!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

On 8/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, Circuitmage said:

@US69 Thanks for the summary. One thing though, after my 2 lock-ups I was asked to upgrade to the "newer" 1.07 about 10 days ago (which I did). I contacted my seller yesterday to ask about upgrading further, as more FW releases have been made. No word back yet. I have not been asked to send it back/replace controller board.

For me, (lock ups at ~40km and 100km), I am now at 255km. It is a very comfortable wheel, so outlook good for me on the FW fix, but will be much more secure if I hit the 500km mark without issue.

Sorry, but  i cant speak for ewheels...

Seams he is very busy in the moment. Can you write him -again- and please ask about how to go on? I dont know about his specific arrangements with KS, Sorry again....

1 hour ago, Juick said:

:crying::crying::crying: 

Noooo, my KS18L is affected too.

Damn I feel your pain. Sounds more and more like hardware issues. 

Perhaps first batch teething issues @US69

Hope it’s resolved asap

Edited by Siggy

2 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

@Juick And have you tried to restart it?

You mean when it froze? It was unresponsive to the power button. I pressed it shortly and tried for longer too, but nothing. After I reconnected batteries it can be turned on again, but is almost dischared, it yells at me to charge it up.

2 minutes ago, Siggy said:

Damn I feel your pain. Sounds more and like a hardware issue. 

Perhaps first batch teething issues @US69

Hope it’s resolved asap

Afaik...again...afaik Ian gets his wheels by boat, and not by air plane. Which would mean it was produced 4-6 weeks before 23.7.

So i would !suspect! this wheel to be one of the first produced wheels, first batch, also.....

1. What I can tell you all is that since I've changed the controller, I never had this issue again... I trolley my wheel for kms and no issue at all... I pay a lot of attention to the sensor calibration. I use the sensor all the time, and since it is calibrated and with new firmware it works perfectly most of the time... To be honest, I was the first person here saying that it's a firmware crash because of the sensors being activated to many times but now I'm not sure anymore... I don't believe that it's the oscillator too... I'm still thinking that it's something about firmware crashing in a very very specific situation... That must be damn hard to reproduce for KS.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Juick said:

You mean when it froze? It was unresponsive to the power button. I pressed it shortly and tried for longer too, but nothing. After I reconnected batteries it can be turned on again, but is almost dischared, it yells at me to charge it up.

Yeah, while locking the wheel doesn’t respond at all, not by buttons, not by app!

After “reset” it should work again...but as said, please contact Ian, and if he isnt aware of the problem, ask him to contact KS, or even me if because of the “time barrier” he doesnt reach someone fast enough!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Juick said:

I meant after you disconnected the batteries (at least you knew what to do, I was just watching my wheel dying in my arms :( ).

Edited by hal2000
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:
  1. What I can tell you all is that since I've changed the controller, I never had this issue again... I trolley my wheel for kms and no issue at all... I pay a lot of attention to the sensor calibration. I use the sensor all the time, and since it is calibrated and with new firmware it works perfectly most of the time... To be honest, I was the first person here saying that it's a firmware crash because of the sensors being activated to many times but now I'm not sure anymore... I don't believe that it's the oscillator too... I'm still thinking that it's something about firmware crashing in a very very specific situation... That must be damn hard to reproduce for KS.

I dont want to start to speculate...but seeing this fault only on very early wheels...call it “first batch” if you want...i am personnaly more and more convinced its a hardware fault! 

Reasons: Its a -new- 84 Volt board...if it would be still in the firmware, and it would not be the sensor, all other KS would have this fault also! But they dont, never heard of a fault like that!

So iam very convinced its a hardware fault...especially as those who got their board change, never ever had problems again....

But again: That is my -personal- speculation!!!

I will inform you all as soon as any new facts come over from china!!

Edited by US69
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, US69 said:

I dont want to start to speculate...but seeing this fault only on very early wheels...call it “first batch” if you want...i am personnaly more and more convinced its a hardware fault! 

Reasons: Its a -new- 84 Volt board...if it would be still in the firmware, and it would not be the sensor, all other KS would have this fault also! But they dont, never heard of a fault like that!

So iam very convinced its a hardware fault...especially as those who got their board change, never ever had problems again....

