R.I.P. 18L

hal2000

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, for me the firmware that came with the wheel, if not upgradable, would have made me sell the 14S because it was not a fun wheel. And if I had the V10F right now, it would be sitting in my closet because it's essentially unusable for the kind of riding that I enjoy.

I hope someday Gotway releases a wheel that can be upgraded. There's hope yet. They seem to be listening to the market considering the changes made in the MSX. Still might be a few years :facepalm:

Yeh, they all seem to be listening to their customers which is a good thing.  I think the fact that KS recognized the error and fixed it quickly says a lot for th ks14s issue.  Same here with the 18L. But they really should have caught this issue before releasing it.  Guess the pressure of releasing this wheel got to them.  

I’m sure GW will eventually add that feature to their wheels.  Then they too can release f’ed up firmware like all the others! LOL

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Really, i have seen and ridden a lot of EUC....but this one really left me impressed! For sure not the best performance/most powerfull wheel in the market...but qualitywise and its appearance....worth the wait!

My 2cents....

So the KS18L really impresses you, huh? so why in the world did you have to change your name from KingSong69 to US69 for anyway? What does the US stand for now? Unicycle Supreme? ?

9 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

So the KS18L really impresses you, huh? so why in the world did you have to change your name from KingSong69 to US69 for anyway? What does the US stand for now? Unicycle Supreme? ?

I think Ulf wanted to get away from people always thinking that he was associated with KingSong. He does buy Gotyway wheels too.

"US" are his initials.

i’m using ios version 7.0.7 and it seems to work fine for me on my V10F, but i’m not demanding at all on my wheels. i haven’t had any down time because of software issues since new.

if i can get android or apple software to work as good as my V10F is working, on the 18L i’ve got coming, i’ll be fine.

6 hours ago, Ethereal said:

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think Ulf wanted to get away from people always thinking that he was associated with KingSong. He does buy Gotyway wheels too.

"US" are his initials.

Marty is on point...

Ulf- Light bulb just went on in my head. Makes sense now. We are also FB friends. What a small EUC world this is. My first name is Adam.

While generally it's a good thing that the firmware can be updated over-the-air, personally I've never updated either of my KS's. If there's something that really needs fixing, it's a good thing, other than that, I view it similarly to computer motherboard BIOS-updates: you don't do them unless you really have to. If the update goes wrong and bricks the entire motherboard, you'll end up having to replace it (unless you can replace the Flash / EEPROM -chip, which I think is usually soldered, not socketed). I think newer KS's have some separate boot-ROM area and are able to restart the firmware update in case something goes wrong, so it's not that big of a risk (when it comes to bricking the device), but if the new firmware is faulty and fries your board... nope. Unless there's something that I absolutely need in the new versions (and enough people have acted as crash test dummies, ahem, tried and reported the update working OK :P), I'm staying with the current versions (being 1.00 for the KS16S and I think the B was 1.23).

Btw, Ninebot carries the "not so great" achievement of being the first to brick a big bunch of wheels with over-the-air firmware updates, sometime in the late 2015's...

• esaj pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Been hearing a lot of bad things about the 18L, and of course, it being a brand new product, I'm not surprised. However, I do get the impression that KingSong are using the most enthusiastic of its userbase as beta-testers, which I am not happy about, because that means if you buy a brand new line of product from them, you can't trust that your wheel will even function when you receive it. I'm not sure what I'll buy to upgrade from my Ks16B yet, but at least the 18l will have been out for a while when I make that decision, and maybe KS have got their pipeline more streamlined and most importantly, nipped any fatal bugs and QA issues in the bud. 

3 hours ago, Issah said:

Been hearing a lot of bad things about the 18L, and of course, it being a brand new product, I'm not surprised. However, I do get the impression that KingSong are using the most enthusiastic of its userbase as beta-testers, which I am not happy about, because that means if you buy a brand new line of product from them, you can't trust that your wheel will even function when you receive it.

I really don't see why you come to that conclusion. It simply doesn't make any sense that statement.

As for quality control and initial bugs is another matter. It is the risk of being an early adopter. Seen from a risk perspective it is always better to wait a bit until a product has proven its reliability.

EUCs in general is a fairly new product so it does not have the same production history and technology history of let's say a bicycle. This alone will give a higher potential risk for quality issues once a product reach real end users hands and being used live. You can only do so much with a little group of testers.

