IPS unicycle not working

Clare

I have an IPS model 0260 i260+ which stopped working a few weeks back after coming off a curb, it had taken many bumps prior to this and had been working perfectly.  Now there's no power to the wheel and I've tried charging but still nothing.  I have taken it apart to see if there's anything obvious but everything looks like it's connected.  Does anyone have any ideas or know where I could get it fixed?  Really missing using it!

Any help would be really appreciated!

thanks

17 minutes ago, Clare said:

Now there's no power to the wheel and I've tried charging

The usual questions we always ask:

• What ACTUALLY happens when you try charging?
  • does the wheel turn freely when turned off?
  • Does the wheel still turn freely when you try to turn it on?
  • do any LED’s come on when turned on?
  • was there a smell of burning or any obvious burnt components?
  • while you had it apart, did you measure (carefully) the battery voltage from the battery output I.e. power plug - probably a yellow plug/socket like the below - but not necessarily

image.jpeg.1b9e1e62c40ec25362456a028e68b11a.jpeg

When plugged into power: The power indicator flashes once. The power adapter flashes red once then goes to green.

The wheel doesn’t turn freely. 

The power indicator turns green for a second then no light at all.

Nothing smells burnt

I don’t have anything to measure the battery voltage with.

I do have the yellow plug in mine but no way to measure voltage.

A4FFC3B9-6060-4EB9-8CF5-94ED66DC18BD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Clare said:

When plugged into power: The power indicator flashes once. The power adapter flashes red once then goes to green.

The wheel doesn’t turn freely

The power indicator turns green for a second then no light at all.

Nothing smells burnt

I don’t have anything to measure the battery voltage with.

I do have the yellow plug in mine but no way to measure voltage.

A4FFC3B9-6060-4EB9-8CF5-94ED66DC18BD.jpeg

I am sorry to say that it sounds like the mainboard burnt something.  I've read that when the tire is hard to turn, one of the mosfets burnt up from a high current spike.  I think the mainboard on IPS is sealed in a box inside the wheel.  

If the tire (motor) resists turning with power turned off, usually the cause is dead mosfet(s) in the mainboard shorting two or more motor phases together, so the motor is always braking. 

If memory serves, at least the older IPSs (like this one, don't know about the new I5/S5/whatever there are) had the battery BMS built-in with the control board. Could be that the system is "smart" enough to not allow charging when it detects the mainboard has been damaged. No idea if it can be fixed, a skilled electronics-person should be able to identify and replace any dead mosfets, but if there are some other damaged components also, it becomes harder. The safest bet is to replace the entire mainboard, but I don't know if anyone carries those... 1RadWerkstatt?

Archived