KS16S & GW Tesla Comparison

Marcglider

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Chess match. Never heard that expression but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean in this context (thermals, right?). That was always the challenge of course - how long could you stay up.

Yeah... Most of the flying on the West coast is "ridge lift"... if the wind is blowing in the right direction and you stay in the lift zone, you will stay up, not much skill or drama, just need to watch out for traffic mostly paragliders these days... When I fly and I release off tow, I need to find lift or I am going to land quick... clouds, birds, dust devils, trash blowing in the air, smoke, etc. are all clues to help me find lift, add to that going in the direction of my goal, staying out of "commercial air space", small airplanes (if I fly over Disney, I will be arrested, which is close), safe landing zones if I get low hopefully with a road to get picked up (more stories), all this is mentally draining and takes an enormous amount of mental energy and may be the reason I cant just relax and actually enjoy "the feeling of flying like a bird"... now that I just wrote this, zipping around at high speed on my wheels and all I need to concentrate on is not hitting anything like potholes or curbs, or getting hit by a car seems somewhat relaxing... LOL:roflmao:                 about 3 hours till the eagle (Tesla) lands...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s certainly interesting that you guys fly hang gliders. I’ve been flying paragliders since 1997. I used to be so much more active, flying several sites all around the world. You could show up at a mountain in Brazil, Chile, Taiwan.. anywhere  in the world and have instant friends, fabulous views, and an amazing experience. As years move on I’ve graduated to ridge soaring in Monterey and other chill sites where it’s more relaxing. I’m sure we have flown most of the same sites Marty in California.!

Now this wheel addiction seems to have taken over, it obviously satisfies some of the same feeling as free flying..

cheers, 

mark

3 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Yeah... Most of the flying on the West coast is "ridge lift"... if the wind is blowing in the right direction and you stay in the lift zone, you will stay up, not much skill or drama, just need to watch out for traffic mostly paragliders these days... When I fly and I release off tow, I need to find lift or I am going to land quick... clouds, birds, dust devils, trash blowing in the air, smoke, etc. are all clues to help me find lift, add to that going in the direction of my goal, staying out of "commercial air space", small airplanes (if I fly over Disney, I will be arrested, which is close), safe landing zones if I get low hopefully with a road to get picked up (more stories), all this is mentally draining and takes an enormous amount of mental energy and may be the reason I cant just relax and actually enjoy "the feeling of flying like a bird"... now that I just wrote this, zipping around at high speed on my wheels and all I need to concentrate on is not hitting anything like potholes or curbs, or getting hit by a car seems somewhat relaxing... LOL:roflmao:                 about 3 hours till the eagle (Tesla) lands...

The majority of my flying involving hunting thermals, but of course I had an advantage here over Florida in that I could predict where many thermals were based on the geography of the mountain ridges. Buy yeah, if I was ever flying literally on the "West Coast", it would be ridge lift flying.

3 hours ago, Marcglider said:

@Mrd777 you have Elenville about 2 hours north of NYC if you are still there (your profile says NYC):)

Yes, well aware. I learned in Ellenville, great place to fly, and also get parked in high winds mid day.. Its a  beautiful place to fly,  but better for hang gliding.. The glass-offs can be incredible, sometimes hard to get down. Yes I live in NYC

When comparing KS16S to anything, one thing to be noted is that there is a stock KS16S, one of the most successful EUCs ever made in sum of all its qualities, and there is a KS16S with a fast charger (5-7 amps) and 2.5" tire mod. Fast charger changes your riding experience drastically, 2.5" tire also expands ks16s' capabilities, allowing you to ride comfortably on different surfaces.

Speed is where Tesla shines. Reliability is what KS16S is famous for, while it isn't a slow wheel either.

Tesla got a set of improvements since launch, so be sure to get a wheel, produced this year, as fresh as possible.

OK... the Wheel just came 1/2 hour ago... I will refocus on the the wheels and save the Hang Gliding chatter for somewhere else...

I opened the box, all is good... I took @Hunka Hunka Burning Love advice and removed the side covers to see if there were any issues... all looked fine, there was an extra sticky backed clamp/tie for the battery wire just laying in there... it seemed to be an extra, not just in there uninstalled... I slimed the tire and it is charging now, I plan on putting a full charge on the batteries initially and will ride it later for the first time...

I now understand why people who compare GW to KS take issue with the build quality of the shells, Tesla shell is definitely more flimsy than my 16S especially on the skirt/trim piece just below the pedals. I am not disappointed at the quality, but if you are going to make a comparison, the reputation posted by others is true and correct regarding this.

