Jump to content
esaj

!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Whoa, dude. Order the decaf next time. 

Thats funny because i really enjoy caffeinated (WHOA the spell check does not recognize that word) coffee and i drink too much everyday.

@US69 yes i did understand from the start that you where exaggerating just to prove a point, i just asked because to me, fixing this with a reboot, and after the wheel is (as far as i understand) working normally, makes my skepticism grow a little bit, i am not accusing anybody of telling white lies, i just want some things to make sense.

And i think we have established that all wheels can cut out at any given point of time, explaining the reason behind this specific failure clearly, ie. open communication, one could narrow down the root cause of face plant while on the ground picking up ones teeth.

Edited by Rob Valley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

did understand from the start that you where exaggerating just to prove a point, i just asked because to me, fixing this with a reboot, and after the wheel is (as far as i understand) working normally, makes my skepticism grow a little bit, i am not accusing anybody of telling white lies, i just want some things to make sense.

Give me a day time...i am just waiting for an answer from KS China, regarding the lock issue, which i should receive tomorrow.

Other than that i dont know why a reboot shouldn't fix the Problem, it is the same as unplugging the battery. And i doubt that anybody of us has enough Knowledge of Firmware and Hardware interaction to make this something suspicious. Admitting that they have done a bad Job on Hardware QC...i mean it can't get worse for KS, so i also see no Point in lying About that.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

Thats funny because i really enjoy caffeinated (WHOA the spell check does not recognize that word) coffee and i drink too much everyday.

Spellcheck sucks for not recognizing that word. ?"Whoa" has been around since the days of the U.S. westward expansion. It's what the cowboys on the prairies would say to their ? when they wanted it to stop. "Giddyup" is what they would say to get the horse going ??.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

Actually it accepts the word WHOA just fine :) i was talking about the word "Caffeinated" .

@US69  Sounds good, and also you should know, i do really think you have started a good movement in the world of EUC by becoming a social media spokesperson, this is truly, what we and KS, needed.

Peace.

Oh,  OK. I get it now. My bad. I misunderstood. That seems to be starting to happen more since I hit 50 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Thanks to v1.11, at least this new occasion allows him to continue to use his wheel while he awaits his replacement board - sucks to have to replace it again though. There is one of those in every assembly line, and unfortunately, @TomOnWheels got it. Sorry,  dude. Fingers crossed that it is the last time for you man. 

Thanks @Lutalo. Sure I will be happy not to experience it again but this is an early adopters life :-) Will definitely let you know if that happens again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

Thanks @Lutalo. Sure I will be happy not to experience it again but this is an early adopters life :-) Will definitely let you know if that happens again. 

Yeah, I think that us early adopters at least have some idea of what we are getting into; nevertheless, we lean upon our high hopes always. ☺?

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

So, I followed up with @US69 recommendation to check with my seller about my 18L controller board replacement after my 2 lock ups.

This is taking awhile...but working with seller.

(deleting all the blurb I posted)

On the plus side, I have a unit, have been riding it, it seems to work.

On the negative side (all the blurb above)....early adopter fun!

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I was trolleying the KS18L, when it started to violently shake back and forth, about an inch each direction. I had to quickly try to press the off button, took me about four seconds to switch it off. After several minutes I switched it on and was riding without problems. This happened in a metro station, while I was walking through a corridor there, maybe there were some electrical machines behind the corridor's wall?

The sad thing is, handle now is much more loose than it was before, as the wheel was trying to go both ways during the incident.

 

What was that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eufp said:

Today I was trolleying the KS18L, when it started to violently shake back and forth, about an inch each direction. I had to quickly try to press the off button, took me about four seconds to switch it off. After several minutes I switched it on and was riding without problems. This happened in a metro station, while I was walking through a corridor there, maybe there were some electrical machines behind the corridor's wall?

The sad thing is, handle now is much more loose than it was before, as the wheel was trying to go both ways during the incident.

 

What was that?

Usually a shake like that is because of a loose mainboard, but having read about the bad/cold soldering confirmed by KS on one (or few?) 18L mainboards, I’d contact your seller for a replacement. That is not something a healthy wheel would ever do.

Which firmware is your 18L running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Usually a shake like that is because of a loose mainboard, but having read about the bad/cold soldering confirmed by KS on one (or few?) 18L mainboards, I’d contact your seller for a replacement. That is not something a healthy wheel would ever do.

