KS16S & GW Tesla Comparison

Marcglider

5 Months ago I purchased a KS 16S and currently have 1000 KM on it. I have a 14D and a 18S also but my favorite has become the 16" size. I love the wheel but there are a few things I do not like and have been looking to purchase another wheel to get the additional performance I want. After watching many videos and reading many posts, as well as filtering through Bias posts and Gotway Haters, I have a new Tesla coming tomorrow. 

There are many people looking for and deciding about the 18" wheels coming out like the Z10 ,the 18L, and the MSuper X. I am starting this thread for the people like me who really want a 16" wheel and want to get honest un-bias opinions and information so they can make educated decisions and not be disappointed or surprised when they make those decisions and purchases.  

There is a lot of chatter about issues with the new V10F, I do not have one, not interested in getting one at the moment. I will let that wheel evolve to whatever it will on its own with the current owners. Since I have a decent amount of experience with the KS, It will help as I begin to get familiar with the Tesla and I can give good honest assessments and comparisons to readers here... Note: I am not interested in doing or posting videos :) More to Come...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 16s and I’d really like to try a ACM 2 with the Tesla motor and 1600 wh of battery. I’m sorta considering that one. The Tesla doesn’t have enough of a battery boost to switch to from my 16s, which I do love by the way.

My hope is that Ninebot will do a 16" version of the Z series.  Not holding my breath, and I suspect I'd still go for the 18" even if they did, but I'd like to see the wide/tubeless tire in a city wheel.  Was hoping the V10F might adopt that design feature, but no luck.  

I originally was going to get one of those also (in BLUE)... but I have decided that for the riding I do, the sporty speedy Tesla (I hope) will satisfy my needs and my distance wheel will be my 18S, but I completely understand and agree with your thoughts if range is the priority... I will say that I rode a GW Msuper last Sunday and the wide case was very uncomfortable initially, not to say I wouldn't get used to it over time

1 minute ago, mezzanine said:

My hope is that Ninebot will do a 16" version of the Z series.  Not holding my breath, and I suspect I'd still go for the 18" even if they did, but I'd like to see the wide/tubeless tire in a city wheel.  Was hoping the V10F might adopt that design feature, but no luck.  

part of the issue is when new stuff comes out, the growing pains can be painful... just go on the V10F thread and see that small nightmare... I keep getting pop up ads with the GT16 on my yahoo page... I like the look of the wheel but I am not even going there:efeeab781c:

I haven't tried a larger tire as my Ninebot One E+ was 16" like my Tesla, but I think you will be happy with it.  How much do you weigh?  With Florida's flat lands, there should be plenty of spots to spool it up to speed.  The only drawback might be that it only has a 1020 Wh battery.  My usual run is 19 km, and I was able to do two of them and have 30% remaining on a single charge with a week break between them so I'm guessing it's a 50-60 km or more if you go slower wheel for my weight and riding conditions (some moderate hills, sidewalks, some roads).

I've got mine set on medium pedal mode, first two alarms off, third alarm at 48 kph, tiltback at 48 kph I think.  The app isn't that clear, and I've never felt the tiltback yet even though I've hit 49 kph.  I've got to set it lower to see how it feels.  So far I've got 575 kms total on it without a hitch, and it seems as reliable as my Ninebot.  I haven't ever crashed it yet though so knock on wood.  I hear the plastic shiny front and rear fenders pop off pretty easily.  I did have to add some tape to some exposed battery wire that was sliced open from the sharp edge on the blue battery pack so it may be wise to open it up to take a look.  Be careful though with the small wood screws :rolleyes:.  Hopefully in the Telsa V2 they will adopt MSuper X type brass inserts and machine screws.

One thing though is that my calves hated the top edge of the Tesla for the longest time.  I had to buy calf protective velcro covers to wear under my pants when riding.  I know with Florida and the heat this might not be feasible.  Marty has no problems with his so it could be my shorter stature at 5'8" with bulgy legs that works against me.  I think I could probably ride without them now that I've adapted to the shape, but I still wear them anyways.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I haven't tried a larger tire as my Ninebot One E+ was 16" like my Tesla, but I think you will be happy with it.  How much do you weigh?  With Florida's flat lands, there should be plenty of spots to spool it up to speed.  The only drawback might be that it only has a 1020 Wh battery.  My usual run is 19 km, and I was able to do two of them and have 30% remaining on a single charge with a week break between them so I'm guessing it's a 50-60 km or more if you go slower wheel for my weight and riding conditions (some moderate hills, sidewalks, some roads).