I also see the issue people have with the small screws and no metal sleeves where they get threaded in... I think if you are careful not to over tighten these, it should not be a problem... I do like the fact that it is quick and only 4 screws to access the battery... I have not opened up my 16S, but I did on my 14D which is identical, and it took quite a long time and many screws and pads need to be removed.

2 hours ago, EZhel said:

Tesla got a set of improvements since launch, so be sure to get a wheel, produced this year, as fresh as possible.

What improvements are these? I just received a Tesla a few days ago from eWheels; ordered it a few weeks ago, and the inspection date says 2017 11-17

Thicker axle and wiring, crimped connectors and thermal sleeves up the wazoo.  They might have either doped the copper motor coils or tweaked the PWM frequency (I think the former) to get the motor quieter.  Fan cooling with top mounted control board with large tray like heat sink.  And blinky ring lights!  :w00t2:  Integrated trolley handle.   I think that's it?

Be sure to set up your alarms and tiltback if you want appropriately, and go zooming!  It is so crazy fast.  Just don't overdo it.  :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Meelosh123 said:

What improvements are these? I just received a Tesla a few days ago from eWheels; ordered it a few weeks ago, and the inspection date says 2017 11-17

Don't worry. But you are right in asking the question. When someone says, "Tesla got a set of improvements", you should ask for specifics. Otherwise it's a bunch of hand-waving.

Except for some minor cosmetic changes, the only 'safety' related change that Gotway made from the initial batch is a modification to the interior side of the side panels. Some spacer tabs were added to keep the side panel from pressing against the cabling coming out of the axle. A preventive measure.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thicker axle and wiring, crimped connectors and thermal sleeves up the wazoo.  They might have either doped the copper motor coils or tweaked the PWM frequency (I think the former) to get the motor quieter.  Fan cooling with top mounted control board with large tray like heat sink.  And blinky ring lights!  :w00t2:  Integrated trolley handle.   I think that's it?

Not true. @Meelosh123 is asking about 'rumored' improvements to the Tesla. There have been no changes to the Tesla other than what I just posted above.

They also incorporated little air hole vents under the light I think.  Mine doesn't have those, but I think they let air in, but trap water out somehow rather than have no venting.  I haven't had any overheat issues, but I don't climb mountains so I don't know why they felt that was needed.  Someone probably mentioned it so they put them in.  I love riding my Telsa that I don't even ride my beloved Ninebot One E+ any more.  I still take it to get the mail every now and then as it's 25 lbs versus like 47 lbs?

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if the additional side light effects settings are an improvement, but it's good to have options.

Despite having more than 2500 miles on my ks16s, I'm not all that fond of it mostly because it is still a sidewalk surfer.

You can sort of ride it on the street but it is still closer to pedestrian than to motorized scooter.

The Tesla is probably averaging 26 mph which makes a lot of difference when riding between autos. I'd advise the Tesla.

58 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

which makes a lot of difference when riding between autos

Now that is a criteria of EUC comparison I've never seen anywhere ever.

/TIL

OK... I took my 16S for a 10 mile ride and then took out my Tesla for a 6 mile ride (first ride)... No Drama, face plants, failures, etc... like some would lead you to think reading some posts in the past...

The handling seems "more sporty" kind of like having tighter rack and pinion of a sports car. It also feels more nimble and lighter. This wheel is actually heavier than the 16S... my initial conclusion is that it feels this way because the center of gravity may be lower and/or possibly because the pedals are roughly an inch higher, what ever it is it feels good, I like it. The next thing is the noise, there is none. I am used to the slight whine of my KS wheels, especially the 18S... this has like None, I am used to my Ks's so it is not a big deal, just something I noticed. Pedals feel nice and big for me, the dihedral is nice, I will need to get used to the upper pad on my calf, but not a big deal and not like the super I rode last Sunday which was actually a bit painful for me in the same area. The pedals dip slightly when turning, a little less than my 16S... I prefer less to no dipping... my 14D is really annoying as it dips quite alot and I have been unable to calibrate it out. 

The app I am using is the GW non-social @Marty Backe recommended.. it is such a pleasure compared to the KS app... I am on Android. 

I need a little help/ advice... I set the first 2 alarms off on this app and set the tiltback to 45kmh. I was able to get to 20.9 mph and the alarms were beeping. Can someone help me to set this up so I can get this to turn off... This app allows "disable First Alarm", "Disable Second Alarm", "Open Alarms", and "Tilt Back Setting". When I hit open alarms, it does not allow me to set anything, and even when I confirm disable 1 and 2 alarms, I couldn't go faster than 20.9 mph... Do I need another app to set this?... I am under the impression there is no distance I need to go before unlocking like KS... Please Help....

