!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

On 8/27/2018 at 4:48 PM, joku said:

Wow, maybe it is a hardware issue. Maybe try and reinstall the trolley sensors so that everything is flush and not too tight? You shouldn't have to do it in the first place, but at this point, you're the best at recreating the issue - maybe you can solve it.

I havent seen the sensor, but if it has two wires and only two wires, I would remove the sensor from the circuit and solder those wires together and electrical tape it .

On 8/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, esaj said:

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I think they mean the oscillator for the MCU, ie. the external component creating the clock signal for the MCU? Unless there are several oscillators on the board.

EDIT: Assuming they follow the typical marking conventions (Y = crystal) and have running numbers for the components, there's at least 2 crystal oscillators there (Y2 seen in the picture, there's bound to be Y1 somewhere, might be more):

Monokoleso-Kingsong-KS-18L-58.JPG

Under the large chip marked U1 (probably an MCU) near the center of the picture.

If thats the case then with a heavy duty dryer or industrial blow dryer the ball grid solders could be reheated and remelted for loose contacts.

26 minutes ago, sb3en said:

I havent seen the sensor, but if it has two wires and only two wires, I would remove the sensor from the circuit and solder those wires together and electrical tape it .

It's a strain gauge (load cell), as seen in the EcoDrift review pictures:

Monokoleso-Kingsong-KS-18L-49.JPG

So the measurement is more complex, don't know how they exactly do it in this case, but the slight bending of the "lip" in the gauge causes a change in resistance, which is then measured through a sensitive amplifier (such as HX-711, which is specifically a "load cell amplifier" with ADC, but I don't know what they use in the KS's).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, phatmike said:

I just did 20 KM with the new firmware. Something changed here!   I feel the wheel more aggressive in acceleration and braking. 

Can you turn the wheel on and then connect the charger and see if the motor stays engaged?

12 hours ago, phatmike said:

I just did 20 KM with the new firmware. Something changed here!   I feel the wheel more aggressive in acceleration and braking. 

Great B) so the update IS a Must...:D

14 hours ago, phatmike said:

You are sure it has not shifted in ride mode? I didn't feel any different on my 16 km ride yesterday just after I did my update. But then again it was a "new" track I only have do parts of before. 

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

You are sure it has not shifted in ride mode? I didn't feel any different on my 16 km ride yesterday just after I did my update. But then again it was a "new" track I only have do parts of before. 

I tried all the ride modes

Today I'll try my favorite path ( with a really big downhill) to have a confirmation of my first impression

• Like 3

I can confirm my first impression, expecially on braking, the wheel is more aggressive. Another thing that I did not notice is that the light in the front lost some brightness ( I don’t know if is firmware related). If I go backward the other light is bright as usual. Very annoyng. How I can fix it? Moving the mudguard to the other side????

Edited by phatmike
  • Upvote 1

In my case also after uploading fw1.11 and about 40km the light lost some brightness. 

The lamp had blinking randomly few minutes and lost brightness permanently.

Unfortunately, probably the lamp module has been damaged, the diode is very like overheated due to too high current.

Hold back with upgrade to fw1.11.

1 hour ago, phatmike said:

I can confirm my first impression, expecially on braking, the wheel is more aggressive. Another thing that I did not notice is that the light in the front lost some brightness ( I don’t know if is firmware related). If I go backward the other light is bright as usual. Very annoyng. How I can fix it? Moving the mudguard to the other side????

Oh same here ! Front light is very weak ! I was thinking that there is something wrong with LEDs and was about to dismount my wheel again for checking...

@Arek12127 Good to know. Will hold off.

Update: 1.10 still good for me. Not many miles since I updated, but using lift more. Lift still not working 100%, but when it does I feel special. :)

I see very little in the way of new people stating any trolly lock up issues...so that bodes well this week.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I see very little in the way of new people stating any trolly lock up issues...so that bodes well this week.

It happended to me 5 days ago with FW 1.10 in case you missed it ;)

The after-sales service has a motherboard for replacement, it shouldn't take too long ...

Edited by nrvfromcnr

On 9/1/2018 at 10:10 PM, TomOnWheels said:

Oh same here ! Front light is very weak ! I was thinking that there is something wrong with LEDs and was about to dismount my wheel again for checking...

The new lights now have a heat sink to prevent from over heating.  On the left the new light.

40661155_10217382019881535_8860891275407130624_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

someone not so long ago wrote about the wheel losing balance at a intersection, while waiting for green light.

well i had a similiar incident just now, while waiting, i was calmly idling back and forth, and on the way forth the wheel gave 2 quick beebs(just like when lifting it) and momenterely(microseconds)lost balance, just so i could feel the loss of power but still remained balanced.

afterwards i rode 20km no problemo.

i think the trolley is a real troll.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

...part.

i think the trolley is a real troll.

I really think so....

Using the trolley up and down up and down and apply sometimes a lever force ..it became the week point that create unaspected bugs   .... a week and light mechanical o    Part....:(

Even in released position it can create false contacts that can innes  conduct to beeps in loosing balance :rolleyes:

Edited by zugu

I Bet there is a little bit of pull on the sensors becouse of the deformation of the shell when standing on it.
And the sensors go into a pretty tight slit, so even the slightest bend in the shell would make the sensor values jump.

so better programming could solve this.

I Remember seeing some videos how to correctly install the trolley, anybody know where it is?

1 hour ago, Rob Valley said:

I Bet there is a little bit of pull on the sensors becouse of the deformation of the shell when standing on it.
And the sensors go into a pretty tight slit, so even the slightest bend in the shell would make the sensor values jump.

so better programming could solve this.

I Remember seeing some videos how to correctly install the trolley, anybody know where it is?

You mean this video?

7 hours ago, phatmike said:

The new lights now have a heat sink to prevent from over heating.  On the left the new light.

40661155_10217382019881535_8860891275407130624_n.jpg

My lights have a heat sink but despite this the front one lost its brightness as i wrote earlier.

After replacing the front with rear lamps and vice versa the broken one still has poor brightness.

• Upvote 1