I've got mine set on medium pedal mode, first two alarms off, third alarm at 48 kph, tiltback at 48 kph I think.  The app isn't that clear, and I've never felt the tiltback yet even though I've hit 49 kph.  I've got to set it lower to see how it feels.  So far I've got 575 kms total on it without a hitch, and it seems as reliable as my Ninebot.  I haven't ever crashed it yet though so knock on wood.  I hear the plastic shiny front and rear fenders pop off pretty easily.  I did have to add some tape to some exposed battery wire that was sliced open from the sharp edge on the blue battery pack so it may be wise to open it up to take a look.  Be careful though with the small wood screws :rolleyes:.  Hopefully in the Telsa V2 they will adopt MSuper X type brass fittings and machine screws.

One thing though is that my calves hated the top edge of the Tesla for the longest time.  I had to buy calf protective velcro covers to wear under my pants when riding.  I know with Florida and the heat this might not be feasible.  Marty has no problems with his so it could be my shorter stature at 5'8" with bulgy legs that works against me.  I think I could probably ride without them now that I've adapted to the shape, but I still wear them anyways.

I am 5'6 175... I did a 26 mile ride last Saturday with @JES and I was left with I think 26% battery, and it just started slightly throttling back like 2 mph at 30% so I was happy... The small extra battery of the Tesla should be a little better If I dont go crazy with the speed, ... It is flat here and I love zipping around the roads and a park near by so I think it will be just what I am looking for... I wasn't going to pull the trigger on this till my MCM5 got here because I think that may end up my go to fun wheel possibly, but what the hell, another $1500 bucks... Its all good, all my wheels together with my new Rav4 still cost less than my New Hang Glider... :facepalm: 

After trying the M Super, I think the narrow wheels feel more comfortable for my body type so I will see... I guess I will get a first hand look at the real quality differences with the KS and GW... the unfortunate reality is that if I could tweak the performance of my 16S a bit, I wouldn't be looking for another brand wheel...

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I have a 16s and I’d really like to try a ACM 2 with the Tesla motor and 1600 wh of battery. I’m sorta considering that one. The Tesla doesn’t have enough of a battery boost to switch to from my 16s, which I do love by the way.

ACM2 is by far my favorite wheel, as I increase my stable of wheels I have something to compare.  Other day I've rode MCM5 and ACM2 back to back. Stability, smoothness (I know this is over used word but you will notice it right away), and quality of ride you get from ACM2 is quite amazing.  MCM5 felt very light and quality of ride is not there compare to ACM2.  Only if MSX will dethrone ACM2 as my favorite wheel I would be one happy camper.  Once you get used to 1600 wh you will never look back.  It's as if ACM2 has no limit on battery for me, it's simply AWSOME.

4 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

ACM2 is by far my favorite wheel, as I increase my stable of wheels I have something to compare.  Other day I've rode MCM5 and ACM2 back to back and the stability, smoothness (I know this is over used word but you will notice it right away), and quality of ride you get from ACM2 is quite amazing.  MCM5 felt very light and quality of ride is not there compare to ACM2.  Only if MSX will dethrone ACM2 as my favorite wheel I would be one happy camper.  Once you get used to 1600 wh you will never look back.  It's as if ACM2 has no limit on battery for me, it's simply AWSOME.

Hey Mark... I think "STABLE" is the key thing here.... you are comparing a MCM5 (14"), ACM (16"), and a MSX (18")... quite different rides and feel... that's why I will have 5 wheels and marty's 8 wheels is not so Insane... LOL

Main thing also is Range and Terrain you mostly ride...

4 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey Mark... I think "STABLE" is the key thing here.... you are comparing a MCM5 (14"), ACM (16"), and a MSX (18")... quite different rides and feel... that's why I will have 5 wheels and marty's 8 wheels is not so Insane... LOL

Main thing also is Range and Terrain you mostly ride...

All my life when I like something I like to have more options.  That's why I have 3 motorcycles, two cars and 4 wheel drive pickup truck.  Don't even get me started on the bang sticks... :laughbounce2:

p.s. when are you getting Mten3?

