Griffith Park Sunset Ride (and special treat) - July 14th 2018, Southern California

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When I receive my MSX in ~3-weeks, you're welcome to travel up here to see me. I can let you ride it and the ACM2 if it would help your decision. Keep in touch.

I just saw the update on ewheels, and from the looks of it, we would be getting ours at the same time, since the shipment is just 1600Wh versions. So, it looks like I would have to make up my mind sooner than later! Thank you for the invite though, I might make the journey back up to LA again once I gain some experience on whatever my next wheel ends up being.

I just finished re-watching your videos on the MSX and ACM2 as refreshers. I've heard the ACM2 described as having the torque and maneuverability of a 16" while having the stability of an 18" wheel, and my main draw to the MSX compared to the ACM2 would really only be how well it handles off-roading/cruising because of the bigger and wider tire. It seems to me like the ACM2 has been able to handle everything you've thrown at it, and after taking time to think about how much I would actually be utilizing the larger MSX tire (for extreme off-roading), I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra money/weight. Besides, as long as it doesn't crash or get too hung up where an 18" wouldn't, I think I would enjoy having to put more focus into riding on more technical off-roading areas on the ACM2. It gives me something to do as opposed to just rolling over harder sections (more focus on the journey as opposed to the destination). And, I'm not too sure of this since I haven't ridden it, but people have reported that riding the ACM2 feels like you're just riding on a solid piece of metal, almost like an anvil (thanks @Stan Onymous for the analogy) with few disturbances from the road, which seems to check the "good crusier" box that the MSX would also check.

So I guess if I had to ask you one question to help in the decision process, have you noticed the ACM2 having trouble in certain areas where your MSuper does fine? Some bumps are fine with me, I'm talking about sections where it was very hard to control the smaller wheel as opposed to having no such issue with the bigger wheel. If you haven't, I don't really see too much of a need to spring for the MSX, as the ACM2 apparently is a decent cruiser as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: Unless someone points out a big weakness of the ACM2, like poor offroading, I’ll most likely be ordering one by the end of the night. Besides, some offroading capability can apparently be gained by replacing the stock tire with a mad mike tire, which I've seen done, if for whatever reason the stock tire doesn't cut it.

My plan, if I chose the MSX, was to use my 14D as an around-town wheel and the X as a long journey wheel. However, today I just learned that my onewheel-owning friend’s girlfriend has been looking to get into the personal electric transport scene after seeing my friend have such a blast on his board. So, he proposed I sell my 14D to him for her to use sometimes and for him to have a fun time on (they would be commuting to school together on their one-wheeled self balancing vehicles.. what a time to be alive!) It looks like that deal is now pretty close to going through, so there wouldn’t be too much of a reason to have just the MSX, as I would be missing some benefits of the smaller wheel. Plus, this situation ended up working out as a big money saver for me compared to what I would have spent on the MSX+accessories, even if I only bought the fast charger.

I think I’ll be pretty happy with my choice, as Marty has told us that the ACM2 is a great general-purpose performer, great hill climber, and one of his current favorite wheels. Just as I sort of subconsciously made my 18L vs MSX post to convince myself to go for the X (before I really looked into the ACM2), my friend pointed out that I really subconsciously made this comment to convince myself to go for the ACM2. I was trying to find a ‘catch’ in the ACM2, because it seemed a bit too good to be true that I could get nearly MSuper-like specs and performance for near $500 less, but I guess it truly is a good value! Thanks everyone for giving their input during the ride and afterwards on what to consider in this choice.

1 hour ago, ndmcc said:

Update: Unless someone points out a big weakness of the ACM2, like poor offroading, I’ll most likely be ordering one by the end of the night. Besides, some offroading capability can apparently be gained by replacing the stock tire with a mad mike tire, which I've seen done, if for whatever reason the stock tire doesn't cut it.

My plan, if I chose the MSX, was to use my 14D as an around-town wheel and the X as a long journey wheel. However, today I just learned that my onewheel-owning friend’s girlfriend has been looking to get into the personal electric transport scene after seeing my friend have such a blast on his board. So, he proposed I sell my 14D to him for her to use sometimes and for him to have a fun time on (they would be commuting to school together on their one-wheeled self balancing vehicles.. what a time to be alive!) It looks like that deal is now pretty close to going through, so there wouldn’t be too much of a reason to have just the MSX, as I would be missing some benefits of the smaller wheel. Plus, this situation ended up working out as a big money saver for me compared to what I would have spent on the MSX+accessories, even if I only bought the fast charger.

I think I’ll be pretty happy with my choice, as Marty has told us that the ACM2 is a great general-purpose performer, great hill climber, and one of his current favorite wheels. Just as I sort of subconsciously made my 18L vs MSX post to convince myself to go for the X (before I really looked into the ACM2), my friend pointed out that I really subconsciously made this comment to convince myself to go for the ACM2. I was trying to find a ‘catch’ in the ACM2, because it seemed a bit too good to be true that I could get nearly MSuper-like specs and performance for near $500 less, but I guess it truly is a good value! Thanks everyone for giving their input during the ride and afterwards on what to consider in this choice.

