Inmotion App Killing My Phone's Battery

kjon12

Anyone else having this problem? I'm on Android version 6.01 on a Samsung Galaxy S5. I loaded the Inmotion app (latest version, as far as I can tell) to connect to my V5F to monitor stats. On more than one occasion now I've turned my phone off and charged it overnight. The next day, with a fresh charge, I turn the phone on and go about my business. A few hours later, I notice that my battery is nearly dead. Going into Settings/Battery, I see that the Inmotion app is running and has GPS enabled. No wonder I have no battery left! I did not fire up the Inmotion app on my own, so it's being started by the Android system. 

I've read online that Android is starting programs on its own so that the phone appears to run faster, not having to boot up programs from scratch when you ask for them. I don't know how it decides which programs to start, although it could be it's starting the programs used most often. Supposedly it doesn't matter if a bunch of programs are loaded into RAM, power wise, since only the program brought to the forefront is supposed to be executing and consuming power. However, it appears to me that the Inmotion program is keeping the GPS active, even if it's not brought to the forefront, and it's consuming my battery. What's really bad is that I don't even know the Inmotion app has started, since I didn't fire it up on my own. Since I've seen this a few times, I've gone into Settings/Battery/Inmotion and performed a Force Stop on the program. However, I later discover the program is running again and GPS is on.

Not only is this irritating, it's causing me to lose the use of my phone unless I have a means to charge it when I'm out and about. 

I too have android 6.0.1 on my phone (LGL58VL} but it doesn't auto start the Ninebot app.  If I start the app and forget to back out of it, it will be down to about 30% battery the next morning.  The app uses a lot of battery.  The phone does autostart some apps, like google play, wifi, google maps, and sometimes weather.  Just now checked the battery use details and found goople play store and maps running, turned them off and google play came right back on.  Irrititating having to turn off apps every morning and evening to save battery.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have the same exact problem, using latest version of Inmotion App (7.0.8) on a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android 7.0. Today I left home with 100% battery (just unplugged the phone before I set off), and after a one-hour ride my phone was at 47%. Same thing every time I go for a ride. And Android battery info always points the inmotion app as the culprit:

mw4mx1.jpg

24cihzq.jpg

I suggest reporting this to inmotion via the Play Store or mentioning it in a comment for the app

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Hi,

I have the same exact problem, using latest version of Inmotion App (7.0.8) on a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android 7.0. Today I left home with 100% battery (just unplugged the phone before I set off), and after a one-hour ride my phone was at 47%. Same thing every time I go for a ride. And Android battery info always points the inmotion app as the culprit:

That's afair a quite ild provlem reported here quite fron the start if the app :+

I suggest reporting this to inmotion via the Play Store or mentioning it in a comment for the app

Maybe a chance - but they know it and did not do anything till now (alread over something like a year?)

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

That's afair a quite ild provlem reported here quite fron the start if the app :+

It's ridiculous they can be selling $1000 devices with such HORRIBLE apps. And the app is very necessary, in terms of how much range you have left, exact battery level, speed, temperature, overheating, etc.

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe a chance - but they know it and did not do anything till now (alread over something like a year?)

Yeah, so it seems. They have terrible review on the Play Store (a total of 2.3/5, and mostly 1* reviews), I can't believe they're not addressing the problem. This afternoon I tried changing the apps permissions and denying it use to camera and location, but still the same problem. In fact, it's even draining my battery when the app is closed! I've tried putting it in "permanent sleep mode" so it can't do anything in the background and will only be active when I open it but who knows if that'll work...

To try out an alternative, I downloaded the open-source EGG-Electric-Unicycle app (https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/egg_app/releases) to see if it's any better but I've had no luck pairing it with the V8. I don't think the mother board is compatible. Sigh...

On the other hand, I hear the app has been considerably improved for the Solowheel Glide 3. I wonder if it would be compatible with the V8....

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

It's ridiculous they can be selling $1000 devices with such HORRIBLE apps. And the app is very necessary, in terms of how much range you have left, exact battery level, speed, temperature, overheating, etc.

I only use the app like-every-other-month for

• setting the maximum speed
  • setting the tilt angle
  • tilt calibration (car body something)

If you want to know the technical status, the WheelLog app provides more information anyway. Not necessary, but nice to have.

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

On the other hand, I hear the app has been considerably improved for the Solowheel Glide 3. I wonder if it would be compatible with the V8....

The app was re-skinned for Solowheel, but the Solowheel-branded version stopped allowing me to log in.  Yes, it is amusing to "force quit" Inmotion in order to stop it from draining the battery even when supposedly closed.  For my Glide 3, WheelLog apparently logs in to the wheel correctly (happy noise from the wheel) but then it just shows all zeros, so I still need Inmotion's app.

10 hours ago, Chriull said:

Try wheellog

Thanks @Chriull,  WheelLog is much better than the Inmotion app. Good battery performance, tons of stats, connects much faster than the Inmotion app, reconnects automatically (and almost instantly) when I switch the wheel off and on...Will be using it as my go-to app, what a great discovery, thanks!

BTW, I wrote to app@imscv.com to complain about the terrible app and battery drain. I doubt it'll amount to anything, but at least I got it off my chest :roflmao:

Their auto-reply was definitely enlightening:

深圳乐行天下科技有限公司  APP团队

地址:深圳市南山区学苑大道1001号南山智园B1栋18楼

T:0755-25722469

F:0755-25727563

E:app@imscv.com

W:www.imscv.com

In short, their address, phone number and e-mail address. Useful... <_<

10 hours ago, Mono said:

I only use the app like-every-other-month for

• setting the maximum speed
  • setting the tilt angle
  • tilt calibration (car body something)

Thanks, I think I'll do exactly that! I'll uninstall the Inmotion app directly and only install it once a month or so (or after a big fall) for diagnostics, and uninstall immediately after. As to the tilt angle, I think I saw an option in WheelLog for that, although I haven't tested it. Do you know whether it works or not?

And the maximum speed can't be set from WheelLog? Hmmm.....does that mean that using WheelLog the unicycle's built in speed limit no longer applies?

8 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

The app was re-skinned for Solowheel, but the Solowheel-branded version stopped allowing me to log in.  Yes, it is amusing to "force quit" Inmotion in order to stop it from draining the battery even when supposedly closed.  For my Glide 3, WheelLog apparently logs in to the wheel correctly (happy noise from the wheel) but then it just shows all zeros, so I still need Inmotion's app. 

So Solowheel's app is just reskinning...? Too bad WheelLog isn't working for you and you still have to use the Inmotion app...Hope that gets fixed in the future, but it's odd that it works for V8s and not for Solowheels, as they're essentially the same wheel but with different names...

Thanks, I think I'll do exactly that! I'll uninstall the Inmotion app directly and only install it once a month or so (or after a big fall) for diagnostics, and uninstall immediately after.

Maybe you can prevent auto-startup from the OS and kill the app after usage (I have a kill-app app :P). That's what I did, but uninstalling the app does the job as well.

As to the tilt angle, I think I saw an option in WheelLog for that, although I haven't tested it. Do you know whether it works or not?

I don't know, let us know if you find out.

And the maximum speed can't be set from WheelLog? Hmmm.....does that mean that using WheelLog the unicycle's built in speed limit no longer applies?

That can't possibly be so. You have to (re-)set the maximum speed deliberately. This is a value the EUC stores internally, irrespectively of whether you use any app.

Archived