7 hours ago, Issah said:

Been hearing a lot of bad things about the 18L, and of course, it being a brand new product, I'm not surprised. However, I do get the impression that KingSong are using the most enthusiastic of its userbase as beta-testers, which I am not happy about, because that means if you buy a brand new line of product from them, you can't trust that your wheel will even function when you receive it. I'm not sure what I'll buy to upgrade from my Ks16B yet, but at least the 18l will have been out for a while when I make that decision, and maybe KS have got their pipeline more streamlined and most importantly, nipped any fatal bugs and QA issues in the bud. 

From my point of view, it's a fantastic wheel ! It works, and I'm really surprised how reactive KS is to fix some issues that exists and how transparent they are with users... I'm not talking about comfort of driving which is different to each user, depending what he was expecting... I'm talking about real hardware/firmware issues. Trolley is bad but KS made a new what that they already sent to users for replacement. Most firmware issues are fixed in the latest version, and they are still investigating the issue where it seems that software crash while in trolley mode... So all in all we are not really beta testers... We are just having a product that is new, that was fully tested but of course there could be some issues that they missed... No one can do that.. Car makers also some time do a big recall for issues that seems important for security...

On 7/5/2018 at 2:20 AM, eddiemoy said:

Yeh, they all seem to be listening to their customers which is a good thing.  I think the fact that KS recognized the error and fixed it quickly says a lot for th ks14s issue.  Same here with the 18L. But they really should have caught this issue before releasing it.  Guess the pressure of releasing this wheel got to them.  

I’m sure GW will eventually add that feature to their wheels.  Then they too can release f’ed up firmware like all the others! LOL 

Well, if they asked for the board to be sent to China because they could not reproduce the issue, I guess they missed a specific scenario or serie of events, which may happen.

What is bothering me most is that sales go on, and existing owners are not being warned...

21 minutes ago, em1barns said:

Another wheel freezing with battery going down and heating up in France: https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/5731-ks18l-blocage-roue-puis-surchauffe/

What's interesting is that the user mentions the disengagement option kept returning to "Auto" every time he turned on the wheel.

1 hour ago, em1barns said:

What is bothering me most is that sales go on, and existing owners are not being warned...

This is also what's bothering me. I'm very enthusiastic about KS18L and after first ~25 km ridden last two days I'm very happy with my decision to buy this particular wheel. Today I want to make a range test. However I made a lot of preparations for eventual problem, and to avoid it I decided to carry my wheel insead of trolleying it, even if I alreadey deactivated lift sensor at all. Personally I hope the problem may arise only in "trolley mode", which previously was active below 5kph, now with limit set down to 2kph it may be harder to exploit this error (which is good for us, but bad for KS R&D team). Nonethless, it's still possible as no news from Kingsong about the cause and possible resolution.

1 hour ago, em1barns said:

What's interesting is that the user mentions the disengagement option kept returning to "Auto" every time he turned on the wheel. 

I think he mistook light sensor with lift sensor. I don't want to sound unfair to this poor guy, but I hope he had lift sensor active. This would save the theory that disabling lift sensor helps avoid this problem to occur.

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

I think he mistook light sensor with lift sensor. I don't want to sound unfair to this poor guy, but I hope he had lift sensor active. This would save the theory that disabling lift sensor helps avoid this problem to occur. 

His lift sensor was on, indeed. Keeping mine off, for now. Even though it is not confirmed as being involved in the issue, I still find the solution adopted by KS to be over-engineered.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, ir_fuel said:

Sooo....

right now we have:

- Gotway: we all know they have reliability issues

- Kingsong: new wheel with reliability issues

- Inmotion: new wheel with reliability issues

Let's hope the Z10 will be ok :lol:

z10 with its sharp pedal support that hits the calves while carrying it makes your calves have reliability issues haha :P 

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

z10 with its sharp pedal support that hits the calves while carrying it makes your calves have reliability issues haha

Production Z10's have had all those sharp edges rounded off to solve that issue found on the pre-production demo examples. Also, Ninebot have used a New mainboard/firmware giving 1/3rd more power/torque on the production wheels, so I hardly think there are any real "showstoppers" to mention where the Z10 is concerned!

Pedal Brakets Z10.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone reading this thread only about 18Lproblems, please not, according to another thread firmware 1.07 DID NOT fix the problem.  Infact as of the date of this post, as far as I am aware, the problem has not been identified and fixed.

Archived