Ninebot E+ will NOT TURN OFF...just starts/stops shaking

tjcooper

I got an upgrade Ninebot E+ from Segway repair about 6 months ago.   Brand new machine that works great.  But yesterday I went to ride and when I hit the POWER button the unit just starts to shake back and forth.  I hit the POWER button to shut it down.   The POWER button does not shut it down.  After about 10 seconds of shaking (assuming you do not change its rotational orientation) then the shaking stops.  But if you rotate the unit by like 20 degrees, it starts to shake again for another 10 seconds.  You can hit the POWER button as often as you want, it does not shut the system down.  The shake comes from the wheel rotating forward about 5 degrees and then immediately rotates backwards for like 5 degrees.   This process just repeats for about 10 seconds and then the Ninebot E+ goes silent.   But if you rotate the unit forward or backward, the 10 second shake starts again.  If you lift the unit off the ground, there is no fast wheel forward.  It just stays still unless it is shaking.

I had run the unit a few days ago trying to see if I could get the unit on my cell phone app to say I was out of power.  I did get notification that it was low, but now shut-down low.

I forgot to charge it after that ride.  So when the shaking started I assumed it was a low battery condition.  I put on the charger which started around 54.6 vDC.  I let it go up to 58.0 vDC before I tested unit again for shake.  Shaking still happening.   Since I cannot turn the unit off, I am worried about a fire condition.  I called my contact at Segway to ask what I should do.  I have had no response. 

How hard is it to remove the battery connection on Ninebot E+ ?  Do I need any special equipment?  I have never taken the Ninebot apart.  It is a piece of cake on my MoHoo with 3 screws to get to battery pack and pull the Dean's connector.  Not sure what I have to undo on Ninebot to get to battery.  Hope it has a simple connector to disconnect battery.  I want to keep it disconnected until Segway tells me what I should do to try and reset unit.   Any hints from the Ninebot forum?

tjcooper

This shows the steps to remove the battery.  It's safe to pull the plug and stop the shaking.  You likely have a plug disconnected, or a bad motherboard.  Hopefully NineBot will get back to you shortly.

If you need further help, you might try contacting Nevin at Tec-Toyz.com .  He does not sell NineBot One's, but he knows Electric Unicycles very well and is in the Southbay area.

Check your app to see if it is set to lock mode.  It is the padlock in the center of the speedometer.  I just locked mine and the power button would not shut it off either.  It's easy to accidently lock the wheel.  If the hasp of the padlock shows closed, touch it with your finger to unlock it.

The shaking and not being able to use the wheel are the anti-theft feature.  Just unlock it and it should be fine.

@steve454

I will try your "fix" tonight.  I have had no response from leaving several calls to Ninebot.    I have had to "charge up" the battery several times to stop it from going too low.

But just having it always powered on causes me great concern from a fire hazard.   Don't remember playing with the app while riding it, but I might have.  Much thanks for this note on the possible cause being an "anti-theft" mechanism.   No one has ever mentioned this in the forum that I have seen.

@SuperSport

thanks for video on how to get to  batteries.  Never had to do that on this machine.

tjcooper

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a fire hazard.  I've never read about a ninebot doing anything bad while locked.  Here is the picture of the lock symbol on the app.  This one is unlocked.  This is a ninebot scooter, but the app looks the same.Image result for ninebot app

Archived