Which firmware is your 18L running? 

Thanks for the quick reply. I will contact the seller, thank you. As for firmware, the wheel is on 1.11 version.

Now I think whether it is safe to ride. The wheel was shaking so wildly that I could barely keep a grip on it.

EDIT: paging @US69, as I can't send a message " US69 cannot receive messages.". Is this shake a "lock" or is it something else? Do you have more info about the nature of the problem? Thank you.

Edited by eufp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since getting the failure last week, I'm still waiting on an update from Speedyfeet RE a new control board (he is not fast at responding these days, I think they need more staff!). 

I haven't ridden the wheel in the meantime but am going to take it out for a test today.

On putting the side panels and LEDs back yesterday, the battery level is no longer showing on the LEDs like it did before when the wheel is stationary. They're just completely off now. The LED patterns still work so the LEDs clearly are still functional. Has anyone else experienced this after a lock-up or is it a known bug with the new firmware? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LewisF said:

Since getting the failure last week, I'm still waiting on an update from Speedyfeet RE a new control board (he is not fast at responding these days, I think they need more staff!). 

I haven't ridden the wheel in the meantime but am going to take it out for a test today.

On putting the side panels and LEDs back yesterday, the battery level is no longer showing on the LEDs like it did before when the wheel is stationary. They're just completely off now. The LED patterns still work so the LEDs clearly are still functional. Has anyone else experienced this after a lock-up or is it a known bug with the new firmware? 

New firmware feature.  It is called stealth mode.  You can turn it back on if you want it to display battery when stationary.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

New firmware feature.  It is called stealth mode.  You can turn it back on if you want it to display battery when stationary.  

but you will have to ride with all circus light on if you want this :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

New firmware feature.  It is called stealth mode.  You can turn it back on if you want it to display battery when stationary.  

Thanks for explaining - Glad to know nothing is broken :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 12:01 AM, eufp said:

Today I was trolleying the KS18L, when it started to violently shake back and forth, about an inch each direction. I had to quickly try to press the off button, took me about four seconds to switch it off. After several minutes I switched it on and was riding without problems. This happened in a metro station, while I was walking through a corridor there, maybe there were some electrical machines behind the corridor's wall?

The sad thing is, handle now is much more loose than it was before, as the wheel was trying to go both ways during the incident.

 

What was that?

Shaking KS-18L was reproduced here in Belarus on Sunday, too. The difference that the wheel was not trolleyed but was standing still while turned on for about 5 mins. Once touched it a tarted to oscillate, then was lifted on the side, to trigger sage mode and turned off. Never reproduced then.

Edited by WaveCut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WaveCut said:

Shaking KS-18L was reproduced here in Belarus on Sunday, too. The difference that the wheel was not trolleyed but was standing still while turned on for about 5 mins. Once touched it a tarted to oscillate, then was lifted on the side, to trigger sage mode and turned off. Never reproduced then.

Thanks for the information! I am still waiting on the info from my seller, and maybe some people here can share their findings too. So your post is very much appreciated.

My unicycle was riding in metro for about 14 minutes, with trolley up, by my side, then I trolleyed it from the metro cab and started walking it down the metro station and into the corridor. Then the shake started.

I had (and still have) the lift sensor disabled in app, if this helps something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, eufp said:

Thanks for the information! I am still waiting on the info from my seller, and maybe some people here can share their findings too. So your post is very much appreciated.

My unicycle was riding in metro for about 14 minutes, with trolley up, by my side, then I trolleyed it from the metro cab and started walking it down the metro station and into the corridor. Then the shake started.

I had (and still have) the lift sensor disabled in app, if this helps something.

Sorry for your trouble. What version of the firmware are you running? Disregard. I just read your earlier post. I see that you are running v1.11.

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, eufp said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I will contact the seller, thank you. As for firmware, the wheel is on 1.11 version.

Now I think whether it is safe to ride. The wheel was shaking so wildly that I could barely keep a grip on it.

EDIT: paging @US69, as I can't send a message " US69 cannot receive messages.". Is this shake a "lock" or is it something else? Do you have more info about the nature of the problem? Thank you.

Sorry...i had to clean up my PM Inbox...was 100% full :-(

For you lock...you have to get to Speedyfeet...it is no Firmware failure and has Nothing todo with the handle sensor.

