!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

Experienced my first lockup last night after riding for about 6km, and trolleying it for about 5 minutes. Sounds the same as everyone else's:

- display lights frozen

- wheels locked

- unable to power down

- cannot connect via bluetooth

- wheel got quite hot after a while

- high-pitch sound

I was on 1.10 firmware version.

After getting home lugging the damn thing (man it's frickin' heavy) about 6 hours later and checking this thread, I searched Youtube for "KS-18L disassembly" and with a guide video disassembled the unit, and unplugging the power. I'm glad it wasn't overly complicated. If this helps anyone who gets it, this is all you need to do:

- detach light strips and rubber guard pads

- unscrew all screws and remove side panels to expose the insides (do for both sides)

- find this piece of rectangular black foam that's along this long vertical shaft that has wires and pull it off so wires beneath are fully accessible

- find wires that are connected via a yellow triangular shaped connector (see attached image)

- snip off black plastic lock strips that make sure the connectors stay connected, and pull apart to disconnect

- I'm not sure if you need to disconnect both sides of the wheel, but I disconnected one side (with TWO of these yellow connectors) and power was still on, and power only went off when I disconnected the side with ONE yellow connector.

After that, I gave it a short while to cool down a bit, then plugged it back up, and it powered up OK. Today I rode it for a short while and all seemed OK.  I really hope no damage was done to it cos it was locked and hot for about 6 hours.

I just upgraded to 1.11 a few moments ago, and pray that any lockups I may get in the future won't require going through all the above again!

BTW, I also had the sudden massive vibration problem once before while trolleying (I think on 1.07).

Hope the above helps.

KL

WeChat Image_20181008200041.jpg

Edited by Oohyeah KL
added photo and edited for greater clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm having same issue here, my KS-18L sometimes shakes crazy or turns off itself while trolleying (check video), contacted seller with this issue, I got reply today

'We think it is caused by the hall sensor line, whether the coating fo it has been tored. Should open the motor and check. videos for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNa4pYkkZM&feature=youtu.be If it is the hall sensor issue, the solution is to add an anti high temperature and insulation tube on the temperature sensor.  

but I am not sure it is hall sensor issue, since many people here think it's caused by faulty control board. 

Edited by esaj
Removed expired videolink to iCloud
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In case this assumption is correct, a reasonably simple way to greatly diminish the freeze risk would be to use a non-conductive mechanical link between the sensor and the handle, and also probably to add a ferrite bead filter to the wire that connects the sensor to the controller.

Update: it would also fix the potential problem of the static electricity being sent into the controller from the hand holding the handle.

Edited by yar

On 10/24/2018 at 2:51 AM, yar said:

In case this assumption is correct, a reasonably simple way to greatly diminish the freeze risk would be to use a non-conductive mechanical link between the sensor and the handle, and also probably to add a ferrite bead filter to the wire that connects the sensor to the controller.

Update: it would also fix the potential problem of the static electricity being sent into the controller from the hand holding the handle.

Sounds like a good idea if feasible... since low voltage, it might be also feasible to try a piece of shielded cable (lan cat6 type cable might be convenient) or better electrical insolated cable.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:38 PM, yar said:

Guys, what if the numerous freezes-while-trolleying occurred for the following simple reason: the extended telescopic handle works as an antenna? When it is extended, the reception of the electromagnetic interferences increases and it floods the controller.

KS-18L is the first Kingsong wheel that has its telescopic handle electrically connected to the weight sensor, which in turn must be connected to the controller. In addition, the handle is unusually tall in this model – I wonder if it should have its own ham radio call sign.

Interesting idea. I'm surprised Kingsong has not commented more on this issue recently. 

I don't see any new reports at FW 1.11, so looks like they fixed it. Interestingly enough, I was using a "special" initial release of 1.10 with the "reset fix" in it, but have not had another lock up since. So, I suspect they also did something else in the FW. We will probably never know. As long as it works! And...I'm NOT upgrading to FW 1.11. 

On 10/24/2018 at 2:38 AM, yar said:

KS-18L is the first Kingsong wheel that has its telescopic handle electrically connected to the weight sensor, which in turn must be connected to the controller.

There is no electric connection between telescopic handle and lift sensor circuit. Although telescopic handle is connected galvanically with sensor frame, actual sensing element is isolated from the frame.

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Seba said:

There is no electric connection between telescopic handle and lift sensor circuit. Although telescopic handle is connected galvanically with sensor frame, actual sensing element is isolated from the frame.

Thanks, that's important to know. Are you sure the telescopic handle is indeed isolated from all wires in the sensor cable, with and without the pressure applied to the handle? Unfortunately, I only thought about checking it after putting the wheel together again and gluing back the side pad.

Edited by yar

• 3 weeks later...

There is encouraging news!
It seems that Kingsong discovered the reason for blocking 18L. Most likely the problem arises due to external electromagnetic radiation of electrical devices when combined with static electricity from clothes. I think that in the near future we can wait for recommendations to correct this problem.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vicky Huang said:

All users who has this problem,please contact with your local dealer,can solve for you!Kingsong has found the solution !Need to add anti-static electric tape inside the KS-18L.

Great another Kingsong rep?I just saw you profile.  

I really like that Kingsong is interacting with the community here. 

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I really like that Kingsong is interacting with the community here. 

US69 has had enough ; )

Anyway, I will be extremely happy if this solution resolves the issue once and for all.

Edited by hal2000

2 hours ago, hal2000 said:

US69 has had enough ; )

Anyway, I will be extremely happy if this solution resolves the issue once and for all.

I take you are just joking about @US69 ?

On 11/29/2018 at 12:33 AM, Vicky Huang said:

All users who has this problem,please contact with your local dealer,can solve for you!Kingsong has found the solution !Need to add anti-static electric tape inside the KS-18L.

Just got my 18L last week, how do I know if I need to add anti-static tape?

My wheel version is KS18 L2 D

Edited by Topkek
Added wheel details
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hal2000 said:

US69 has had enough ; ) 

Sometimes not far away from the truth :-)

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Unventor said:

Vicky is in the Sales Team in China and a Long KS Team member...

• 1 month later...

Well, my XL just locked up on me while trolleying into work this morning. LEDs and motor froze, but I was able to power off, then back on really quick. I immediately went to disable the lift sensor function. Then, reinstalled latest app from KS website and checked the stats. Everything reads as normal. Should I be worried? Do I need to open it up and do anything, or with the lift sensor disabled, will I be ok? Thx! 

• Like 1

Well I heard from Jason, (and Ulf). He mentioned that I should do the sensor calibration. Reading through this thread had me very worried about control board and battery health, but sounds like it's a minor thing, and I can put my mind at ease...Ulf was also very helpful and knowledgeable. 🙏👌🏻

• Like 1

Funny, I had the same thing happen to me Wednesday. Firmware 1.11 on my XL. While trolleying through a store.

Concerningly, I had noticed earlier that the store seemed to have a lot of static- got a few nasty shocks off shelves beforehand, but didn't think about the wheel...

Works fine for now, but if I suddenly stop posting and there's a news story about an EUC fire in LA, you know what happened.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mimir said:

Works fine for now, but if I suddenly stop posting and there's a news story about an EUC fire in LA, you know what happened.

It would be a first. Did the firmware shut the wheel down as it is designed to do in this instance?

21 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

It would be a first. Did the firmware shut the wheel down as it is designed to do in this instance?

Wheel didn't lock up, it just powered the motor off entirely- so, yeah- and the LED ring displayed two non-consecutive red lights (not a part of the normal pattern)

• Like 1