Just now, Mark Lee said:

All my life when I like something I like to have more options.  That's why I have 3 motorcycles, two cars and 4 wheel drive pickup truck.  Don't even get me started on the bang sticks... :laughbounce2:

BANG STICKS?????  Maybe someone should have used a bang stick on me before I spent over 30 G's for a Hang Glider (actually it is freakin awesome, these wheels are just a great distraction for the summer as the weather is shit for flying here in FL)... :D 

Just now, Marcglider said:

BANG STICKS?????  Maybe someone should have used a bang stick on me before I spent over 30 G's for a Hang Glider (actually it is freakin awesome, these wheels are just a great distraction for the summer as the weather is shit for flying here in FL)... :D 

I've entertained the idea of Hang Glider for some time but don't know anyone around me who is into it.  Maybe once I retire and have more time, it's in back of my mind for sure.  There are some great areas around here for it.  Still don't know on Hang Glider vs Sail plane...

Just now, Mark Lee said:

I've entertained the idea of Hang Glider for some time but don't know anyone around me who is into it.  Maybe once I retire and have more time, it's in back of my mind for sure.  There are some great areas around here for it.  Still don't know on Hang Glider vs Sail plane...

Look up AIR ATOS VQ Race... it has a 45 ft wingspan and as good performance as a sailplane...

13 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

30 G's for a "Hang Glider"? Surely this must be some kind of powered wing?

I was addicted to flying hang gliders in the mid 80's thru mid 90's. I flew Wills Wing models. I'm trying to remember, but I think I spent ~$3500 on my last new one, in ~1987 I was wondering how much a quality wing goes for now.

I had about 250-hours of flying time when I stopped flying. This was foot launched free-flight, all around the mountains of Southern California.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

30 G's for a "Hang Glider"? Surely this must be some kind of powered wing?

I was addicted to flying hang gliders in the mid 80's thru mid 90's. I flew Wills Wing models. I'm trying to remember, but I think I spent ~$3500 on my last new one, in ~1987 I was wondering how much a quality wing goes for now.

I had about 250-hours of flying time when I stopped flying. This was foot launched free-flight, all around the mountains of Southern California.

wills wing is still in business, they just put on a thing here in florida in April... their sport 3 is about $6500... My wing is called a Rigid Wing, not powered and yes over 30 Grand...

I aero-tow at a flight park in Orlando... Wallaby Ranch.. not mountains here

17 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

wills wing is still in business, they just put on a thing here in florida in April... their sport 3 is about $6500... My wing is called a Rigid Wing, not powered and yes over 30 Grand...

I aero-tow at a flight park in Orlando... Wallaby Ranch.. not mountains here

My last wing was a Sport 167. I guess that price isn't too bad for 30-years later.

I also flew a Fledge III, probably before your time. It had an impressive glide ratio for the day. This isn't my picture, but mine was very similar.

fledge-2_id609p4.jpg

I was a Hang IV - don't know if they still use that rather funny rating system :D

So very cool. I can totally relate to your other passion :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was a Hang IV - don't know if they still use that rather funny rating system :D

So very cool. I can totally relate to your other passion :cheers:

yes, I am a hang 4... just a number... that thing looks scary... I actually started in 80 in Colorado, I had a wills wing Raven till I nose dived into Green Mt in Golden...:mellow: longest flight just over 100 miles in a comp in Big Spring Texas a few years ago... got up to 12,000 feet that flight also...

1 minute ago, Marcglider said:

yes, I am a hang 4... just a number... that thing looks scary... I actually started in 80 in Colorado, I had a wills wing Raven till I nose dived into Green Mt in Golden...:mellow: longest flight just over 100 miles in a comp in Big Spring Texas a few years ago... got up to 12,000 feet that flight also...

Man, OK, you've got me beat for sure. Impressive that you stayed in the game (hang gliding) so long.

I'm relating to everything you're saying. Believe it or not, I actually had a Raven too - remember that it was a very tail heavy wing, but a rather classic design.

I was never a cross-country flyer. My highest flight was 15,000-feet (awesome thermals that day) and longest duration flight about 5-hours.

I better stop talking about them or I'll start contemplating options... :D

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Man, OK, you've got me beat for sure. Impressive that you stayed in the game (hang gliding) so long.

