What's the lightest unicycle that can do 40km/h?

alcatraz

Hi fellow riders...

I'm in a predicament of choosing my next euc. While riding my Inmotion V8 I sometimes feel I'd like more stability at speed. Also 30km/h is starting to annoy me.

I've been postponing the purchase of a new euc because they are all so ridiculously heavy. I was excited to get a KS18L because it was specified at 18kg but it must have been without a battery. It's actually 21.6kg

I respect that to have a stable cruiser you need the weight but I commute daily on this in a city to many different places with stairs and distances ranging between 1-10km each ride.

It seems I'm stuck with my V8 because it has a trolley handle and can do 25km on a charge 30km/h and weighs under 14kg.

Thanks for reading my rant this far. My question is whats a light 40km/h cruiser 16-18 inch that can do lets say 40km on a charge? I'm aware that going 40km/h on a battery thats approaching depletion is dangerous. Inmotion has proven very reliable to me. I can clearly sense that the machine is getting sluggish after 40% and that I need to take it easy.

I wouldn't mind having a beefy mosfet and motor a la Gotway tesla because it would theoretically let me brake faster than a weaker wheel and be safer even though I don't want to go over 40km/h which the wheel can do.

What does a tesla weigh? Isn't it 20kg and then just 1-2kg away from a cruiser like the KS18L? Is there something around 16-17kg that can do 40km/h reliably?

I'm frustrated to the point I'd almost like to unlock 35km/h on the V8 which is dangerous, and at the same time squeeze in a larger battery back, maybe even go 100V.

/a

Edited by alcatraz

According to the specs on apogeebuy, the gt16 may for your needs. 

Maximum speed 45Km/H
Mileage range 80KM
Weight 17KG

I can't testify to real world performance though, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Only thing about the GT16 is it's not water-resistant, and I'm told the comfort level is lacking for longer rides. Extremely sporty wheel though.

If I move the tiltback to 35km/h I might be close to the cutout speed.

I wonder how many km/h the cutout is. I've never tested for it.

Maybe overvolting could prevent the cutout to happen, or loss of torque at 35km/h. But it would be experimental to say at best.

I love the idea though to be able to cruise at 35km/h on the light and nimble V8. Also to jam in a 20s3 instead of the original 20s2 battery pack in the machine which would add ~50% range. This has been done and doesn't require any modifications to the battery compartment.

The GT16 seems very interesting. 17.5-18kg. Tesla is 19kg.

Edit: Just saw a vid of the total weight of V8 and 20s3p upgraded battery and it's only 14.1kg. That's ridiculously light if the wheel can reliably do 35km/h cruising and considering the upgraded  battery has 808Wh with 3500mAh cells.???

Edited by alcatraz

11 hours ago, trya said:

MTen3 is the winner (based on the stated requirements), weight - 22lb, speed - 25mph

https://www.ewheels.com/product/gotway-mten3-512-800w-motor/

Yup, I have my alarm on the mTen3 set at 39kph and hit it regularly.  Almost 100 miles on it now.  :)

• Like 1

39km/h on a 10inch? ?

My preliminary decision is to keep the V8 and put in an 800Wh battery pack using 60pcs 3500mAh samsung cells instead of the 40pcs lg mh1 3200mAh. Then I'm tempted by raising the max speed by 10% to 33km/h. I think such a max speed can be maintained for day to day.

I don't believe in making a jump in one step. What I'd do is go 31km/h and do 300km. Then 32km/h for 500km. Then 33km/h for 1000km. There is a good chance the wheel won't cut out in such a cautionary fashion. I hope that there will be a feeling of torque loss before any cutout occurs.

I'd like to try a wider tire. As wide a tire as I can fit. This so I can lower the pressure without increasing the rolling resistance much. This is how I would address the speed stability problem.

Such a machine would be 14.1kg 16 inch and 800Wh doing 30-35km/h cruising for about 40km realistic range. That would be in a class of it's own.

I was playing with the idea to go 100V battery and just smacking the max to 35km/h. This is maybe a bit too troublesome for me. New charger/bms, can't fit full 800Wh capacity, and it's a bit too experimental.

Edited by alcatraz

• 1 year later...

I’m just over 80kg and I can cruise on grass at 30km/h

ive taken it to 34km/h on the road though

no plans to test out it’s top speed any further, 20-25km/h is a good speed to ride it at for me where I ride

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh, unofficial unlock you mean

Yeah. A lot of people say it's fine but...why unlock a 30 km/h wheel to go 35 km/h when you can get a Tesla and safely go that speed and over?

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice!

I'll admit the Tesla ticks a lot of boxes, and is much lighter for what was initially the intended use (city riding), but the 16X's range & offroad capabilities tipped the scale in its favour...

• Like 2

Would you really really want to go at 40kmh on a 14" wheel? If you do then there's also the KS14S but the Tesla V2 is only 2Kg heavier, has a 16" wheel and the range is far better. You could buy now for a decent price or wait a month or two and see what the new wheels are that are coming out.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 PM, Kent said:

While MTen3 is pretty nice, its practical top speed is 27km/h = 17mph under my weight 70kg. I still love Mten3 though.

I personally normally would go over 20-23 kmh on it, and love it anyway for its weight, agility and compactness. 

Don't unlock your V8s. I had a cutout on a flat road while cruising at a speed that I had done for 500km (plenty of charge, good battery, not cold weather). The board will cut the power if you go over a certain threshhold long enough. I unlocked to 33km/h and that was enough to cause a cutout. Right now I'm not even sure I'd ride it at it's maximum locked speed 30km/h. I'm staying at 25km/h max for now. I'm 65kg and my wheel had done 10.000 troublefree km until it happened.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:26 AM, alcatraz said:

I wonder how many km/h the cutout is. I've never tested for it.

I measured 38km/h @ 72V and 42km/h @ 79V no-load lift-turn-off speed for my V8.

I had some time ago a long and heated discussion as to whether it is irresponsible to provide software that can unlock the V8 above 30km/h. The above measures can't really change my mind on that subject. Even if it were impossible to reach the turn-off speed on the unlocked wheel during normal riding (or the wheel had a magic mechanism to prevent the turn-off while riding), it is IMHO irresponsible to give people the means to unlock the wheel beyond 30km/h. EDIT: my feelings are actually even stronger in that I wouldn't mind the book thrown at those who do.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:11 AM, alcatraz said:

Right now I'm not even sure I'd ride it at it's maximum locked speed 30km/h. I'm staying at 25km/h max for now.

Exactly my feelings. Safety margin at top speed is near zero (if not zero). I rarely ride my V8 near top speed, and when I do, I always have an uneasy feeling...

@alcatraz I am a brand new EUC rider and I just bought myself a Tesla V2 from Aliexpress. This thing is amazing and I haven't even gone above 35kph (that's where my beep is set) yet but i know it can do so very comfortably. I love this thing and am very happy with my choice. I feel like I can use this for a long time and enjoy it every day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got a good deal on a tesla v1 850wh. 300usd, so too good to pass up.

I'm contemplating building a 40 or 60cell pack for it. 525Wh/788Wh and 17/18kg respectively. Sanyo 3500mAh cells can put out 15A for 10-20 min without overheating. This way it's possible to have capacity and high discharge rate at the same time. Sure 30A for a 40cell pack @17kg will mean 2400w continous for ~10min before it's getting dangerous.

Anyway, that's for later. For now I'm going to use the 850Wh pack at 19kg and see how bulky the tesla is.

Edited by alcatraz