!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

8 hours ago, em1barns said:

Any idea from which construction date these new lights were implemented?

Sorry no idea. I asked my seller and he asked Kingsong Italy. They are sending new lights to the resellers, so they knew about this issue

1 hour ago, TomOnWheels said:

Another lock for me today ! 3rd one ! Definitely this wheel hate shopping ! It happens in the shop where I initially bought my KS18L ! 

But as I have the latest firmware, the behaviour was different this time:   I can confirm that KS worked on that and now instead of having a lock and the wheel becoming very hot and needing battery to be disconnected, it simply shut-off...  And after I've pressed the power button it was back to normal :-)

Great.... sorry for you and to learn that  bug is still present... but happy to read that 1.11 does its  work !B)

Edited by zugu
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nute said:

I’m still undecided on updating to 1.10. Up to this point I’m not using trolley or the lift sensor but I might just bite the bullet and see what happens :wacko:

Trolley and lif sensor are great comodities add on.. when they work the right way;)

Now... with 1.11 and its feature that just in case avoid us to be forced to use the screwdriver :lol: its better to give it a chance ;)

@TomOnWheels Good news and bad news. At least the FW patch does what it supposed to. I would say overall that is excellent news.

I am running on "special app" FW 1.10 (which is supposed to have the same feature). Since the LED issue has been reported, I am holding off on 1.11 and continuing as-is.

No 3rd lock up for me yet.

I Dont know if iv missed some information, but looking at the situation right now, i think it would be time again to ask @US69 if there is any news regarding the topic?

Yes yes i know you will tell us as soon as you know, but given the situation right now, i think im entitled to ask.

So either;
1. KS is fixing a bad solder with software, which would be absolutely amazing.
2. it was not the root cause to the problem to begin with

maby third option, they disable the use of the chrystal, but either way. some more info would be nice.

@Rob Valley I've already stated my opinion to him about the "crystal solder issue". I have been out the door on many a cold mornings and every day leave my work from an air conditioned building (keep in mind "cold" here is 75F). Never had a lock up while riding. I still suspect it has something to do with trolly mode only. The latest FW patch is VERY reassuring with @TomOnWheels confirmation that it works.

12 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

My new problem with 18L...no idea if it is solveable... :( Please help me guys, the handle is unusable... One side does not stay in place..

i had the same problem, i ended up taking the trolley apart, found that one of the locking mechanism had come of, and fixed it with crazy glue.

at the same time i also found 1 wire that was damaged badly between the shell when it had been assembled in facory(presumably) the connection was still good though but somebody in assembly has been picking their nose

( its thin red wire going to the motor, so im guessing its the temperature)

and also i found that on one of the trolley sensor, the glue for the screw was about to brake, so i made sure it wouldnt, still need to check up on that ofcourse.

i was almost about to ship the wheel back on these 2 manufacturing defects, but you DIY guys know why i didnt. 

i had so much faith in KS quality, that i took the wheel from a distant supplier, so sending it back is more trouble than the fixes are, but next time i definetely make sure i can easily ship it back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

i had the same problem, i ended up taking the trolley apart, found that one of the locking mechanism had come of, and fixed it with crazy glue.

at the same time i also found 1 wire that was damaged badly between the shell when it had been assembled in facory(presumably) the connection was still good though but somebody in assembly has been picking their nose

( its thin red wire going to the motor, so im guessing its the temperature)

and also i found that on one of the trolley sensor, the glue for the screw was about to brake, so i made sure it wouldnt, still need to check up on that ofcourse.

i was almost about to ship the wheel back on these 2 manufacturing defects, but you DIY guys know why i didnt. 

i had so much faith in KS quality, that i took the wheel from a distant supplier, so sending it back is more trouble than the fixes are, but next time i definetely make sure i can easily ship it back.

How do I take apart the trolley? I cant realixe how to do that :( thank you!

17 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

How do I take apart the trolley? I cant realixe how to do that :( thank you!

ok i dont have time right now to go into too much details, but ill give you a quick break-down...  and you should make sure you have replacement for the rivets you have to brake, i used two M3x35mm(or something similiar) bolts with locking nuts (you have to make sure the can fit back in, and they only go one way)

So you remove the grey hande poles -> take of the handle from the top, remove the straps, take out the poles, remove the sensors.
The when you are done you have to brake the rivet in the bottom, and take the pin out, afterwards you can slide the smaller poles out from the bottom (also press in the locking pins)

You will find 2 locking/spring mechanism in each set of poles, one of yours in the failing handle, you can probably see it is not in position. i had a look att all of them while i was at it, just to be sure.

I Added crazy glue to each one in the bottom of the part before putting it back in, and also where the white plastic sleeve is doing some "securing", so that the module does not come loose.

and i dont know but crazy glue might not hold indefinetly, i was thinking of glue that could be more elastic(epoxy)
 but i didnt have it around at the time.

Edited by Rob Valley

On 9/5/2018 at 8:22 PM, Arek12127 said:

After replacing the front with rear lamps and vice versa the broken one still has poor brightness.

