Zigzagging with the Ninebot Mini Plus

On 7/4/2018 at 10:15 AM, Atharif said:

Great demonstration of the infamous Mini tilt back.

After a year of riding the MiniPro, I have adjusted and accepted this as part of the riding experience.  I can understand the frustration when riding in a bike lane and attempting to exceed the speed limitations.

I often ride on sidewalks and pedestrian trafficked lanes or where runners frequent.  I can pass most runners.  It’s an easier pace than competing with the speed of bicyclists.

I’ve found my space and pace on the paths.

Just gliding.

What a good definition, infamous Tilt-Back, yes, it's horrible, I think NineBot or Segway have completely exceeded their security systems, making them dangerous, it's funny that one thing they put for safety and it turns out to be more dangerous than safe.

I do not mean that they have to remove the backward movement, I think it is necessary, what I say is that they have put it so excessive, that it is dangerous, no matter how bad you are driving, they can not take away the address of a device or make it so uncomfortable, that's why it's easier to fall to the ground, than in another way.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video.  Sorry I don't speak Spanish and the subtitle in English might have lost something in translation.  Your video looks like your miniplus was swerving left and right by itself when the automatic Tilt-Back was engaged which makes the miniplus/pro a lot more dangerous?  Or did you make the miniplus/pro swerve left and right yourself?  I ask because I experienced a situation going downhill where my minipro accelerated to a speed that caused my minipro to engage its auto Tilt-Back but the minipro also started swerving left and right which eventually caused me to jump off the minipro.  I'm trying to figure out if that swerving left and right while the minipro had it's automatic Tilt-Back engaged was caused by the minipro or whether I accidentally forced the knee steering bar back and forth?  So in your video, are you confirming the miniplus/pro is doing that dangerous swerving of the mini left and right when the automatic Tilt-Back is engaged?

4 hours ago, Wingsdomain.com said:

I ask because I experienced a situation going downhill where my minipro accelerated to a speed that caused my minipro to engage its auto Tilt-Back but the minipro also started swerving left and right which eventually caused me to jump off the minipro.

In the Segway/Ninebot App there are "sensor settings" which are "automatic" by default. I have found sometimes the steering gets 'twitchy' unless you switch off automatic and lower the steering and ride sensitivities between 20-30. Have you tried this?

Thanks trevmar, I have not tried the sensor settings yet but the knee bar seems to be fine in most normal circumstances.  It was only when I was going down a long downhill and the minipro picked up speed which caused the mini's automatic Tilt-Back to engage, that the mini started swerving left and right causing me to lose control and I had to bail.   But I don't know if the minipro's automatic Tilt-Back was the cause of the mini swerving back and forth or somehow I just accidentally nudged the knee bar back and forth.  So I see in Atharif's video how his mini swerves left and right but could not determine if he was doing that on purpose, OR if the mini was doing the swerving left and right due to the automatic Tilt-Back the mini does to slow itself down when it is going too fast which would be very dangerous and will cause the rider to lose control. So the main point of my question was to determine if Atharif's video was his confirmation of the miniplus/pro doing that dangerous swerving of the mini left and right when the automatic Tilt-Back is engaged. 

Well looks like you're choosing to keep it at tilt back... Tilt back is suposed to be a warning not a position, when you get tillback your suppost to slow down it's telling you you're going too fast and then when you really go too fast it's beeping at you...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, Wingsdomain.com said:

Thanks for the video.  Sorry I don't speak Spanish and the subtitle in English might have lost something in translation.  Your video looks like your miniplus was swerving left and right by itself when the automatic Tilt-Back was engaged which makes the miniplus/pro a lot more dangerous?  Or did you make the miniplus/pro swerve left and right yourself?  I ask because I experienced a situation going downhill where my minipro accelerated to a speed that caused my minipro to engage its auto Tilt-Back but the minipro also started swerving left and right which eventually caused me to jump off the minipro.  I'm trying to figure out if that swerving left and right while the minipro had it's automatic Tilt-Back engaged was caused by the minipro or whether I accidentally forced the knee steering bar back and forth?  So in your video, are you confirming the miniplus/pro is doing that dangerous swerving of the mini left and right when the automatic Tilt-Back is engaged?

I do not know exactly what deviation you mean, I do not notice anything out of the ordinary, if you can expliac a little better and say the minute of the video where exactly that deviation comes out, I can answer better

On 9/4/2018 at 11:31 PM, trevmar said:

In the Segway/Ninebot App there are "sensor settings" which are "automatic" by default. I have found sometimes the steering gets 'twitchy' unless you switch off automatic and lower the steering and ride sensitivities between 20-30. Have you tried this?

I go very fast, sometimes I have done this, it improves stability very fast curves, but the truth is that once caught the point of balance, no need to touch sensors, the Mini Plus is not going so fast to modify nothing, because with your balance, you can correct a lot the possibility of changing direction, downhill, take a stone, bad terrain ...
It's like an EUC, it's your balance that carries the vehicle

On 9/5/2018 at 12:13 AM, Wingsdomain.com said:

Thanks trevmar, I have not tried the sensor settings yet but the knee bar seems to be fine in most normal circumstances.  It was only when I was going down a long downhill and the minipro picked up speed which caused the mini's automatic Tilt-Back to engage, that the mini started swerving left and right causing me to lose control and I had to bail.   But I don't know if the minipro's automatic Tilt-Back was the cause of the mini swerving back and forth or somehow I just accidentally nudged the knee bar back and forth.  So I see in Atharif's video how his mini swerves left and right but could not determine if he was doing that on purpose, OR if the mini was doing the swerving left and right due to the automatic Tilt-Back the mini does to slow itself down when it is going too fast which would be very dangerous and will cause the rider to lose control. So the main point of my question was to determine if Atharif's video was his confirmation of the miniplus/pro doing that dangerous swerving of the mini left and right when the automatic Tilt-Back is engaged. 

No, the TiltBack does not make the Mini start spinning, like any vehicle, for example going downhill, due to the inclination, if it is turned, the advance angle goes faster, causing any vehicle downhill to spin, about everything is slowing, is physical, an EUC or a car also happens, that is corrected with the experience of the pilot, once the experience is caught, it is a physical that is not appreciated, you are correcting it with your balance in a sub -aware. Do not go in a fast car and downhill and suddenly brake, the car will turn and start spinning.

On 9/5/2018 at 5:50 AM, MetricUSA said:

Well looks like you're choosing to keep it at tilt back... Tilt back is suposed to be a warning not a position, when you get tillback your suppost to slow down it's telling you you're going too fast and then when you really go too fast it's beeping at you...

Yes, unfortunately the Mini Plus is too slow, but it has machinery to go faster, to force it a bit, to go to an average of 20, I do not see it as dangerous, the danger depends on the eyes that look at it. But I can tell you that it is quite annoying, when I demand more, as in this video, I end up with a pain in the soles of my feet, very, very strong.

Actually, I usually go to a maximum of 18/19, but sometimes it is necessary to ask for more.

I'm already waiting for the Z10, precisely to be able to go faster, but I think that my daily vehicle will be my Loomo, in the city I do not need more than 18, for my 20Km per day.

Archived