KS16S & GW Tesla Comparison

Marcglider

5 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Busch Light solved the problem.... Thanks @Marty Backe

23 mph... smooth, quick, :cheers:

Doesn't it feel nice (and to me safe) to be able to cruise at 23mph, knowing that you had a lot of headroom left :thumbup: Unlike the wheels not to be named, where you are butting up against their upper limit.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EZhel said:

Now that is a criteria of EUC comparison I've never seen anywhere ever.

/TIL

13 mph is my moving average in my bicycle. That pisses off drivers, especially overweight middle age men of an ethnic pursusian that are enraged whenever they see non motorized traffic on their roads.

KS16s is about 16 mph, just enough to not terribly irritate drivers.

Cars average about 18 mph in my area.

My MSuper averages 26 mph. Now we're talking! For most of the time we can cruise between slow moving traffic, and we end up passing a great number of cars.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Doesn't it feel nice (and to me safe) to be able to cruise at 23mph, knowing that you had a lot of headroom left :thumbup: Unlike the wheels not to be named, where you are butting up against their upper limit.

That is EXACTLY why I bought this wheel and I have a MCM5 in the mail.... Honestly as of right now and it is way early, the handling characteristics and feel of the 16S and Tesla is not Hugely different, but speed and extra range  :thumbup: :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

13 mph is my moving average in my bicycle. That pisses off drivers, especially overweight middle age men of an ethnic pursusian that are enraged whenever they see non motorized traffic on their roads.

KS16s is about 16 mph, just enough to not terribly irritate drivers.

Cars average about 18 mph in my area.

My MSuper averages 26 mph. Now we're talking! For most of the time we can cruise between slow moving traffic, and we end up passing a great number of cars.

Remember when you wanted to throw the MSuper away :facepalm:

Maybe my MCM5 will change my mind when I get it but for a wheel to zip around town and have alot of fun on... The 16 inch wheels are it, at least for me right now... KS16, Tesla, v10F after they figure it out... all I know is I LOVE the 16" experience...

7 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

:o

@LanghamP might be the only person on the planet that received an MSuper that he did not order. It's not that they sent him the wrong order, but they sent him a wheel totally by mistake. Out of the blue. I can't remember how they got his name/address or if he ended up paying for any of it.

He despised it for the longest time. Very funny to watch the transformation over the months :D

23 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Maybe my MCM5 will change my mind when I get it but for a wheel to zip around town and have alot of fun on... The 16 inch wheels are it, at least for me right now... KS16, Tesla, v10F after they figure it out... all I know is I LOVE the 16" experience...

The MCM5 is a 14-inch Tesla. Be prepared.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@LanghamP might be the only person on the planet that received an MSuper that he did not order. It's not that they sent him the wrong order, but they sent him a wheel totally by mistake. Out of the blue. I can't remember how they got his name/address or if he ended up paying for any of it.

He despised it for the longest time. Very funny to watch the transformation over the months :D

Your BRUTAL... LOL

23 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I have a 16s and I’d really like to try a ACM 2 with the Tesla motor and 1600 wh of battery. I’m sorta considering that one. The Tesla doesn’t have enough of a battery boost to switch to from my 16s, which I do love by the way.

Love my ACM2, so smooth and fast with battery for days. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The MCM5 is a 14-inch Tesla. Be prepared.

I agree, the mcm5 is the “wheel of the year” in my book, it’s a snappy happy machine, tops the list (so far) for 2018

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSuper is quite mad, I think the Monster must be crazier still.

The KS16s is a great wheel until you ride the MSuper, and then you realise just how much the KS16S sucks.

Go big and go small, but a puny KS16s takes the low range, speed, and instability of the 14 inchers and combines it with the ponderousness of the 18 inchers.

2 hours ago, Adumb said:

Love my ACM2, so smooth and fast with battery for days. 

Doesn't the acm2 have super low pedals?

I'd vote for the acm5 over the KS16s.

Acm5 versus Tesla is the real question.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Doesn't the acm2 have super low pedals?

I'd vote for the acm5 over the KS16s.

Acm5 versus Tesla is the real question.

From owning and riding both the original ACM and now the ACM 2 I'd say the pedal height is the same on both and I have never had any issues with them catching. Watching one of Marty's videos it looks like the Tesla's pedals are only slightly higher than the ACM/ACM 2

Just now, TremF said:

From owning and riding both the original ACM and now the ACM 2 I'd say the pedal height is the same on both and I have never had any issues with them catching. Watching one of Marty's videos it looks like the tesla pedals are only slightly higher than the ACM/ACM 2

The Tesla pedals are 1/16-inch higher at the root of the pedal. But the Tesla pedal angle is 2-degrees more (8-degrees vs the ACM's 6-degrees), so the net effect is that the Tesla feels like the pedals are much higher.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Tesla pedals are 1/16-inch higher at the root of the pedal. But the Tesla pedal angle is 2-degrees more (8-degrees vs the ACM's 6-degrees), so the net effect is that the Tesla feels like the pedals are much higher.

