V8 repair help

Gizmo Dork

I've had my V8 for a little under a year now and have had a couple of falls. At first I didn't think anything was wrong as it still ran and seemed to work normally. However, lately the bluetooth is now having trouble connecting to my iPhone and the audio has completely shut off ( no warning sound, handle button sound or power button sound). Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their V8? If so were you able to fix it? Also, I feel like my breaking is sluggish ever since the accident. Does anyone know if there is any kind of repair shop or specialty store I can send it to in order to get it looked over or repaired? preferably in California. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

If you don't want to open the wheel yourself the first thing I would suggest is to contact your reseller to see if they can do an warranty inspection or repair. You've owned it less than a year and that would mean the warranty is still valid. If you brought from abroad and it is a grey import then you could try contacting InMotion USA (myinmotion.com). They may not honor the warranty if you purchased from a questionable channel but could do an inspection and repair at cost for you. They are based in San Diego but I don't know where their repair center is. Maybe it is there too and so local to you. Otherwise you can contact Jason McNeil at eWheels.com He is very busy though so may not be in a position to do inspection/repair if you didn't buy from him but may sell parts necessary to repair.

If, however you are happy to get your hands a bit dirty then there is some stuff you can do to see if you can resolve the issue yourself.

DId you change the bluetooth password from default in the past. If for some reaon the bluetooth module was reset then so could the password and this would create communication issues. Try re-pairing with the default code of 000000. If you are able to connect check that the sound volume hasn't been turned way down.

Beyond this it may be worth resetting the wheel and reseating the bluetooth module on the board. It is possible that in your fall the bluetooth daughterboard has been dislodged causing intermittant problems and potential side effects on other systems. To do this take the side panel off. Disconnect the main power connector (yellow two pin connector) and for safety also disconnect the multipin data connector from the battery found up near the top of the wheel. Press the power button to ensure the mainboard dissipates any remaining power. Now remove the mainboard cover being careful not to tear the rubber sealing ring between the cover and the base. With the mainboard exposed check all the connectors are thoroughly pushed home and were not knocked loose during your fall. One of these feeds the speaker and could have resulted in lost sounds. Re-seat the bluetooth daughterboard. Also check the capacitors carefuly for signs of damage or burning. Post pictures if you like for the electrically minded here to weigh in. When all done, assuming it all looks good, reassemble and try the bluetooth. If it works reset the wheel settings to your liking (including recallibrating the gyro) and see if your sounds have come back. Still looking good then tentatively try the wheel out to test the breaking ability. Take it easy with it as you have just poked arround in its gubbins and you don't want a high speed fall.

The reason I say to inspect the capacitors is because of your comment on breaking being weaker. The capacitors help provide additional surge power in extreme circumstances. Have you noticed the pedals being less stable while riding (moving forward and back more than ususal when accelerating or breaking)? This is another sign of a blown cap and could give the feel of poor breaking.

A blow capacitor would mean a new mainboard. They aren't too expensive compared to the wheel total cost. 

Report back!

Thanks for the advice Warped. Yeah I tried contacting the company I bought from and they are not offering any warranty and Inmotion USA themselves say they could try to repair but I could be looking at anywhere between $200- $600 in repair fees. At that price I might as well by a new one LOL. So looks like I have to get me hands dirty. 

DId you change the bluetooth password from default in the past. If for some reaon the bluetooth module was reset then so could the password and this would create communication issues. Try re-pairing with the default code of 000000. If you are able to connect check that the sound volume hasn't been turned way down.

I don't think so. How do I re- pair with the default  code? Is that in the Inmotion app or with my iOS Bluetooth settings? 

So what of the list above did you do so far? Knowing what worked will help the next person with the issue. 

Did you look at the board? Any burning on the capacitors. How does the breaking feel? 

You could try to re-upload the sound files from the app. 

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

So what of the list above did you do so far? Knowing what worked will help the next person with the issue. 

Did you look at the board? Any burning on the capacitors. How does the breaking feel? 

You could try to re-upload the sound files from the app. 

Sorry. Fixing bluetooth was as simple as re-pairing with the default code of 000000. Haven't looked inside yet but that will be next most likely.

Ok, I've got the same problem: No side lights, No sound. No bluetooth (cannot find my SCV device). Wheel works just fine otherwise.

I opened up my V8 and cables look like its in order. Not too sure if speed limiter is even working (and don't want to be a crash test dummy to find out.) so I don't do aggressive riding anymore. Anyone kind enough to let me know how much is a replacement mobo for the V8? 

My V8 is more than a year old but still a beast, just that it needs a new brain. 

The price they are charging for a new mobo here where I'm from is quarter the price of my wheel which makes little sense.

I'd be happy to pay for a replacement to any dealer here can ship me a unit at a fair price. Otherwise I'd suck it up and buy the V10 or something when my batteries need replacement.

Archived