. 

Thanks, looking forward to more videos. 

Its awesome to hear from you guys.

In response to your questions: 

1. Overloading with >200lbs - @Marty Backe @dw8928  I hadnt read about the overloading problem until afterwards. I still cant respond appropriately to this question. 
  2. KS16S vs V10F acceleration - @Glitched The KS16S is zippier off the line. In the city, im not sure which one id feel prefer... the faster acceleration of the KS16S vs the slightly faster 40 vs 35kph top speed of the V10F. 
  3. Forward tilting for faster acceleration - I havent done that yet, but i will give that a try next time im out. My firmware is v1.1.6 (im in China so whats available to me may be different)
  4. Incorrect weight - @UniVehje Thanks for informing me. i posted the correction in the video description. 

According to Inmotion, the overload problems are being worked on via firmware. Just wonder if the Amps and motor can sustain a 225 pound rider sufficiently to maintain control under high electron reqs such as accelerating rapidly under duress. Is a 2k Watt motor sufficient to consistently push up under a larger rider under stress?

14 hours ago, Arklag said:

1. KS16S vs V10F acceleration - @Glitched The KS16S is zippier off the line. In the city, im not sure which one id feel prefer... the faster acceleration of the KS16S vs the slightly faster 40 vs 35kph top speed of the V10F. 
  2. Forward tilting for faster acceleration - I havent done that yet, but i will give that a try next time im out. My firmware is v1.1.6 (im in China so whats available to me may be different)

Anyone with the latest beta firmware find the V10F zippier than the KS16S? or v8?? It's just unacceptable to me that the V10F accelerates slower or similar to cheaper 16" wheels with half (or even less) power. I have a request in for the V10F but may cancel if it's as slow or slower than the current 16"er's in the nanny category. ?

BTW I meant the opposite for #2 - tilt them slightly more backwards from their stock position. 

2 hours ago, dw8928 said:

According to Inmotion, the overload problems are being worked on via firmware. Just wonder if the Amps and motor can sustain a 225 pound rider sufficiently to maintain control under high electron reqs such as accelerating rapidly under duress. Is a 2k Watt motor sufficient to consistently push up under a larger rider under stress?

Where did you get that update from? I can't find it on here.. thanks!

i like ur helmet. is that the fox racing proframe? looks very well ventilated and great reviews on amazon. kinda pricey at $250 but i guess my noggin is worth it.

liked ur review, just saw it here. i actually posted it under the inmotion v10f topic, so ur covered. i’m running the same firmware as u i think, 1.6.1 or something like that, the original one that worked with ios. no luck yet changing settings etc with the android version. 

i found adjusting the angle of the pedals vastly changed the feel of acceleration and braking. i’ve not tried it, but on some wheels u can’t overlean from a standstill?

i thnk this wheel excels in the ergonomics consideration. it is my most comfortable, safe feeling wheel of my bunch.

2 hours ago, Glitched said:

Anyone with the latest beta firmware find the V10F zippier than the KS16S? or v8?? It's just unacceptable to me that the V10F accelerates slower or similar to cheaper 16" wheels with half (or even less) power. I have a request in for the V10F but may cancel if it's as slow or slower than the current 16"er's in the nanny category. ?

BTW I meant the opposite for #2 - tilt them slightly more backwards from their stock position. 

Where did you get that update from? I can't find it on here.. thanks!

I emailed Inmotion about the overload problem and that is what was said in reply:

"For the majority of riders, the V10F has been fine. The issues that have been reported to us, our team is currently working on addressing. I know that new firmware is currently being tested by our team and updates should be rolling out this month. "

@novazeusYeah, its a fox racing helmet. Its quite comfortable, very well ventilated, and looks cool. Thats ridiculous thinking your head isnt worth $250. A visit to the hospital wont be less than that and if it saves me from anything itll pay itself off at least 10x, probably 100x. 

42 minutes ago, Arklag said:

@novazeusYeah, its a fox racing helmet. Its quite comfortable, very well ventilated, and looks cool. Thats ridiculous thinking your head isnt worth $250. A visit to the hospital wont be less than that and if it saves me from anything itll pay itself off at least 10x, probably 100x. 

thanks for ur recommendation. 

yeah it looks like it might work for me even in this tampa heat.

ordered this. it’s worth $187.03.

https://www.sunandski.com/p/7755055471800/fox-proframe-mountain-bike-helmet

On 7/11/2018 at 12:11 AM, dw8928 said:

I keep hearing it overloads with someone about 200 pounds. 

2 hours ago, dw8928 said:

I emailed Inmotion about the overload problem and that is what was said in reply:

"For the majority of riders, the V10F has been fine. The issues that have been reported to us, our team is currently working on addressing. I know that new firmware is currently being tested by our team and updates should be rolling out this month. "

that 200 lb rider might have been me you've been hearing about. i've been testing the new 2.2.7 firmware and it still seems to have problems getting me up dirt hills. I get overloads at varying power levels and mainboard temperatures as apparently overloads have to do with heatsink temperatures which currently aren't reported on the app. But if dirt hills aren't your thing, the V10F is a great wheel for a 200 lbs rider. it will get up smooth hills mostly fine and is silky smooth doing it. Off road surfaces and uneven uphills require a lot of back and forth going between rocks with varying speeds so it will overheat the wheel faster. Over conservative overload warnings are bittersweet. One way to look at it is you will probably never burn out any components as it physically won't let you. On the other hand, they are just annoying! 

5 hours ago, Glitched said:

All the wheels accelerate as fast as needed to catch you from falling. I think the correct term is reactiveness or responsiveness. The original firmware needed a bit too much lean when starting from 0. It kind of reacted slowly untill started going fast. It behaved like 18” wheels in this regard. 

I think it’s about weight and large tire also. Fat and heavy tire will always require more energy to spin compared to a narrow tire. 14” wheels feel snappier than 16” wheels. Take a look at the Mten3 with 10” tire. It’s not only about watts. 

However, the V10F new firmware helped it feel more responsive. It still doesn’t feel like my old S2 with 14” tire and 500w motor. That still feels zippier when doing turns on a parking lot at slow speeds. This is a different category of a wheel. I haven’t tested many wheels but I have tested the 16S and I would say they are about the same now. I should do a better comparison to tell exactly. I haven’t tested the V8 ever. V10F is still probably not the zippiest 16” wheel but now it’s responsiveness doesn’t stand out anymore. But for this kind of wheel the ”fun zone” is at higher speeds. 

When I first got my V10F, I was confused and a bit disappointed by what I perceived as a lack of acceleration, too. After a week of riding it though, I think I got more confident with it, and now I actually find it accelerates pretty rapidly. I just had to get used to leaning forward a lot more than I'm used to with other wheels. (I am on the out-of-the-box firmware... 1.1.6 or 1.1.7 I think?)

I'm 205lbs, and I'd say I can get the V10F from 0 to 25mph in just under 3 seconds. It will go into overload and tilt me off the back slowly if I try to accelerate faster than that.

41 minutes ago, soulson said:

When I first got my V10F, I was confused and a bit disappointed by what I perceived as a lack of acceleration, too. After a week of riding it though, I think I got more confident with it, and now I actually find it accelerates pretty rapidly. I just had to get used to leaning forward a lot more than I'm used to with other wheels. (I am on the out-of-the-box firmware... 1.1.6 or 1.1.7 I think?)

I'm 205lbs, and I'd say I can get the V10F from 0 to 25mph in just under 3 seconds. It will go into overload and tilt me off the back slowly if I try to accelerate faster than that.

I'll be really interested in what happens, from your perspective, when the new firmware is released later this month.

Archived