The feel of the Tesla pedals is a HOME RUN for me.... I have never ridden an ACM, but the position, size, angle, height, the whole thing just feels great and more natural for me compared to my KS wheels... I have a 8.5 foot. I do scrape my 16S pedals when turning tight at slow speeds, I have not tried yet but I am sure that will be less with the extra height on the Tesla...

5 hours ago, TremF said:

From owning and riding both the original ACM and now the ACM 2 I'd say the pedal height is the same on both and I have never had any issues with them catching. Watching one of Marty's videos it looks like the Tesla's pedals are only slightly higher than the ACM/ACM 2

Same here and I ride all sorts of places including tons of mountain bike trails. So far only time pedals hit are when I don't see a big rock on the trail. I wear size 13 shoes and the pedals are near perfect size for me. 

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The KS16s is a great wheel until you ride the MSuper, and then you realise just how much the KS16S sucks.

I am not going to pass judgement on individuals opinions... I have my own and some may or may not agree... I just don't understand the total value of comparing different size wheels against each other... If I were to make a comment about my 16S VS my 18S , I don't see much correlation between the two. When I get my MCM5, I may make comments about similarities with the Tesla, but I plan on keeping my comparisons with my KS 14, and other 14 wheels...

MSuper comparisons belong with KS 18's, Z10, MSX, etc....  Obviously just my opinion... 

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

I am not going to pass judgement on individuals opinions... I have my own and some may or may not agree... I just don't understand the total value of comparing different size wheels against each other... If I were to make a comment about my 16S VS my 18S , I don't see much correlation between the two. When I get my MCM5, I may make comments about similarities with the Tesla, but I plan on keeping my comparisons with my KS 14, and other 14 wheels...

MSuper comparisons belong with KS 18's, Z10, MSX, etc....  Obviously just my opinion... 

Comparing different size wheels is the first thing you should do. Comparing same size wheels is the last thing.

Example:

Q1: should I buy/use a 10, 14, 16, 18, or 22 inch wheel? Answer: a 14 you can move around on the bus but a 22 is wonderful for cruising long distances and blah blah blah...

Q2: which 18 inch wheel should I buy?

Answer: brand x which is better than all.

<Gets brand x wheel, realises he lives on the 5th floor of an apartment.

Comparisons of wheels of different sizes is valid because they work so differently. Same size wheel comparisons mostly come down to battery size.

Interestingly, the prices aren't that much different between different size wheels (except the Monster).

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Same size wheel comparisons mostly come down to battery size.

I am not so sure that I will agree with that statement when my MCM5 comes and I compare it to my 14D... like 12mph difference to start...

Saying the "16S SUCKS" (your words) now that you rode the MSuper is like me saying my  My new CAMARO is a piece of shit because I just drove the new CORVETTE...:confused1:

23 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I am not so sure that I will agree with that statement when my MCM5 comes and I compare it to my 14D... like 12mph difference to start...

Saying the "16S SUCKS" (your words) now that you rode the MSuper is like me saying my  My new CAMARO is a piece of shit because I just drove the new CORVETTE...:confused1:

I agree. The battery size is the last thing to compare between wheels of the same size. There's a huge difference in the various 14-inch wheels out there. Same with the 16-inch wheels.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. The battery size is the last thing to compare between wheels of the same size. There's a huge difference in the various 14-inch wheels out there. Same with the 16-inch wheels.

-Nice to know you have my "BACKE"...  :roflmao:

Just put 17 miles on the Tesla.... No Drama or issues, I got it up to 25.1 mph, Felt solid but my Balls aren't big enough yet to ride at that speed for any distance right now... I am used to my 16S as I always ride that at 20mph and it is very comfortable, I suppose because this is new for me, the Tesla is comfortable at 15-17 mph. I guess this will increase over time even though the wheel feels solid and I have yet to get even the slightest wobble. Riding backwards is smooth and easy, the transition (pendulums) seems a bit more solid and easy compared to the 16S, could be the pedal height difference? I tried the riding mode in sport (hard) and Hated it... medium feels perfect for me as was recommended by Hunka.

So I guess my overall view right now is both wheels seem very very close in the way they ride, I am giving an edge to the Tesla for a few reasons I posted above and yesterday, but that is personal preference...

Confirming all my initial conclusions from this forum prior to my purchase, the KS wheels are much better build quality... the GW wheels have a Definite performance advantage. If noise is an issue, the GW is nearly silent. I do not have enough time on the wheel but I am counting on the old "reputation" some continue to bring up regarding safety issues has been resolved in the new wheels. Lastly the app is a pleasant bonus for the GW as compared to the KS...

Archived