Gotway Msuper X 1600Wh, first day

mrelwood

On 7/11/2018 at 2:46 AM, mrelwood said:

But there is one severe issue I wasn't able to prepare for. It truly baffled me, and it prevents me from riding for more than a few kilometers at a time. It's the sideways (dihedral?) angle of the pedals

The angle of pedals is easy to fix by removing a bit of metal on pillars at the place where opened pedal presses them - with grinding machine or manually with a file (rasp?) and a bit of patience. One owner in my country did that, says it's more comfortable now, his photo below:

photo_2018-07-10_20-18-19.thumb.jpg.4e7077389bede3717b1e19aee5eb13ab.jpg

p.s. ah you've fixed yours already, cool. I'm receiving my MSuperX this saturday, gonna do the same mod.

Edited by EZhel
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I disliked the extra play in component tolerances, not the mechanism itself. I don’t want something I use several times every day to make extra noise and feel cheap or worn out. But I already fixed it:

So far it hasn’t reconnected at app launch, wether if I quit DarknessBot first or if I didn’t even launch DB first.

I’m certain it is not DB’s intention to reset anything. But so far if I disable 1st and 2nd alarms in the Gotway app and connect with DB, I get an alarm at 35km/h. I don’t know if I would’ve gotten the tilt-back.

Once after connecting to DB (and not even opening the settings) I got the tilt-back at about 10km/h. (What would’ve happened if I had connected at speed?!) DB was not able to change it, had to do it in Gotway.

I guess this could be an issue with the Msuper X batch 2 firmware, that it resets settings when any connection is made. I will have to test this on a bench, I have to know if I have the alarm and tilt-back settings I want.

Gotway wheels do not accept app commands other than the lights or beeper if the wheel is in motion, so you're safe.

I still don't think the wheel is randomly making changes, but it's your app.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3

You need Android to set the setting permanently on GW.  At least that was my experience with my Msuper.  It didn't work with iOS.  You can set it in iOS, but it would never stay.

42 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

You need Android to set the setting permanently on GW.  At least that was my experience with my Msuper.  It didn't work with iOS.  You can set it in iOS, but it would never stay.

This is not my experience.  I’ve used iOS with all my past Gotway wheels and the setting has held fine.  I’ve always used the older app though.

10 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

After two weeks, I just figured out this thing has a built in trolley handle.   ?

:roflmao:

22 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • You tried an ms3 before and it felt like it had better ergonomics? Interesting.

Yes. I'm starting to think that the dihedral angle is the key. Lowering it on the X has now made it from unridable to quite comfortable.

• Nobody complain about "sloppy" pedals on Gotways! :efef927839:

People have differing standards. I've worked as an audio engineer and I'm an auditory person, so these things matter to me more than others.

The point was not necessarily to make them any stiffer. Just to remove the pointless extra play the mechanism has.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway wheels do not accept app commands other than the lights or beeper if the wheel is in motion, so you're safe.

Ah, ofcourse. It's interesting how getting a new wheel makes me forget some of the very basics I know about these wheels.

Today when starting a more systematical testing, I was not able to reproduce any of the unintentionally changing alerts or tilt-back. So much for hunting down the issue...

11 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

DIY :D

My middle name! And I heard that Gotway is planning on changing it's name to "Gotway DIY" as well... :P

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stephen said:

how do you like the pedals @EUC GUY

very much! BUT, they might be causing me the wobbles.. Check it: goto. 3:03 unless the link does it for you. 
Might be because of the slight tiltback that i can not turn off, or the angle on the pedals. im more leaning towards the last idea.  

Edited by EUC GUY
  • Like 2

Why are pedals even angled? This makes no sense to me.

If you (the manufacturer) are worried about ground clearance during a lean, then just make the pedals higher, this having the added bonus of being nearer to the axis and hence put less pressure on the bits of metal handing down from the axis.

Angled is just uncomfortable. Perfectly flat seems much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Why are pedals even angled? This makes no sense to me.

If you (the manufacturer) are worried about ground clearance during a lean, then just make the pedals higher, this having the added bonus of being nearer to the axis and hence put less pressure on the bits of metal handing down from the axis.

Angled is just uncomfortable. Perfectly flat seems much better.

Well, I don't find it uncomfortable, and I'm sure moving the pedals closer to the axle negatively impacts the dynamics of the wheel as you would have less leverage.

• Like 2

Spent the first day on my MSX yesterday. Merlwood is spot on.

I love the pedal angle. You have so much leverage carving thru traffic. It also lets you feel much more planted in turns. I don't think they did it for clearance. 

The acceleration from a standstill is horrible. Feels like its programmed that way tho. I'd also flash/buy a new board if this was improved down the road

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

My Msuper X will always require many times the physical effort, since the firmware is still not upgradeable by the user. Were the modes updated for better responsiveness, I would probably purchase an updated control board. The braking distance is that profound a safety issue for me

don't suppliers from anywhere have something to upgrade boards when new firmware is out,, or should it be a free upgrade ?

1 hour ago, dieterGRAMS said:

The acceleration from a standstill is horrible. Feels like its programmed that way tho. I'd also flash/buy a new board if this was improved down the road

It is physics. Grow 20% taller and double your foot size and it will become quite peppy. You are part of the machine. EUCs favor people with large feet. The bigger the wheel the more you have to do to unbalance it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

It is physics. Grow 20% taller and double your foot size and it will become quite peppy. You are part of the machine. EUCs favor people with large feet. The bigger the wheel the more you have to do to unbalance it. 

You're completely right, but it feels... extra. Iono if any of you are/were car guys, but it feels like big turbo lag. As if the boost doesn't come on till 12mph. I just caught every red light on the way home from the office and I have to do a major skateboard kick at the start else I nearly fall over the front. Switched from Hard to Medium mode, will try soft again in a few but here is what I noticed with that:

Yesterday I crossed the Williamsburg bridge on soft. On the flat part of the bridge the bike path has a rhythmic bump and the pedals wanted to dump me forward. Later in the day I came across another rhythmic bumpy stretch and it did the same on medium. Haven't felt that same sensation on hard. Now on my MCM4, I took a trail thru the woods to take a piss one night and the pedals did the same. To the point where I had to bail. 

Any insight/tips?