You won't be disappointed. I still stand by the ACM2 as my personal favorite wheel if I had to only keep one. It really does it all. I said this about the previous version of the ACM, but when the ACM2 become available it just got that much better. Except for the Monster, no other wheel exists that we give the same range (the KS18S and MSuper V3 (X) are bigger and heavier, so not quite as efficient - but we're splitting hairs).

I think you just need a gentle push. Was that enough? :D

P.s. You really won't need to change the tire. Trust me. I've done it, but the change is subtle and I have two ACM2's. If I only had one I'd keep the stock tire.

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You won't be disappointed. I still stand by the ACM2 as my personal favorite wheel if I had to only keep one. It really does it all. I said this about the previous version of the ACM, but when the ACM2 become available it just got that much better. Except for the Monster, no other wheel exists that we give the same range (the KS18S and MSuper V3 (X) are bigger and heavier, so not quite as efficient - but we're splitting hairs).

I think you just need a gentle push. Was that enough? :D

That’s good to hear! Yep, I’m over the edge now. By the end of the week I’ll be living the Gotway life!

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. You really won't need to change the tire. Trust me. I've done it, but the change is subtle and I have two ACM2's. If I only had one I'd keep the stock tire.

In that case, I’ll probably pick up an extra inner tube from ewheels in case I encounter some catastrophic tube failure that slime can’t fix (like a rip due to impact trauma, which negated the effects of slime in one of my 14D tubes). I’ll be sure to pick up a Chao Yang tire down the line if/when I ever run the stock one down to its last legs. Thanks for the advice!

1 minute ago, ndmcc said:

That’s good to hear! Yep, I’m over the edge now. By the end of the week I’ll be living the Gotway life!

In that case, I’ll probably pick up an extra Chao Yang inner tube in case I encounter some catastrophic tube failure that slime can’t fix (like a rip due to impact trauma, which negated the effects of slime in one of my 14D tubes). I’ll be sure to pick up a Chao Yang tire down the line if/when I ever run the stock one down to its last legs. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, always wise to have a spare tube. I keep a spare 10, 16, an 18 inch tubes. Probably should order a 14-inch too. I think you can count on getting 2 to 3 thousand miles on the stock tire.

Please follow up and let me/us know how you like the ACM2 after you've had it for a bit.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, always wise to have a spare tube. I keep a spare 10, 16, an 18 inch tubes. Probably should order a 14-inch too. I think you can count on getting 2 to 3 thousand miles on the stock tire.

Please follow up and let me/us know how you like the ACM2 after you've had it for a bit.

I’ll be sure to follow up! I’ll probably write a review over in the reviews section once I’ve had some time to get comfortable with it. 

On 7/15/2018 at 9:56 AM, Stan Onymous said:

We had all the latest Wheels out there. The Z10, the V10F, the KS18L, the Tesla, all in one place on one ride! Amazing showcase of the vehicles and tremendously fun!

@Michael Vu brought the KS18L so many thanks to him for being the reason and bringing some awesome toys. Shampoo was adorable. A definite mascot for the sport. Total pro!

Lots of new members joined the ride, and they should sound off here so we can remember their forum names now. Ha! We had a count of twelve including Shampoo. One rider had to leave early for dinner, but one rider even stuck around late to try out my KS18s. We even had a ks14d that made it all the way with plenty of left over power. It had more battery left over than my V8 which has a comparable battery.

If you are wanting to go on one of these rides join up. We had a rider who only had 28 miles on his first EUC. We had a rider who just started two months ago. Also, Janet made this ride the first co ed ride I have been on and we need more women to join our rides, so kudos go out to the Vus.

If you missed this one join up for the next one. It is always fun and good times are had by all.

I was that one rider who had to leave for dinner! Even though I was only there for the beginning I had a blast. Really nice to test the V10 and Ninebot Z. Nice meeting everyone!

We had a great turnout for this Griffith Park ride and Z10 Demo.

Here we are high above Los Angeles. From the left: @Rama Douglas, @Stan Onymous, @Nick McCutcheon, @noisycarlos, me, @1Wheeler, @Michael Vu, Janet, Shampoo, @maltocs, and David (David, if you're on the Forum please let me know your Profile Name).

IMG_20180714_201946025

And another view

IMG_20180714_201813036

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_20180714_201946025

OMG... If you all held a sign up with your prisoner numbers on them, it would look a lot more natural!!!   :blink1:

Talk about your usual suspects!

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Will there be a video of this ride too?

Yes. Just takes time :efee96588e:

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, Marty! That video really warmed my heart. Excellent editing, and filming, and soundtrack for that matter. I had no clue you had other footage of Bill from below his epic stair descent. That was awesome to have both those angles! Too fun. Let's do another! Thanks for the video!

21 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Wow, Marty! That video really warmed my heart. Excellent editing, and filming, and soundtrack for that matter. I had no clue you had other footage of Bill from below his epic stair descent. That was awesome to have both those angles! Too fun. Let's do another! Thanks for the video!

Glad you enjoyed the video Rama. @maltocs was filming at the bottom of the staircase and gave me his footage :thumbup:

For sure we'll be riding again.

Archived