The same happened to my KS18L today - front light lost about 95% of its original brightness on my way from work to home... I had to use my phone flashlight to illuminate road in front of me. Fortunately, I know this road by heart. Here is comparision between the lamp that just failed and the lamp that is normally not used in white mode.

IMG_20180906_203437.jpg.0072a4b9240f1f96255da6a2e53cf3c3.jpg

Edited by Seba

On 9/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, Circuitmage said:

@nrvfromcnr Did you do it yourself or did the dealer replace it? My seller has not indicated I need a new controller board yet, so I still have original.

On my side I reported to the seller (KS Europe) the temperature that the bord reached, and shared with him that I don't feel secure to ride the board anymore. Plus, the motherboard smells like it overheated anyways... I now have a brand new motherboard and enjoys the ride again on my lovely 18L :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nrvfromcnr said:

On my side I reported to the seller (KS Europe) the temperature that the bord reached, and shared with him that I don't feel secure to ride the board anymore. Plus, the motherboard smells like it overheated anyways... I now have a brand new motherboard and enjoys the ride again on my lovely 18L :)

They have to change it if you had a lock !

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the wheel lock-up issue about an 1.5 hours ago while trolleying around supermarket.

I think my firmware was about 2 versions from latest, although I'm not sure as app is unable to connect right now.

The supermarket wasn't too close to home so took me time to wait for taxi and get back.

Frustratingly I have been unable to get into the wheel to disconnect batteries due to a couple of screw heads being shredded on both sides. I've got into the unit fine before (due to puncture) and am using a well-fitted screw-driver, but the screws seem cheap, incredibly soft and prone to the heads stripping, even if the screwdriver just slips for a moment.

So the unit is still sat there now locked up & hot - I have no choice but to leave it until battery (which was almost fully charged) has depleted. I'm totally gutted & worried this will have caused/be causing permanent damage to the unit. Infuriating that such an expensive product could be released with such a big issue related to a peripheral feature (lift sensor) that doesn't work properly anyway. I have otherwise been so happy with this wheel.

@US69 - Do you know if the lock-up (if not stopped quickly by disconnecting the batteries) can cause permanent damage/degradation to the wheel?

Edited by LewisF
mistakes

Quick update: I've managed to get into the unit (by drilling out the 2 dodgy screws) and have disconnected the battery on both sides. So it was in locked & hot state for almost 4 hours! I'm going to let it cool down then will try reconnecting the battery to see if the thing is still alive...

Thanks v.much for the tips @Lutalo - they are extremely helpful.

Yes I tried to contact the dealer (Speedyfeet) straight away but with it being Sunday there's no response, so I will be trying again first thing tomorrow. 

The commiseration and support here certainly soften the blow of having the wheel go out of action for the time being, so thanks :-)

Do you happen to know if the casing screws are pretty common and easy to come by? After that operation, I will need a couple of new ones!

Edited by LewisF
  • Like 1

Just now, LewisF said:

Thanks v.much for the tips @Lutalo - they are extremely helpful.

Yes I tried to contact the dealer (Speedyfeet) straight away but with it being Sunday there's no response, so I will be trying again first thing tomorrow. 

The commiseration and support here certainly soften the blow of having the wheel go out of action for the time being, so thanks :-)

Do you happen to know is the casing screws are pretty common and easy to come by? After that operation, I will need a couple of new ones!

Talking with those who can empathize and sympathize through shared experience does indeed help turn a knockout punch into a glancing blow.

Local hardware store should have suitable replacements in stock. I don't know whether or not you are in the U.S. , but, I use Ace Hardware, Home Depot,  or Lowe's. Personally, I seem to have the best luck at Ace Hardware for replacement screws; not sure why, as HD and Lowe's are larger chains, I just flow the path of least resistance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Talking with those who can empathize and sympathize through shared experience does indeed help turn a knockout punch into a glancing blow.

Local hardware store should have suitable replacements in stock. I don't know whether or not you are in the U.S. , but, I use Ace Hardware, Home Depot,  or Lowe's. Personally, I seem to have the best luck at Ace Hardware for replacement screws; not sure why, as HD and Lowe's are larger chains, I just flow the path of least resistance. 

Agreed, I'm feeling a bit less miserable about it already! With the wheel being my daily commuter, the prospect of not having it for a while is a bit of a downer. Amazing how we come to rely on these things!    

That's a relief to hear the screws shouldn't be hard to come by. I'm UK-based so different stores here - I'll be going on a hunt for them in the week.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LewisF said:

Agreed, I'm feeling a bit less miserable about it already! With the wheel being my daily commuter, the prospect of not having it for a while is a bit of a downer. Amazing how we come to rely on these things!    

That's a relief to hear the screws shouldn't be hard to come by. I'm UK-based so different stores here - I'll be going on a hunt for them in the week.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cool. Yeah, the UK equivalents of Ace, HD, or Lowe's should have them. My 18L was missing 2 of the outer shell screws located underneath the top pads. Since I am kind of OCD about that sort of stuff, I was compelled to go shopping; I found them easily. 

• Like 1