!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

7 hours ago, Lutalo said:

The pressure is ultimately they may start to seem incapable of solving the problems that arise with their wheels

This conclusion I have drawn already a long time ago based on the lack of solving much simpler engineering problems than this one. But then, even Chinese engineers are after all only humans, aren't they, and that's no secret either B)

6 hours ago, US69 said:

owners that have this failure happening more than once can and should contact their sellers to find a a solution or a possible board change. 

In my case it happened more than one time, twice on the same day. I emailed the seller to notify him of what had happened back on January 31, 2019. I'm still waiting for a response /answer? They are fast to sell me two wheels (KS16S & KS18L) but not quite as fast or should I say none responsive on faulty wheels.

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave U said:

In my case it happened more than one time, twice on the same day. I emailed the seller to notify him of what had happened back on January 31, 2019. I'm still waiting for a response /answer? They are fast to sell me two wheels (KS16S & KS18L) but not quite as fast or should I say none responsive on faulty wheels.

Who was your reseller? people should know who to deal with, and who not to. And a little public shaming can sometimes really speed up customer service.

Just to prove out my rider after the controller replacement (even with another vibration incident at still within a few days)...I rode mine for 12 miles hard last weekend, temperature on board hit 56/57C and fan was on when I got back. No issues. Does still appear to just be a trolly/non-riding issue. Even with the second speed lock still on after controller replacement (25mph)...this thing is a beast.

Does this vibration only happen indoors, when pushed around with the trolley? Never when pushed outside? And - never when ridden? 

I havent touched my wheel the last few days. I tried to provoke this behaviour again, but was unable to. Guess it happens when least expected. I have two burnmarks that I can not remove completely on the floor inside, cant have any more of those. :)

Could it be that this static behavior (or whatever causes the shaking) affects all wheels, but those who has NOT had this problem, has not used the wheel indoors (in spesific conditions)? Perhaps I would not have experienced this either if it was no snow outside - I would definently ride outside instead. 

3 hours ago, rolauk said:

Could it be that this static behavior (or whatever causes the shaking) affects all wheels, but those who has NOT had this problem, has not used the wheel indoors (in spesific conditions)? Perhaps I would not have experienced this either if it was no snow outside - I would definently ride outside instead. 

My guess is that to those it's happened to (myself included), and based on it being due to static electricity, I would venture to say that it will only happen in conditions where there's a build up of static energy. People who live close to or in humid areas, will most likely be clear of these issues. I do live in Los Angeles and the humidity varies greatly depending on whether or not we have an on-shore flow, or wind from the East which we call Santa Annas. The day it happened to me was on a very dry day with Santa Anna winds from the East. My pants were clinging to my legs and the air was very staticly charged. 

This being said, if Kingsong is having difficulty re-creating the issue in order to come up with a solid resolution, my guess is that their testers are doing this in mainland China where it is humid...Just my guess, but I would like to hear from others in this thread who have had the issue as to what the weather was like when it occurred. My guess: dry weather which has more of a static charge in the air. Hope this is helpful...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

I would like to hear from others in this thread who have had the issue as to what the weather was like when it occurred. My guess: dry weather which has more of a static charge in the air. Hope this is helpful...

I also live in Los Angels county (City of Covina). The weather was at 79°F & dry at the time of my 2 occurrences on January 27, 2019 @ 1:20pm. Both incidents happened inside stores. I'm wondering now if having Bluetooth on/connected has anything to do with these violent vibrations? I had 3 apps (Kingsong, Pandora & Runtastic) running at the time. I'm also curious of other incidents happening outside or inside a building were electrical elements are around (WI FI, Bluetooth, ect..) or even floor carpet at stores or your own home? Next time I trolley my wheel inside stores, I'll be turning off Bluetooth to see what happens?

• Like 1

If it's really static electricity, I should see a lot of these lockups in a few months when our rel. humidity hits single digits again. Then again, I rarely walk my wheel and I'm not a fan of malls either, so we'll see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mono said:

Or maybe it happens only on very smooth surfaces?

One of the stores was Lowes with smooth flooring the other store was CVS with carpeted floor.

Edited by Dave U
  • Upvote 1

Ok, check this out. Pushing the wheel inside for 45 seconds - finally got it on camera. This wheel is going back (brand new, never used outside). This time the whole unit tilted back a little and was difficult to turn off. I was unfortunate and pressed the stop button on the camera as I tried to shut the wheel off. But you can see the whole ride right here...

