!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

After firmware upgraded to 1.10 and lift sensor calibration everything was good until I faced the following strange issue with the Lift stop rotating sensor. 

The sensor turns off the wheel fm time to time when I step on the left pedal. 

I have calibrated it a few times, calibrations passed good and it works when I lift the wheel.

It looks like the housing is not of enough strength and some inner deformation leads to that malfunction.

Can not say for sure when it appeared - after upgrade or it was fm the very beginning as this function was switched off before.

59 minutes ago, US69 said:

when you do the calibration, please make sure that, when the handle is down (before lifting up the wheel), you really have pushed it down to the max possible position....

Otherwise: if this situation doesn’t change, please contact your seller! A manual calibration inside the wheel is needed than, semas the screws around sensor/rod are to firm..

Have done a few more calibrations, the last done with the handle little depressed down by hand. And next I did not get this problem for the while. Unfortunately I'm too far away fm the seller, abt 2000 km. Can you guide me step by step how to calibrate it manually inside and firm the screws around sensor/rod. I have already seen video how to do that, just to make sure that I understand it true.

34 minutes ago, Evgeniy said:

Have done a few more calibrations, the last done with the handle little depressed down by hand. And next I did not get this problem for the while. Unfortunately I'm too far away fm the seller, abt 2000 km. Can you guide me step by step how to calibrate it manually inside and firm the screws around sensor/rod. I have already seen video how to do that, just to make sure that I understand it true.

I really would please you to do this with your seller...

Sorry, i am no technican, and i dont wont to be the culprit for doing something wrong. From MY perspective it seams that the rod is screwed on a little bit to hard, so that it doesnt have a chance to move enough, so that the slighly movement of your shell triggers yhe sensor! But again, i dont want to interfere with your seller whatsoever. hopefully you understand!

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

All would be so much easier if people with issue report to their dealer and all other that have a perfect working wheel stop writhing about what if the guy next doors sister heard about someone the town I another country had an issue with a wheels.....are seeing what I am coming at here? If you have an issue report it, because some sneezes it is not the same as they have Ebola. 

And yes I seem to be the only one with a working wheel in this thread...really!!! 

Well to be fair this the thread about lock-ups while trolleying, so I'm not surprised that a lot of comments talk about failing wheels. That doesn't mean that this is representative of KS18L owners at large - I expect that the majority of KS18L owners are happily speeding along with their wheel with nary a worry.

Edited by Nils

There was a new lock up report in Russia today - in a supermarket again. Not verified yet, but it reportedly happened to a newer batch "Rhino" tyre wheel. It's very sad news, that means this can happen to just any wheel and there's still no idea what causes that.

7 minutes ago, tim716 said:

There was a new lock up report in Russia today - in a supermarket again. Not verified yet, but it reportedly happened to a newer batch "Rhino" tyre wheel. It's very sad news, that means this can happen to just any wheel and there's still no idea what causes that.

Unverified information doesn't mean anything.

2 hours ago, tim716 said:

Now I am starting to wonder, does it have anything to do with the anti theft sensors at supermarkets and malls?  Maybe the RFID is messing up the wheels?  I have had shopping carts lock up on me for no apparent reason, as soon as I went out the door.  (and no, I wasn't trying to steal food without paying)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tim716 said:

Tyre changed between batch 1 and 2?

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, tim716 said:

Yep. According to the photos published now, it was a 18l from the first batch, non- “Rhino». Sorry. The lock up is confirmed though.

Thanks for the clarification….faster than me :-)

I placed my ks18l order through a local distributor in the middle of June, the serial number of both motor and control board also state 19th and 20th. I received it on 30th of June.

I don't know which batch of mine, it's comes with "ChaoYang" tire but also wrong direction.........

IMG_1705.jpg

56 minutes ago, em1barns said:

Interesting, my wheel is from July and it comes with Kendra tires. So I guess tire brand is customizable by local distributor.

Same here. I got mine from ewheels.com

On YouTube saw Micheal Rada got the Issue filmed while training the wheel with two children's. .. from Minutes 2:15 ....:unsure:

:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, zugu said:

On YouTube saw Micheal Rada got the Issue filmed while training the wheel with two children's. .. from Minutes 2:15 ....:unsure:

:facepalm:

This is very very very interesting ! First time actually the issue is filmed ! Note something important: kids are seating on the trolley. That for sure stress quite a lot the sensor. Another theory, just theory, please do not take it as granted: From what I saw when dismounting the wheel and adjusting sensors, it seems to be piezzo-sensors. When calibrated, sensors are suppose to have a max and min resistance that is stored by frimware. Then with some algorithms it can detect the position and the force applied to the trolley. What if a kid seat on the trolley and is under min/max value ? Is it possible that in this case the algo has some values that result in division by zero or some negative value where the firmware is designed to store it as positive integer ? @US69can you maybe suggest to KS to do a stress test on the sensors... For example: calibrate (get min/max value stored by controller) and then when firmware is balancing mode (simulating a user driving the wheel) apply some over max/min values to the sensor inputs...