Other than that... I like it, more to come...:thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

OK... I took my 16S for a 10 mile ride and then took out my Tesla for a 6 mile ride (first ride)... No Drama, face plants, failures, etc... like some would lead you to think reading some posts in the past...

The handling seems "more sporty" kind of like having tighter rack and pinion of a sports car. It also feels more nimble and lighter. This wheel is actually heavier than the 16S... my initial conclusion is that it feels this way because the center of gravity may be lower and/or possibly because the pedals are roughly an inch higher, what ever it is it feels good, I like it. The next thing is the noise, there is none. I am used to the slight whine of my KS wheels, especially the 18S... this has like None, I am used to my Ks's so it is not a big deal, just something I noticed. Pedals feel nice and big for me, the dihedral is nice, I will need to get used to the upper pad on my calf, but not a big deal and not like the super I rode last Sunday which was actually a bit painful for me in the same area. The pedals dip slightly when turning, a little less than my 16S... I prefer less to no dipping... my 14D is really annoying as it dips quite alot and I have been unable to calibrate it out. 

The app I am using is the GW non-social @Marty Backe recommended.. it is such a pleasure compared to the KS app... I am on Android. 

I need a little help/ advice... I set the first 2 alarms off on this app and set the tiltback to 45kmh. I was able to get to 20.9 mph and the alarms were beeping. Can someone help me to set this up so I can get this to turn off... This app allows "disable First Alarm", "Disable Second Alarm", "Open Alarms", and "Tilt Back Setting". When I hit open alarms, it does not allow me to set anything, and even when I confirm disable 1 and 2 alarms, I couldn't go faster than 20.9 mph... Do I need another app to set this?... I am under the impression there is no distance I need to go before unlocking like KS... Please Help....

Other than that... I like it, more to come...:thumbup:

Looking good so far. Could take a week or so before your legs adjust to the new pressure point from those pads up high on the shell.

For the app. When you click "Open Alarms", that actually re-enables all of the alarms. Very intuitive don't you think :facepalm:

So click the first two Disable Alarms and then stop.

The tilt-back should work fine. Are you saying tilt-back was preventing you from going faster than 20.9mph?

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The tilt-back should work fine. Are you saying tilt-back was preventing you from going faster than 20.9mph?

No, I did not get any tilt back, when I get to 19 mph, it beeps once then by 20+ it is beeping 3 times... Maybe I need to stop, push disable able alarms, then restart app??? I can start from scratch now and try??

Just want to turn off alarms, or maybe set an alarm so that it beeps 2 mph before the tiltback I set down the road... I read others were doing this but this app does not appear to allow that, or maybe I misread info??

2 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Just want to turn off alarms, or maybe set an alarm so that it beeps 2 mph before the tiltback I set down the road... I read others were doing this but this app does not appear to allow that, or maybe I misread info??

Like I said, Click the Disable 1st alarm, then the Disable 2nd alarm. Then stop. Only the 3rd alarm will sound which you may never hear because of the wind noise at 30mph :w00t2:

You cannot set custom speed alarms.

You can buy a Pebble Watch and set a custom speed there, or use WheelLog and have it (your phone) buzz you at the specified speed.

11 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

No, I did not get any tilt back, when I get to 19 mph, it beeps once then by 20+ it is beeping 3 times... Maybe I need to stop, push disable able alarms, then restart app??? I can start from scratch now and try??

Your wheel must be stopped for any app changes to take effect. You don't need to restart the app or restart the wheel.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Like I said, Click the Disable 1st alarm, then the Disable 2nd alarm. Then stop. Only the 3rd alarm will sound which you may never hear because of the wind noise at 30mph :w00t2:

You cannot set custom speed alarms.

You can buy a Pebble Watch and set a custom speed there, or use WheelLog and have it (your phone) buzz you at the specified speed.

I have a pebble but I do not see where to set that stuff up like the vibrate you have done... anyway I will disable the alarms and try it again in a few minutes after I finish my beer... LOL 

Your wheel must be stopped for any app changes to take effect. You don't need to restart the app or restart the wheel.

AAAHHHH... guess this beer break will solve all my problems... LOL

Just now, Marcglider said:

I have a pebble but I do not see where to set that stuff up like the vibrate you have done... anyway I will disable the alarms and try it again in a few minutes after I finish my beer... LOL 

I don't have time now to give a Pebble/WheelLog tutorial, but I know that I've explained it ad nauseum in this Forum :D Others have too. Do some Forum diving to find the discussions.

I don't have time now to give a Pebble/WheelLog tutorial, but I know that I've explained it ad nauseum in this Forum :D Others have too. Do some Forum diving to find the discussions.

will do thanks, I have/use both... 

Archived