• Upvote 1

Yes, scary as shit, this is violent stuff. I threw myself into cover and waited for it to calm down - no, I shut it off with the button, but it took a few second for it to respond (and difficult to actually hit the button because of this behavior. So - all is well, but this is not a wheel I am going to use. Very sad. :-(

Edit: And a new fat mark on the floor. Third one. Im not turning this on again. 

Edited by rolauk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

What was the weather like?  Cold outside with heaters running indoors, leading to low relative humidity?

Well - yes, all my three tests with this wheel happened when cold outside and heaters on inside. Yesterday was not very cold - and it happened after just 45 seconds. It could be related to this, but my other wheels does not, and have never - behaved like this. 

Today at 5:45 am on my way to work I came to a stop light. typically I dismount but today i just grabbed a nearby street sign and started idling slowly. I heard the familiar "Beep Beep" of the wheel disengaging and it did just that while I was on it. If I hadn't been holding on the the street sign, I would have for sure fallen (still did kinda). It took me a couple shakes of the wheel to re-engage. I then made it back to work. Has that ever happened to anyone while on the wheel? @Jason McNeil 

I'd like to keep the sensor on (convenient) and I'm sure that the wheel can only disengage when not in motion like with the power switch, but if it turns off while i'm at a stop light often, that's a little dangerous. Been riding (this 18XL) for 6 days. I've also heard of people adjusting/calibrating the lift sensor, what does this do? Is there a video on it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rolauk said:

Well - yes, all my three tests with this wheel happened when cold outside and heaters on inside. Yesterday was not very cold - and it happened after just 45 seconds. It could be related to this, but my other wheels does not, and have never - behaved like this. 

So it COULD actually be static electricity related, since having the heat on indoors will lower relative humidity.  Has it happened to anyone outdoors on a rainy day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Today at 5:45 am on my way to work I came to a stop light. typically I dismount but today i just grabbed a nearby street sign and started idling slowly. I heard the familiar "Beep Beep" of the wheel disengaging and it did just that while I was on it. If I hadn't been holding on the the street sign, I would have for sure fallen (still did kinda). It took me a couple shakes of the wheel to re-engage. I then made it back to work. Has that ever happened to anyone while on the wheel? @Jason McNeil 

I'd like to keep the sensor on (convenient) and I'm sure that the wheel can only disengage when not in motion like with the power switch, but if it turns off while i'm at a stop light often, that's a little dangerous. Been riding (this 18XL) for 6 days. I've also heard of people adjusting/calibrating the lift sensor, what does this do? Is there a video on it?

Yeah, man. I suggest disabling the lift sensor feature. Sucks, I know... Unfortunately, it seems KS has not thought their engineering through very well on this and their trolley design. Since disabling lift sensor and trolleying with the wheel off, I've had zero issues. Still waiting to hear if they are going to resolve any of these issues. Something fair, I believe, would be to credit back a small portion of the cost of the wheel. The total price of $2,150 should be discounted down to around $1,800-$1,900 at Most, in my honest opinion! And again, anyone at KS listening? What good are those (awesome) features, if they cannot be used safely and reliably?!? Those features are unfortunately useless if they can't be reliably used. The wheel performs extremely well under normal riding circumstances, but the other features are worthless, if not safe, and compensation should be done to all of us with these issues occuring, if say a firmware fix is not in place by like a couple of weeks ago. I mean, seriously! This is the most popular thread on the Kingsong section of the forum. Their claims of this affecting a low percentage of wheels, is hogwash. This thread is 30 long pages deep now. A few hundred dollars credited back, or a fix asap, would perhaps restore my faith in KS as a company. Everyone keeps saying they're taking it seriously, but still no solutions or resolutions. Again, I love the wheel, but I'll gladly go with Gotway and Inmotion as next wheels if Kingsong doesn't address all this SOON! Anyone agree? A few hundred bucks is what I would value the "features" that can't be reliably and safely used. For some of us, shelling out $2,150 is no easy task, and we expect all the features to work safely...

Edited by Rama Douglas

2 hours ago, US69 said:

Unfortunatly i dont find the calibration Video that is Floating around. I hope my description is good enough, ,otherwise hit me up by PM and i will record a vid myself.

I think I understand. I'll do it when I get home. Don't want my coworkers thinking a bomb is going off... 💣💥

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I then made it back to work. Has that ever happened to anyone while on the wheel?

Yest, but it's completely different thing - lift sensors need tensioning alignment and/or calibration.