I'm relating to everything you're saying. Believe it or not, I actually had a Raven too - remember that it was a very tail heavy wing, but a rather classic design.

I was never a cross-country flyer. My highest flight was 15,000-feet (awesome thermals that day) and longest duration flight about 5-hours.

I better stop talking about them or I'll start contemplating options... :D

sounds like U got me beat... actually I got out of it after my crash till like 2000... I was on my computer and for some reason I googled hang gliding... Wallaby Ranch came up in Orlando... My thoughts were "there's no mountains in Florida"... went there, found out about aero towing... started over from scratch for about 10 years... 7 gliders, and got out, just focused on work and trying to retire... just bought that new glider 5 months ago... here we go again... I love it... there are 2 types of pilots, 1 that love to fly because they like the feeling of flight, and others like the challenge, that's me, I want to go distance and I have to figure it out, either find the lift or find somewhere safe to land and get a ride... the story of landing in a field with a bunch of crazy cows will wait... maybe I will take a road trip to the ride in Vegas and tell them there if you are going...:cheers:

22 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

sounds like U got me beat... actually I got out of it after my crash till like 2000... I was on my computer and for some reason I googled hang gliding... Wallaby Ranch came up in Orlando... My thoughts were "there's no mountains in Florida"... went there, found out about aero towing... started over from scratch for about 10 years... 7 gliders, and got out, just focused on work and trying to retire... just bought that new glider 5 months ago... here we go again... I love it... there are 2 types of pilots, 1 that love to fly because they like the feeling of flight, and others like the challenge, that's me, I want to go distance and I have to figure it out, either find the lift or find somewhere safe to land and get a ride... the story of landing in a field with a bunch of crazy cows will wait... maybe I will take a road trip to the ride in Vegas and tell them there if you are going...:cheers:

So funny - you quit 2-times :lol:

I quit a few years after getting married, and I don't think I could put my wife through worrying about me if I took it up again :( But I'm OK with that - I've got the memories. The wheel is what gives me the freedom now.

I'm almost positive that I'm going to do Las Vegas, but haven't firmed it up yet. I need to do that in the next week or so.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So funny - you quit 2-times :lol:

I quit a few years after getting married, and I don't think I could put my wife through worrying about me if I took it up again :( But I'm OK with that - I've got the memories. The wheel is what gives me the freedom now.

I'm almost positive that I'm going to do Las Vegas, but haven't firmed it up yet. I need to do that in the next week or so.

That's just how my friend put it when he saw me riding an ewheel for the first time. That it looked very freeing.  I guess some people yearn for that sense of freedom more than others. Or is freedom another way of saying adrenaline junkie. ?

Also seems there's some passive correlation between people that ewheel and hang glide. The random old dude I met in a park on my first time trying to ewheel spoke of his past pursuits hang gliding and several other dare devil activities he used to partake in. 

It wasn't I that derailed this thread, just for the record! ?

1 minute ago, Glitched said:

The random old dude I met in a park on my first time trying to ewheel spoke of his past pursuits hang gliding and several other dare devil activities he used to partake in. 

What I find kind of interesting is most people think hang gliding is an adrenaline rush or something extreme or dare devil... if you fly in good weather, it is just the opposite, it is relaxing and quiet... the "chess match" is the real challenge... it is like going into a fight knowing you are going to loose... GUARANTEED 100% of the time!!!! you can prolong staying up, you can go far, but GRAVITY will win EVERY TIME... you will land and it will end... Period!  I suppose sky diving is an adrenaline rush, but I never had the desire to try it...

9 minutes ago, Glitched said:

It wasn't I that derailed this thread, just for the record! ?

Just killing time BS'ing with Marty till my Tesla comes in, in about 12 hours, then I will get it back on track...:whistling:

48 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

What I find kind of interesting is most people think hang gliding is an adrenaline rush or something extreme or dare devil... if you fly in good weather, it is just the opposite, it is relaxing and quiet... the "chess match" is the real challenge... it is like going into a fight knowing you are going to loose... GUARANTEED 100% of the time!!!! you can prolong staying up, you can go far, but GRAVITY will win EVERY TIME... you will land and it will end... Period!  I suppose sky diving is an adrenaline rush, but I never had the desire to try it...

Chess match. Never heard that expression but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean in this context (thermals, right?). That was always the challenge of course - how long could you stay up.

Archived