Noob on a KS18AY+

squirt

I bought a used KS18AY+ last week as my first wheel while waiting for my KS18L to come in and have made steady progress with it.  I started out using the strap that came with it, but thought it was too short and kept one of my arms restricted.  So I purchased a longer strap from Walmart and set the length just to my longest arm reach while standing on the pedals.  This helped out tremendously with allowing me to flail my arms while trying to balance and still be able to catch the wheel if it got away from me (most the time)...  2 times it did get away from me enough to put some pretty good scratches in it, and take off one of the speaker covers.  I also got a really good goose egg on the side of my leg just above my ankle when I lost control and it spun around on the strap and slammed against my leg.

2 days ago I finally got brave enough to venture out of my short driveway and went to the end of my road and back a few times...  A little over half a mile each way.  I got a lot of wobbles, came close to running into a few parked cars and motorcycles, and almost went into some bushes, but I survived..  Yesterday I was practicing some more and had a couple folks ask me about it.  One guy told me he had seen a lot of these in California, but this is the first time he had seen one in Northern Virginia.  They all thought it was cool.  I ended up going to the local middle school parking lot and practiced doing long figure eights between the parking lot divides.  I did approximately 14 miles yesterday across 2 sessions.

This morning, I went out again and did another 12 miles in 1 hour.  I practiced more in the school parking lot and as summer school kids were coming in, I could hear a lot of comments about it, including how fast they thought it was.  I guess they are used to seeing the hoverboards.  This time I practiced smaller figure eights within 10 to 15 foot diameters.  Definitely helps to look where you want to go, just like with a motorcycle.  On the way back home, I was much more comfortable and was not as nervous as cars past me on the road.  I still have a lot of work to do, but this is way better than my Segway Minipro.  I also want to learn as much as I can before the 18L comes in as I don't want to scratch it up to bad. ?

Edit....  Oops.. .meant to put this in the general section... Can it be moved?

7 minutes ago, squirt said:

I bought a used KS18AY+ last week as my first wheel while waiting for my KS18L to come in and have made steady progress with it.  I started out using the strap that came with it, but thought it was too short and kept one of my arms restricted.  So I purchased a longer strap from Walmart and set the length just to my longest arm reach while standing on the pedals.  This helped out tremendously with allowing me to flail my arms while trying to balance and still be able to catch the wheel if it got away from me (most the time)...  2 times it did get away from me enough to put some pretty good scratches in it, and take off one of the speaker covers.  I also got a really good goose egg on the side of my leg just above my ankle when I lost control and it spun around on the strap and slammed against my leg.

2 days ago I finally got brave enough to venture out of my short driveway and went to the end of my road and back a few times...  A little over half a mile each way.  I got a lot of wobbles, came close to running into a few parked cars and motorcycles, and almost went into some bushes, but I survived..  Yesterday I was practicing some more and had a couple folks ask me about it.  One guy told me he had seen a lot of these in California, but this is the first time he had seen one in Northern Virginia.  They all thought it was cool.  I ended up going to the local middle school parking lot and practiced doing long figure eights between the parking lot divides.  I did approximately 14 miles yesterday across 2 sessions.

This morning, I went out again and did another 12 miles in 1 hour.  I practiced more in the school parking lot and as summer school kids were coming in, I could hear a lot of comments about it, including how fast they thought it was.  I guess they are used to seeing the hoverboards.  This time I practiced smaller figure eights within 10 to 15 foot diameters.  Definitely helps to look where you want to go, just like with a motorcycle.  On the way back home, I was much more comfortable and was not as nervous as cars past me on the road.  I still have a lot of work to do, but this is way better than my Segway Minipro.  I also want to learn as much as I can before the 18L comes in as I don't want to scratch it up to bad. ?

Edit....  Oops.. .meant to put this in the general section... Can it be moved? 

It's Ok here...as it is Kind of a review!

Congrats for the 18AY...a great Wheel...but propably one of the hardest to learn on! Even experienced riders having some Trouble to adjust to a 18A/AY/S Wheel because of the high Shell and therefore it is harder to steer!

As soon as you get your 18L, that will make your learning process a good bit more easy.....

But whatever: Kepp on progressing! AS more you can on the 18AY ….the more you are able to do on the 18L!!!

This thing has great mileage!  When I got it last week, it was at 89% and I never charged it.  Since then I have gone 46.5 miles and it still says I have 32% battery left.  I did 24 miles total across 3 sessions yesterday alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they talk a lot too. Please decelerate. I really dig the Blautooth is on message. Makes me feel Superior to correct her English. Ha!

The range is amazing. Just turn off the verbal warnings after 20% power remaining. It is persistent about warnings.

Archived