Msuper X 100V or 84V

Shad0z

there is the standard 84Volt msuper x with 1600wh battery

and then as of now only a few people have the msuper x 100Volt with 1200wh battery

my budget is tight. What would i loose from a 84volt wheel compared to a 100volt

and for me the big battery is also very important

i need every little pro and con there could be with each

i want the bigger battery 1600 and the squishy 3"wheel , i do 25 miles just before work nearly every day 1 1/2  to 2 hours  riding so on my days off i want to ride alot more . i don't care for top speed much, 25 mph+ would be fine  if i needed it , i think the 84v would handle most hills and terain so for me it's the range i need more ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

If money is tight and you like the distance of the 1600 it is a no brainer.  Get the 84 volt.  What is the advantage of the 100 volt at this point in time? 

I think the 100v would give more power to the motor. And maybe less stress on the mosfets?? But im really not sure. i would think less current needed with higher voltage. 

but i think 84v should be sufficient. But you gotra keep speculating. What am i missing out on with a 84volt? And is it even worth it to bother with a 100volt?

The power should be the same.   Posible slight torque vs top speed differences.  Your top speed is controlled by a software set limit so the torque of the 84v would be better.  The voltage would lower the amps and increase contamination shorting.  We are only talking about 16 volts.  It is not really any better or worse.  The larger battery on the 84v is an advantage.  In the future wheels might be 200 volts but you will not really be able to tell any difference. (Smoother ride)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The power should be the same.   Posible slight torque vs top speed differences.  Your top speed is controlled by a software set limit so the torque of the 84v would be better.  The voltage would lower the amps and increase contamination shorting.  We are only talking about 16 volts.  It is not really any better or worse.  The larger battery on the 84v is an advantage.  In the future wheels might be 200 volts but you will not really be able to tell any difference. (Smoother ride)

i thought maybe one pro of 100v would be less amps and thereby harder to reach the limit of the mosfets. But i think thats almost impossible with the ones mounted in the msuper x.

84volt it is! Thanks to you all for answers :) 

While the decision seems to be made, worth mentioning that someone wrote the 100V already having some reliability issues. I’ll try to find the comment from the other threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

While the decision seems to be made, worth mentioning that someone wrote the 100V already having some reliability issues. I’ll try to find the comment from the other threads.

this just makes me even more know what to decide. And as soon as i see the price of the 100volt i will have my decision made for me anyways. ?

Edited by Shad0z

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

And as soon as i see the price of the 100vol

$2100USD, although it was $1900 a while ago. Aliexpress prices do tend to fluctuate. So same or close to the 84V 1600Wh.

http://s.aliexpress.com/uMvIVvI3?fromSns=ColorNote

Here’s the comment on fried 100V boards. Just a rumor so far, but I trust Scatcat 100% in that that’s what he was told.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

$2100USD, although it was $1900 a while ago. Aliexpress prices do tend to fluctuate. So same or close to the 84V 1600Wh.

http://s.aliexpress.com/uMvIVvI3?fromSns=ColorNote

Here’s the comment on fried 100V boards. Just a rumor so far, but I trust Scatcat 100% in that that’s what he was told.

for now im choosing the 84v until i hear anything else.

interesting to see the price about the same. 

but for me my budget is like a laser pointer. I can maybe just manage to get money for it. But 50 dollars more and its one month more. Plus 200dollars and im off by a bit.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I went for the 84 (currently in German customs before coming to me hopefully end of next week, hopefully).

seems marginal improvement on torque over the 100v and marginally lower top speed.

Differences in top speed don’t matter to me once you’re over 30mph.

48 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Over the course of a month I've gone from marvelling at the power of my MSX to hitting the 3rd alarm any time I want to go fast.  Can't wait for bigger better 100v systems. 

Go faster. 5 beeps a second is max.  ;) 

51 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Lol, I can't really hear them so I assume it's the 5 beeps.  I turned my music up today and hit 55.

Haha. We really need vibration warnings (like a phone) instead of (or in addition to) the beeps. They can't be easily missed like beeps.

• 2 weeks later...

Engineering perspective:  since the controller uses (as far as I know) Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control power output... the max torque/hp capability exists with 100V, not the 84V.  The software may have the same top-speed limit (depending on software), and the 84V batteries with higher WH per cost will result in longer ranges.  If the WH were the same for either 100V vs 84V, then the 100V would have longer range and more power.  As for failures in controllers with 100V batteries, there is less "design margin" for things like reverse-EMF and heat dissipation, so yes failure rates should also be higher with the 100V battery in the same system.  I'm also consdering this choice... reliability matters to me, as does performance... my ninebot one e+ isn't as fast as my Siberian Husky (his top is about 28mph).  :D

• Upvote 1