But again: That is my -personal- speculation!!!

I will inform you all as soon as any new facts come over from china!!

Yes I know there is nothing sure about that, it's only speculations... So are my... The lock happens to me just about a 10 days after getting the wheel and the the board I got was not 100% new. It was already used (for a very short time) so probably the same as the orginal one on my wheel... I even compared both boards and there is no visible difference... Anyway, good look to KS with investigation...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

I meant after you disconnected the batteries (at least you knew what to do, I was just watching my wheel dying in my arms ;) ).

You wrote that you managed to disconnect the batteries after about 20m. Since then have you tried to restart it?

Yeah, when I turned it on, it tilted back and yelled very loudly "Low battery, please charge". In those 20min it drained battery from 2-3 led lights to zero. I'm charging now, first 10 minutes app displayed 0%, now it is going up.

13 minutes ago, US69 said:

as said, please contact Ian, and if he isnt aware of the problem, ask him to contact KS, or even me if because of the “time barrier” he doesnt reach someone fast enough!

Thank you for your support, I did what you advised and I'm waiting for response from Ian.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:18 PM, Nils said:

not talking about electrical motor sounds in general but a specific whining at a specific frequency that irks me personally (which from what I understand is much less with the K18L than with my old KS16).

Yes, that's my observation too: as far as the unpleasant 6kHz "whine" sound is considered,

KS16S is the loudest,

KS18S is very slightly quieter than KS16S,

KS18L is noticeably quieter than KS18S. The whine still exists, though – i.e. they improved the situation, but not yet the whole way.

I've heard from one guy who made KS18S engines silent by covering the motor coils with multiple layers of varnish which prevents the wires from oscillating with the magnetic field. It would be nice if any service centers would offer this kind of upgrade at a reasonable price, but would not hold my breath for it.

US69, in your conversation with Kingsong, could you please mention that some users are bothered by the 6kHz whine? Obviously Kingsong has other pressing issues right now, but it is worthy to remind them about the 6kHz once in a while.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, yar said:

I've heard from one guy who made KS18S engines silent by covering the motor coils with multiple layers of varnish which prevents the wires from oscillating with the magnetic field.

A local rider did exactly that to a new 16S a month or so ago, without a noticeable change in the sound. I wonder what’s up with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

A local rider did exactly that to a new 16S a month or so ago, without a noticeable change in the sound. I wonder what’s up with that.

It's because windings have much less contribution to BLDC motor noise. Most contributing factors are Maxwell forces and magnetostriction - both cause stator core (and consequently the whole motor) vibrations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Seba said:

It's because windings have much less contribution to BLDC motor noise. Most contributing factors are Maxwell forces and magnetostriction - both cause stator core (and consequently the whole motor) vibrations.

The question is why some people say the noise went away, and why I couldn’t hear a difference. Perhaps the local guy missed a step when doing the mod?

I don’t know what Maxwell forces or magnetostriction are, but they sound like something that would be present in any EUC. Yet, there is barely any audible whine with an MSX for example.

54 minutes ago, Kael said:

If it’s an issue with the first batch of wheels, shouldn’t Kingsong do the responsible thing and issue a recall for certain serials?

To do what exactly? They don’t even know for sure what the issue is, and while stats show only first batch wheels are affected, it is not clear if this is even a relevant criteria.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kael said:

If it’s an issue with the first batch of wheels, shouldn’t Kingsong do the responsible thing and issue a recall for certain serials?

All would be so much easier if people with issue report to their dealer and all other that have a perfect working wheel stop writhing about what if the guy next doors sister heard about someone the town I another country had an issue with a wheels.....are seeing what I am coming at here? If you have an issue report it, because some sneezes it is not the same as they have Ebola. 

And yes I seem to be the only one with a working wheel in this thread...really!!! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Unventor said:

All would be so much easier if people with issue report to their dealer and all other that have a perfect working wheel stop writhing about what if the guy next doors sister heard about someone the town I another country had an issue with a wheels.....are seeing what I am coming at here? If you have an issue report it, because some sneezes it is not the same as they have Ebola. 

And yes I seem to be the only one with a working wheel in this thread...really!!! 

Mine works lovely, thin line between supplying useful information and spreading global EUC panic ????

• Upvote 1