 

For anything else: As i am still without Internet at Home and mobile as my gf sucks up our contract to our Provider i am still only for short times able to go online at my main Job.

As you hopefully understand i cant do to much private - KS related stuff there. Sorry for that. Latest end of this/begin of next week i should be totally back to normal.

Nonetheless i will work up all Questions and all threads where i have been mentioned as soon as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, US69 said:

For you lock...you have to get to Speedyfeet...it is no Firmware failure and has Nothing todo with the handle sensor.

Thank you for the reply and explanation, I am still patiently waiting for a reply from Speedyfeet. And I cautiously ride in the park at minimum speeds every day, afraid of the wheel to kick me off any second :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 11:01 PM, eufp said:

Today I was trolleying the KS18L, when it started to violently shake back and forth, about an inch each direction. I had to quickly try to press the off button, took me about four seconds to switch it off. After several minutes I switched it on and was riding without problems. This happened in a metro station, while I was walking through a corridor there, maybe there were some electrical machines behind the corridor's wall?

The sad thing is, handle now is much more loose than it was before, as the wheel was trying to go both ways during the incident.

What was that?

Today it happened for the second time. I rode to IKEA—3,7 km. Then I was trolleying the wheel through the isle near mattrasses (not that it matters), about 3-4 minutes after I arrived to the shop—the wheel started to violently shake/oscilate again. Took me about 6 seconds of pressing the button to switch it off. Tore some skin from the finger in the process, as the metal edge around button was violently vibrating. Needless to say a lot of people around were staring at the situation. Does not help the perception of a "safe" transport device.

I dread it could happen while I am driving it. Since it happened first time, I am driving in an anticipation of the fall. Tell myself where I would fall if it starts to shake, hands always in front, and choose paths where there are no cars or other dangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eufp said:

Today it happened for the second time. I rode to IKEA—3,7 km. Then I was trolleying the wheel through the isle near mattrasses (not that it matters), about 3-4 minutes after I arrived to the shop—the wheel started to violently shake/oscilate again. Took me about 6 seconds of pressing the button to switch it off. Tore some skin from the finger in the process, as the metal edge around button was violently vibrating. Needless to say a lot of people around were staring at the situation. Does not help the perception of a "safe" transport device.

I dread it could happen while I am driving it. Since it happened first time, I am driving in an anticipation of the fall. Tell myself where I would fall if it starts to shake, hands always in front, and choose paths where there are no cars or other dangers.

Personally I would ship it back to dealer and let the dealer deal with it until they can say it is clear of any faulths. As of how the dealer do this is a matter between the dealer and manufacturer in this case Kingsong. As a customer I would want a statement of how they claim the unit is faulth-free. 

As you state it has to do with users safety.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eufp said:

Today it happened for the second time. I rode to IKEA—3,7 km. Then I was trolleying the wheel through the isle near mattrasses (not that it matters), about 3-4 minutes after I arrived to the shop—the wheel started to violently shake/oscilate again. Took me about 6 seconds of pressing the button to switch it off. Tore some skin from the finger in the process, as the metal edge around button was violently vibrating. Needless to say a lot of people around were staring at the situation. Does not help the perception of a "safe" transport device.

I dread it could happen while I am driving it. Since it happened first time, I am driving in an anticipation of the fall. Tell myself where I would fall if it starts to shake, hands always in front, and choose paths where there are no cars or other dangers.

 

48 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Personally I would ship it back to dealer and let the dealer deal with it until they can say it is clear of any faulths. As of how the dealer do this is a matter between the dealer and manufacturer in this case Kingsong. As a customer I would want a statement of how they claim the unit is faulth-free. 

As you state it has to do with users safety.

Right!  Don't mess with safety.  You better Call them directly if you have not got an email reply yet.  Box it up, and ship it back. Sounds like the same issue they have been claiming is fixed, but without taking it apart there is no way to say for sure and they may not have the original issue in the bottle yet as they believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eufp sounds very similar to what would happen with my first 16S, it had a bad controller board. After replacing board I had 1300 miles on it without any issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 10:34 PM, TomOnWheels said:

Ok so today i was shopping and trolleyinng my KS around. And after 5 minutes is start to shake like a crazy ! I had to press power button to stop/start the wheel.

I see you also had the same problem. How was it solved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×